General Petrol or diesel?

Currently reading:
General Petrol or diesel?

rinsor

Hi
I am thinking of a post facelift multipla 05-08 either petrol or diesel. No preference but was wanting to what people thought of each. Not concerned about consumption as only do about 7kmiles per year. What age/milage timing belt replaced any other things I need to look for. Car will have under about 35k miles.
Ta

Hi
I am thinking of a post facelift multipla 05-08 either petrol or diesel. No preference but was wanting to what people thought of each. Not concerned about consumption as only do about 7kmiles per year. What age/milage timing belt replaced any other things I need to look for. Car will have under about 35k miles.
Ta

diesel for me everytime. more power, smoother, better mpg, more durable.

petrol handles better though.

72k or 5 years whichever is sooner on the cambelt side, for both engines.

Hi
Ta

“7kmiles per year” & “diesel” are somewhat contradictory.

Generally speaking you’re looking at 15K+mls per year (at some revs/knots) for a diesel to be viable.

If you’re looking at buying a 5yo diesel that’s only done 7K mpa – you maybe buying trouble. (Possibly an engine that’s rarely achieved optimum temp. to burn-off soot deposits). Then continuing at 7K mpa maybe running towards more trouble … i.e. big repair jobs at Sooty Motors.

References:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...iesel-and-advice-on-buying-a-convertible.html

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-vs-petrol

Ive had a 52 reg petrol and when I sold it, it had 36,000 on the clock and currently have a 53 diesel with 42,000 on the clock. As others have said the diesel is more economical and even though I dont do many miles I noticed this straight away when I changed from a petrol to diesel. The diesel has a higher towing weight than the petrol just incase you plan to tow at all. The petrols however are a smoother drive and mine drove like a brand new car. Good luck in your search whichever you choose Im sure you will be really pleased as I love my multi and you cant beat the on practicality.:)

Last edited:
Back