Technical Plastic Doo-Dad, and news on Barchetta repairs needed

Currently reading:
Technical Plastic Doo-Dad, and news on Barchetta repairs needed

MarlaS

Hi all.

I am still buying the 96 Barchetta, in Geneva. Today I had it inspected by an independent garage.

There are a few problems that the dealer is going to fix (split plastic back window in the top - the dealer split it by closing it when it was too cold .... wtf.... the hand brake, and fluid, and the cambelt and water pump, and the lights so they go to high beams). Otherwise it is in good shape.

However I will probably need a full new top in the future, as it needs the rubber gasket seals all around the car's roof top replaced, and also it needs a left plastic doodad for the part near the seat belt - think it is this part http://www.barchettaparts.com/catalog/index.php?route=product/product&path=1&product_id=1263

Henk calls this a hedging convertible rod - is this the plastic cover piece I think it is? In the manual, I do not see this piece of plastic but it is the item I circled in red in the photo attached.

best,
MarlaS

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 18.04.57.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 18.04.57.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 66
I've not heard that part being called a "hedging convertible rod" before! Something definitely lost (or gained?) in translation there!

Those covers are easily dislodged. They are held in place by a flimsy spring-loaded hinge, and if they are knocked, they can easily become detached, and... ping! Away they fly!

When I bought my B, the cover on one side was missing. It's purely cosmetic, and they are quite expensive to buy (€30 for a small piece of plastic?!!) so I didn't worry about it. Ten years later, when I dismantled the interior to get at the fuel tank, I found the missing cover, buried deep down behind the seats. If I hadn't found it, I wouldn't have bothered buying a replacement!

Good roof seals, on the other hand, are vitally important if you intend to drive your B in the rain, or to park it outside. But they are increasingly hard to source, and expensive - each piece (and from memory, there are 9) is likely to cost you at least €30, perhaps more. If you buy a new soft top, they don't come with new seals. :(

My solution? I keep my B in a garage, and it never goes out in the rain!

Last edited:
Hi Gar074 thanks for this info.

I plan to keep her gararged, at home and when we can go back to work, but also not drive in the rain, either. The undercarriage is rust free and as we salt our roads here, so that will not happen either.

I see on Henk's site a new rooftop, cover only is about 400-500 EUR. Seals are extra as you note. This will be a part of my longer term fix up plans for sure.

Best,
MarlaS

Every B needs new cover flaps at some point of time, the thin plastic near springs will deteriorate and eventually fail. I have a metal set of covers from Henk, expensive but will last me forever.
One thing to watch for about softtop, is to make sure side hinges will not catch the fabric when folding softtop together. Hinges can act as scissors and wear the fabric quickly. Also watch for plastic window to fold properly. It will all become important after you install your new softtop )

If the underneath is rust free it needs plenty of underseal. But remember that they rust from the inside as well. If the window seals are bad it means rain has probably been getting in and under the floor cover. It’s a common problem and the interior will need stripping out and sealing.

Agree with above , every time you open the hood , make sure the plastic window is folded carefully and neatly .

In my 8 years on the road with the Barchetta , I put the hood down roughly
1 million times and was careful every single time and never broke the plastic .

I also drove it in the rain , couldn't avoid it when halfway through a trip to

Scandinavitaly .

I keep a length of thick (10cm diameter) foam pipe insulation in my B's boot, for when I put the soft top down. If you place it in the fold of the rear screen before closing the lid, it stops the plastic from creasing and splitting.

No need to keep it in the boots as it will roll out into the storage space ready to be put into the fold next time you put the roof down.

Getting and fitting a new hood isn't a great deal but the seals are the real problem and v.expensive to replace - even then they are second hand. Take great care removing them (don't forget the small securing screw in each one).
I have repaired one, that had a split the whole length of the seal, by carefully instant gluing (flexible) the split together and then injecting a fair bit of jointing silicon into one end (the end piece will come out and can be re bonded with the same silicon), carefully but quickly, work the product down the "tube" of the seal to try to coat (not tooooo thick but it's guess work) the internal surface as best as possible. When set the silicon stays very soft but helps to support the seal and keep everything together. Worked for me.
NB the jointing silicon is not the bathroom type but the one for the mating surfaces of gearboxes and other engine bits etc.

Best of luck

No need to keep it in the boots as it will roll out into the storage space ready to be put into the fold next time you put the roof down.

Getting and fitting a new hood isn't a great deal but the seals are the real problem and v.expensive to replace - even then they are second hand. Take great care removing them (don't forget the small securing screw in each one).
I have repaired one, that had a split the whole length of the seal, by carefully instant gluing (flexible) the split together and then injecting a fair bit of jointing silicon into one end (the end piece will come out and can be re bonded with the same silicon), carefully but quickly, work the product down the "tube" of the seal to try to coat (not tooooo thick but it's guess work) the internal surface as best as possible. When set the silicon stays very soft but helps to support the seal and keep everything together. Worked for me.
NB the jointing silicon is not the bathroom type but the one for the mating surfaces of gearboxes and other engine bits etc.

Best of luck
Hello Turinng, All,
Been a long year since buying my Barchetta and it runs well and is so much fun! I drove to Italy on Easter, loved it!

I just ordered a new soft top and a few parts from Henk in NL. I am looking online now for the videos on replacement of the top, and how to ensure preservation of the deals. Good tips here and I am going to havea professional do this for me but want to understand what is needed for the process. I see this which is helpful as I also need one of these doodads, which I ordered too.

I see this thread here https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/replacement-hood-how-to.71093/ from @Alan.D so I am going to study this and share with the garage guy.

I also found this video (in Italian) of the removal parts (seems to be missing replacement videos per comments). And this one too with nice jazz music

In any case it is nice to be back in this forum now, and have a bit more time for puttering with my B.

A photo of my B on a drive in Switz near vineyards

5584C499-A7FB-4602-8A37-BF2471963376.jpeg

Back