Technical pinking cinq with a chip

Currently reading:
Technical pinking cinq with a chip

jonestown

i was wondering if anyone could help me. i recently purchased a tuning chip for my sporting. the initial performance increase was great (i soon got used to it and felt i needed more) but before long i noticed the car was pinking quite badly when pulling up hills.

The guy i bought the chip off suggested there may be something wrong with the lambda sensor or the MAP sensor, however, my idea is that the chip is advancing the ignition too much.

i tried using a higher octane fuel and the problem was solved on all but the steepest hills. i put the original back in, drove up the same hill with normal unleaded and it was fine, albeit a little slower.

Has anyone else suffered from this problem. The chip was 50 quid from ebay. Does this make me a mug? Is Mcritch still selling his and do they need premium fuel to run at their best? Thanks for any help on this.

Have you got a link to the original auction at all?

May help if others are familiar with it am assuming its not a stupid ebay resistor thing

Last edited:
d
thanks for your reply, i don't know how to do the link thing, but no, it's not a resistor, it's a proper chip specific to the ecu, apparently with german tuning files although no real facts are present. i guess trhe point is, beware buying such things on e-bay. The performance is great, but that obviously means nothing if it's going to melt your engine and take your bearings out. would be very interested to hear any more bad chip stories. Purchased mine about two months ago.

i notice there's a seller on e-bay right now from singapore. it's not that one, but i imagine the product they're selling is pretty poor.

Is he from iraq or somewhere like that?? im sure i saw some one on ebay selling chips from around that area......

A bit of a coinsidence because someone off this forum from that area PM'd me asking if i could copy my Avanti chip for him. I have the equipment to do this but never got round to it...and now im glad :tosser:

It was a UK seller, and in all fairness, the car goes like a rocket with it in, it's just that damn pinking which i know is doing the motor no favours. Having said that, i'd love to know where the chip originated from. Does yours run okay on standard unleaded?

Back