Pioneer DEH-4800BT replacement

Currently reading:
Pioneer DEH-4800BT replacement

coagulator

Hi all
Fiat Punto Grande 2006
I replaced the standard stereo with the above pioneer and had a few problems along the way,First i couldn't get it to power up but after reading a few threads i eventually wired a switched live from cig lighter and thought bingo but still didnt work so got the multimeter out and the switched live was working fine but i had no constant live to the stereo.which i presumed should be on the yellow cable as i had given it a switched live on the red from cig lighter.
So after testing the plug on car i found a red/white thick wire with 12 volts constant so i spliced this to the yellow and worked.
Im just worried i don't spike the cambus or something ive been reading about,i drove it 100 miles haven't seen any problems just wanted to check with you guys who have the knowledge.
One other question i thought after buying the iso to iso adapter PC2-32-4 autolead adapter the steering controls would work but no joy ???
any help appreciated i purchased the adapter from halford and they said it would work.
Many thanks for reading sorry its long winded.
julian

Back