Technical Plastic clips

Currently reading:
Technical Plastic clips

Daveof49

I have just fitted my new alternator and have only just noticed that some of the little black plastic clips that hold the black plastic panels in place (just below the window wipers ) have broken. There are about twelve of them in total and are about 7-8mm in diameter - as viewed from the top.

The panels needed to be removed in order to remove the nuts that hold the diesel filter holder in place which had to be removed to allow space to get the alternator out etc etc etc - nothings ever easy:cry:.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased? Have looked on the internet but cannot find any. Trying to avoid Fiat dealer prices !

I had the same problem. They're reusable, but they do get tired after a few years of Croma maintenance.

I went to my local stealer, Perrys of Portsmouth. They wanted over £1 EACH for new ones. So I laughed and walked straight out.

I then went to Euro Car Parts, round the corner and got some standard Trim Clips. They were a quid or two for a pack of ten. They work better than the originals, and look better too. They also reuse without getting ruined.

Just take an original clip along, I think there were 2 or 3 sizes, just get ones that will fit with a bit of a shove.

The originals are quarter turn to release, might be able to save some. I replaced mine and they were about £1.20 each, I have the part number if required.
When released they tend to jump to freedom and disappear.

I don't remember them being quarter turn. I don't think rotating them does anything - it just goes round and round. You have to lever the pretend screwhead up from the collar, which then releases it so you can pull the whole thing out. I've found that side cutters (used very gently) seem to be the best method.

Mine were alright until I got a new windscreen. Auto Windscreens pretty much tore them out.

Definitely quarter turn, which will allow reuse, if not already destroyed by someone replacing the pollen filter.

I'll have a look next time I pull mine apart to settle this massive row, unless anyone else can settle it!

It was a while ago, but I'm sure I remember looking at one and concluding that the screwhead was just cosmetic and didn't seem to have a purpose. From what I remember, there's just a sort of bulb-shaped lump on the shaft that pushes the ears out when the screw is pushed in. It's not the cam-shape that would be needed if rotating did anything.

Congratulations on being the recipient of my 1000th post. I must get a life.

Quarter Turn: This will then allow you to lift the screw head upwards.

Basically these "buttons" are the same as the expanding wedge types where you push the plastic center pin inwards to expand the out base, except that the screw head and turn allow the pin to be easily lifted.

On my Croma I've had a couple missing from new, especially where they are supposed to go through the overlapping trims. Some are just too short to fix securely.

On my Croma I've had a couple missing from new, especially where they are supposed to go through the overlapping trims. Some are just too short to fix securely.

Some of them seem to expand at the wrong point to grip into what they're meant to be holding. I found that the generic trim clips actually hold better than the originals.

I can't find a picture of the ones I got from Euro Car Parts online, but they're very simple and don't have any sort of pin in the middle. They work well though. I've tried to scribble what they look like (attached).

Basically it's just a plastic spring, which pushes against the sides of the hole and pulls itself in.

Ebay's full of all sorts of trim clips, with and without pins. I certainly wouldn't pay Fiat prices for theirs that don't even work properly.

...and I still don't think that turning the screw does anything!

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 162
If you have the genuine Fiat clips, then one quarter turn should release them. Then they will sometimes pop out and disappear.

I managed to find some clips on ebay, slightly different design to the original but work on the same principle. Work extremely well. Cost £3.50 for a pack of 15 including postage. Can't remember the site name as I type but if anyone is interested in them I can look up the site name and post the details.

The cloips I bought were described as FIX121A SCREW RIVET FIXING CAR TRIM BODY PANEL CLIP x15 from JS Clips on ebay.

The originals are quarter turn to release, might be able to save some. I replaced mine and they were about £1.20 each, I have the part number if required.
When released they tend to jump to freedom and disappear.

Dear Keithglos
Can I have the part number please?
Thanks in advance
Vento

I should have suggested you check with the supplier as to application of this number before ordering.
I suspect they may be used on a later Punto, so possibly in stock.

I don't think they're GM. I think generally the oily bits are GM, bodywork is Fiat.

Back