Technical Please Help!! ASR Issue

Currently reading:
Technical Please Help!! ASR Issue

nvt2014

Evening all, i have a 2020 Fiat ducato which has just gone for its first MOT, it failed on ASR switch not functioning. Ignition on asr button lights up for a few seconds and then goes out, corresponding lights on istrument cluster also light up. Once vehicle is running press asr button and nothing happens.
Any help greatly appreciated

Is it under warrantee? If so back to dealer with it.
Anyway round it has to connected to diagnostic computer to find out why in van computer turning asr light on.
The asr warning light on dash should come on and go off when ignition turned on.
The asr button is to turn off the asr if driver wishes- if the warning light is on then asr is off.

Warranty ran out 2 weeks ago, no codes present when scanned with MES.
ASR light is not turning on, that is the problem the asr button has no function whatsoever

Does the instrument panel show an asr light when key first on that then goes out after a few seconds?

Sorry I think that's covered by your first post as a yes.

Ignition on - If you press and hold the art button for a few seconds does it do anything?

My opinion is if the asr light comes on at key on and goes out the system is working and should be an mot test pass.
If tester is keen then he/she/they could issue an advisory notice about are off button.

Sorry I think that's covered by your first post as a yes.

Ignition on - If you press and hold the art button for a few seconds does it do anything?
No it doesn’t, and that’s what it has failed the MOT on, driving me mad

Not a solution to the fault but for mot you could put tape over asr switch and take it to different test station.

For the fault you may have to ask the selling garage if they will look at it under warranty as it has occurred so soon to warranty expiry .

Has the switch ever worked?

I don't want to raise false hope, BUT, you could interpret the wording of the manual to indicate that it is only switchable whilst actually on the move (rather than simply ignition on). "While driving, the ASR can be switched off and subsequently switched on again by pressing the ASR OFF button" (my underline).

I can't test that, as my vehicle is fitted with the additional "Traction Plus" for which the manual implies (as I would expect) with different wording that it works whilst stationery (and it does).

If it hasn't been tried whilst mobile, it's worth a try (or maybe other forumites can confirm whether it switches off (and the light comes on) whilst only "ignition on")..

Edited to add: The function is described slightly differently for the very similar Peugeuot Boxer, so I'm not confident :confused:

Last edited:
I don't want to raise false hope, BUT, you could interpret the wording of the manual to indicate that it is only switchable whilst actually on the move (rather than simply ignition on). "While driving, the ASR can be switched off and subsequently switched on again by pressing the ASR OFF button" (my underline).

I can't test that, as my vehicle is fitted with the additional "Traction Plus" for which the manual implies (as I would expect) with different wording that it works whilst stationery (and it does).

If it hasn't been tried whilst mobile, it's worth a try (or maybe other forumites can confirm whether it switches off (and the light comes on) whilst only "ignition on")..

Edited to add: The function is described slightly differently for the very similar Peugeuot Boxer, so I'm not confident :confused:
Afraid it didn’t make any difference, driving or stationary. Not really sure what else to try

Did button ever work?

Go to dealer and beg for help under warranty as it only just expired and fault was there while under warranty but not noticed?

Put tape of same colour as switch over switch and go to different mot test centre?

It is traction control not braking related the tester may have got confused over this.

From fail sheet What is the exact wording and numbers relating to test rules ?

That's a bit old but makes the point about confused testers

You could completely **** off the tester and test centre by filling out the form for vehicle failed but you don't think it should. Not use the vehicle wait for mot standards to inspect your vehicle and make a decision - I really reccomend you do not do this.

Far better to just find another test centre .

Did button ever work?

Go to dealer and beg for help under warranty as it only just expired and fault was there while under warranty but not noticed?

Put tape of same colour as switch over switch and go to different mot test centre?

It is traction control not braking related the tester may have got confused over this.

From fail sheet What is the exact wording and numbers relating to test rules ?
Electronic stability control switch not functioning correctly 7.12 (d)

Electronic stability control switch not functioning correctly 7.12 (d)

There is the error, read the link I posted, it is not an esp switch ,
It is asr switch - anti slip regulation = traction control = not an mot failure

You could talk nicely to the test centre and explain/show handbook description of ASR traction control.

Or go to another test centre speak to tester , tell them what has happened at first centre , state that it's traction control not esp and ask if they would pass it- if answer is yes pay for another test there.

Back