Technical How do you get those funny jubilee clips off?

Currently reading:
Technical How do you get those funny jubilee clips off?

BrianMcL

I'm just in the process of swapping the thermostat for a new one and can't see an easy way to get those funny jubilee clips off, even by cutting them with tin snips.

Is there a technique or should I just carefully snip away?

There are two types of clips you could be referring to.

Type 1. A band that has a clinched back section and a step/ridge that overlaps a raised section directly opposite. The clinch, step and latch are all press formed into the jubilee clip band. This type can be remove and refitted with the correct hose pliers.

Type 2. A band that has a clinch section but the actual clinch uses a large/thick round collar. This collar is about 4mm in diameter and 2mm thick. Quite substantial compared to the band and clearly a separate item and material from the band. These type also have a overlapping grooved/ratchet type adjuster which is fixed during manufacturing.

For Type 1) then you can use the correct pliers, or parallel jaw nails pliers/cutters using a gentle squeeze and lift. Band can be resused. With this band it is the clinch at the back of the band that provides the correct band tension. You can also use a blade screw drive to lift and separate the overlap joint. This will be more difficult, take a little teasing and band/latch deformation and damage the beyond reuse. You can also force open the clinch but again a new band will be required.

For Type 2) I use a small spike/bradawl and insert it through the centre of the 'C' clasp and gently twist making sure you adjust your twist action and angle so as to not damage the hose. A new jubilee clip will definately be required.

Nick

Last edited:
Hi Nick,
It's the hose clips around the thermostat and I didn't have anything that could budge them so I just took Doofer's advice and broke them off.

I'd got the 25 pack from Halfords yesterday (not the best quality but hopefully good enough) and fitted them as replacements.

Didn't manage to get the thermostat off though. I got as far as the bottom thermostat bolt / nut combo arrangement thing and couldn't get the steel pipe that's fitted to the same bolt as the thermostat out of the way despite removing the 10mm nut and the steel pipes at either end of the steel tube. And all of the surrounding pipework for the steel tube, the stat itself and pretty much anything else that was in the way :(

Back