Phone Upgrade

Currently reading:
Phone Upgrade

My mobily is due for upgrade in the next month or two.

So far o2 have given me an n95 (which died after falling onto the floor at Burger King. RIP :bigcry :) then the replacement n96 lasted a matter of days before being crunched when I borrowed Stuartys vectra (don't ask!)

Since then I've bought a cheap LG from Abyss which, though useful as a phone, has slowly driven me nuts every time the touch screen un-calibrates itself.

So here's the question. What phones next? I like a bit of tech around my phone, and will quite happily set up pop3 email on it, browse the forum etc. So what do you guys recommend?

By all acounts the iphone is to be avoided like the plague. Anyone any experiences, good bad or otherwise with HTC/Dell???

i think im going to try and get an htc desire myself, heard nothing but excellent reviews about them

the iphone i good, it really is just the pathetic battery that lets it down IMO

i ate through a full charge in 40 minutes today just using it as a radio..........

iPhone

Mine is starting to slow sometimes, I feel as the iOS is being moved further away from it's hardware state. Said software's a lot more suited to the 3GS or 4 with the faster processors. The thing that attracts me to an iPhone 4 is the speed, display and camera. The speed as it'd basically make the experience I have so much better (and it's pretty good already), the display as it looks even more impressive than it already does and the camera as even though it's "only" a 5MP camera, I've always felt the iPhones sensor/software combo makes rather good use of the MP count. Plus the HD video is pretty amazing for a phone camera - really smooth and not at all what you'd expect from such a camera. You also have the Apple Stores that give properly good customer service and the ability to avoid O2 shops, which is pure bonus.

Downfalls though - price - as with everything Apple you pay a lot. Upgrade for me paying £35 a month is £139 for the 16gb iPhone 4. I got my 3G for free as it was a refurb which was every bit as good as a new one. Secondly, there's the iTunes experience on the PC, which is pants. It's nicer to use than WMP or similar in terms of music playing and the like but I just don't enjoy it. Thirdly, you can't muck around with the software in as in-depth a way as you can with other phones. But then again, that's how Apple like it - unless you jailbreak of course :wink: Fourthly, it's a finger print magnet and even more so with the glass on front and back. You can get Gelaskin covers though that address that. Finally, though the glass is tougher any other iPhone (you can even scrape the front with a knife apparently if you feel like it and not get a scratch), it can still break if you drop it. But then, most touchscreen phones have that issue.

Android

I've been looking at these for a while and the latest 2.2 update seems to have helped a good bit with the OS stabilisation and a few other aspects users wanted/needed. Still not sure about the app marketplace organisation with software compatibilities and such but I'm guessing that could've also also improved. I like the look of the OS and the phones too, the HTC Desire has also appeared on my radar and given it costs £59 on my upgrade, I'm definitely considering it. However, the camera's nowhere near as good at pictures and video compared to the iPhone 4. Some of the apps aren't as polished either I've been told too but then that's software more than hardware. I've seen some nice stuff on Android and the openness and adaptability I've seen really attract me to it. Some phones seem better than others though, for my money at the moment, HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S are perhaps the best ones out there.

The Dell with Android OS is the Streak, which actually intrigued me due to the ludicrous 5" screen. Honestly, if you use it as a phone, you're bound to get a few Trigger Happy TV impersonators around you. That big screen does look good though and having used it in the CPW, it does seem pretty smooth. Uses the same processor as many of the other Android phones (Desire, X1, and in fact the WM7 HD7) - 1GHz Snapdragon.

Windows 7 Mobile

Never thought I'd even consider a Windows Mobile OS phone but here we are. I've seen them in action though yet to play with one but from what I have seen they're rather speedy and pretty slick in the operation. Loads of animated navigation though which could become tiresome. Explorer, Zune (WMP), XBox Live, MS Office - just a few of the well known MS names involved in the OS. Again, HTC do seem to have a nice one with the HD7. Given it's got a 4"+ screen, it's bound to be a talking point and though it's not currently Flash compatible YET (something Android is), it could well be a more media friendly phone. Just need to put up with the crappy MS points system they love to push. PC users though will probably enjoy the ease of integration with all their MS PC based software.

The Others

Symbian, which you've had experience of is on it's latest iteration on the new Nokia N8. It has a 12MP camera and looks pretty slick as well but I've heard it lags behind rivals on the software specs and in that respect feels rather dated compared to these new OS's. It does however have OVI Maps, which apparently in operation is a rather good alternative to a standalone satnav. The N8 also utilises DivX, which should in theory make it rather media friendly though the screen is no bigger than the iPhone's 3.5". Other aspects though like the web browsing leave a bit to be desired apparently.

Blackberry should be considered too as the new Torch is apparently a vast improvement over the previous Storm touchscreen models. My sis has one of the old school (a Curve if I remember right) and she seems to be happy with it. You get the usual array of apps for Facebook and such but they've apparently spruced up the OS a good deal and of course BB is one for being email friendly. The Torch also has the benefit of the pull-out keyboard, which is handy if you hate touchscreen text input. Things that let it down though are the old Nokia issue of slow processors and an overall lack of apps compared to rival OS'. From using my sister's, it seemed decent enough but I'm not sure if you'd have the range of software that Android/Apple have and WM7 will have.

I've kind of rambled on a bit as having issues sleeping, but given I'm vaguely in the same boat, I've been thinking about it a lot :laugh:

Some decent reviews here.

my little brother has the galaxy S and have played with it a few times :) and boy its quick :D the screen is amazing especialy the moving backgrounds but it big :D and i can go big phones i like them to fit in my pocket and not know they are there :D

HTC HERO

I've got this wee bad body on Tmobile. All I can say is HTC Customer service is pretty good (except when they tried to blame tmobile and tmobile blamed HTC. I got no where for a few days) Its an older phone now, and it is quite sluggish - due to the aged processor. Came with android 1.5 but HTC updated it recently to 2.1 =]

Forum use wise, i've browsed this site and many others and made posts etc. Only experience with htc/android so can't compare but it is pretty easy.

Best thing i'd say is go into various shops and try phones.

If you go android, then the Galaxy S seems to be the best atm. Although I am biased towards anything HTC at the moment =]

Recent phone experience of Symbian on SE Vivaz (Excellent) & Nokia X6 (hmm) wasn't very good. Think they both run Symbian S60 software developed by Nokia but the Vivaz version is so much smoother than on the X6 and spec's of the phone are a good bit better.

Personally am bias to android as I've got a SE X10 with android 1.6 which should be upgraded to 2.1 next week and all new X10's will be despatched with 2.1. The HTC Desire is about the same as the X10 tbh with a different screen, think there's a Desire HD version out now too. Loads of free apps in android market and many more that cost a bit.
All android phones require you to have a googlemail/gmail account and can setup additional email to. Everything is/can be sync'd to the net, so thankfully when it does have a wobble, you can restore it fairly easily.

The only issue I really have with the Galaxy S is the way it looks - it's basically a total iPhone rip-off. In terms of size, overall form factor and even to an extent the Samsung version of Android, it all whiffs a bit of Apple...

galaxy-front-270x437.jpg
iphone-3gs-front.png

...but then as has been relayed earlier in the thread, I have heard it's a pretty decent phone besides that. I tried it in the CPW and it did seem rather quick and smooth in operation. And as with most Samsung phones, it also felt rather solid and well made.

Personally though for me the HTC Desire is still the front runner. I like the version of Android they use and the form factor itself. I did have a go on the Xperia X10 but I just didn't get on with it. I'm not sure if it was purely down to the earlier version of Android or the way SE had done the GUI, but I just didn't really like it. Perhaps it's the way I was burned so badly with my old w880i or pretty much the worst phone I've ever had that influences me so much on the subject of SE . For reference, the worst one ever was a Motorola v635.

We're actually getting some handsets before the US, which is surprising to me - normally they get the jump on the UK. We're also getting Windows Mobile 7 a full month early and in turn that means we get early dibs on the handsets too.

Tweeted Jon Bentley of Gadget Show fame the other day and he said that though WM7's not quite as good as iOS or Android, it's almost there and has great potential. And to reiterate what I tweeted back to that response, it's not making my upgrade decision any easier knowing this :laugh:

i have a htc desire runing either 2.1 or 2.2 i cant remember but either way never had a trouble with it and it does all i want and more.

Having just bought a iphone 3G off Gill's niece for Kyle's birthday, Gill has decided she wants to swap her 8mth old Nokia X6 for an iphone. Thankfully a friend has one for sale so she'll pick that up reasonably cheap. tbh having played with the jailbroken iphone 3G am not all that impressed by it. Still convinced the android is a better system, just glad ah didna swap for iphone4

im away to punt the ayefone shortly, so i've re read this thread with added interest

i still stand by the choice of looking for an htc desire as its replacement i think

Mrcento said:
im away to punt the ayefone shortly, so i've re read this thread with added interest

i still stand by the choice of looking for an htc desire as its replacement i think

anything android an imo yer onto a winner! In a way HTC are ahead of SE as HTC are running enhanced android 2.2 atm and SE are just rolling out there enhanced 2.1 version. I think it's the enhancements that make the android version. Having seen the utube vids of SE 2.1, it doe's look awesome and in my bias opinion better than HTC's :wink:

Only problem I've had with all my SE phones is this X10 now has a habit of losing all it's contacts! Granted there backed up online with sony sync but it's a pita to do an never works right!

I used to have a real soft spot for SE but they did burn me pretty bad with that w880i. It's a different sector entirely, I know but I'm still a fairly satisfied iPhone user. It's a bit simplistic and not very involved if you want to delve into the workings of a phone's UI, though obviously jailbreaking one does help.

As said in my other thread, I'd like the Z or HD over the standard Desire though said standard one is still a very highly rated phone and though the 2 I'd like have enhancements, they're both very similar underneath. I'd like the Z's fold out keyboard but along with the added specs and screen size of the HD. To give you's an idea of them...

The HTC Desire Z...

HTC-Desire-Z2.jpg

The HTC Desire HD with the standard Desire to it's right...

HTC-Desire-HD3.jpg

Probably won't be able to afford either till January and the wonders of Christmas finish though.

thread resurection!

my iphone's days are limited i think, i can't exit anything on it because the home buttons gubbed, some days i lose text message ability and the battery life has got so short a full charge with limited usage is 45 minutes.

soooo, im in the market for a phone :) seen a few good deals appearing for htc's and nokia n8's

SE Play and Arc have just been released and the NEO will be with us at the end of the month :) BUT if yeh fancy the Ipoo5, I'm of the understanding that it'll be 5th June release so maybe a bit away for what you need. Even with all the annoyances av had with the android/SE X10 handset, ad have another and happily recommend them.

Having played with the WM7 HTC phone in the O2 shop in Carlisle, ah have to say am quite impressed on first viewing.

Suppose it depends if you want locked back into a contract or have the money to buy a "unwanted upgrade" from the bay to keep you free to change contract/phone as you please.

Back