Technical Performance Mods - Where to start?

Currently reading:
Technical Performance Mods - Where to start?

Two Cents

Right, here goes!!!

I'm in a very lucky situation right now, just sold my 'toy' and currently have a '98 Cinq, Broom Yellow with about 48K on it waiting for some fun and a little cash to spend.

It was my previous 'runabout' but has been mothballed for a year and is a really sound little car and mechanically standard.

I know she'll never be a Honda Integra Type-R (previous toy) but I love little cars and always loved the Cinq which was why I kept it stored; so where to spend my money?

Priorities will be front brake upgrade as they are shot, suspension, then more power. Don't really know how far this will go but just want to have some fun as I can't find anything else to buy and to be honest don't know what I want anyway. Suggestions please on make, price, source of suitable parts.

Its always a difficlut thing to answer when you have no idea of budget.

Front brakes, the only really worthwhile upgrade if you want to stop really well is the Punto GT calliper route with just some nice new discs and good pads. to give an example I run these with MaxTorq discs which were about £40 and Mintex M1144 pads about £50 and they are very good, easily better than the brakes you were used to on the teggy. The only downside is you need 14" wheels to fit them inside, otherwise they are a straight swap. There is also a big brake conversion from TarOx available from Gazzella racing www.gazella.cc

If wanting to retain standard callipers people rate the Red Dot discs with green stuf pads, s/s brake lines are always good (£50ish) and brake fluid change is always a step in the right drection.

Suspension, well i posted a link to 25% off FK Automotive coilovers which I think work out £408 which is good for what you get, you can get stuff from all the usual suspects like Koni, Spax www.motorsportworld.co.uk is a good starting piont as you can search by vehicle and see the options that each company has.

GSR induction kit is very good and about £100 PM Oldschool for one as he is the man behind the design, and manifold & exhaust by the likes of CSC (though of highly in integrale cirlces I have centre box fitted very easily and well made) from gazella or supersprint and Janspeed also offer options.

I'm sure that having the teggy you are aware of the normal routes to take when i the hunt for more power, the Cinq is no diff from any other car only you can for little money drop a 1242cc engine from a Punto 60 and little effort if mechanically minded in any way.

HTH, Aaron.

get some brembo pads and disks (y) and for suspension, theres quite a few good kits but i`d go for a koni set up :D

Obviously it all depends on budgets. Brakes have been suggested, as have suspension. 400 quid for a full lot, cant say fairer than that!

I drive a 1242 cinque, and while its a fair way off integra standards (read: ENOURMOUS) its power-weight a few simple engine mods mean it give a lot more than you would expect a run for its money.

New year plans include a Turbocharger, giving me CRX performance (just under, but I also plan some headwork - so who knows)

All in a car that handles like its on rails, without the strut brace that is currently sitting in my grandparent's dining room.

Thanks for replies so far folks.

If (and it is only if right now) I was to drop a 1242 lump into it, presumably it'll be Ok with the standard inlet manifold, fuel systems, ignition etc, yes?

I think I recall that the exhaust needs to be extended downwards due to a taller engine block on the 1242? If so, a performance manifold bought for the 1108 would be rendered useless or is that not the case?

Thanks again. As I said, don't know how far this will go but I've got a sound car to work with anyway. I do know that I won't go turbo, not on a Cinq. I prefer properly sorted normally-aspirated engines and believe I can get all the speed a Cinq can handle that way.

Two Cents said:
Thanks for replies so far folks.

If (and it is only if right now) I was to drop a 1242 lump into it, presumably it'll be Ok with the standard inlet manifold, fuel systems, ignition etc, yes?

I think I recall that the exhaust needs to be extended downwards due to a taller engine block on the 1242? If so, a performance manifold bought for the 1108 would be rendered useless or is that not the case?

Thanks again. As I said, don't know how far this will go but I've got a sound car to work with anyway. I do know that I won't go turbo, not on a Cinq. I prefer properly sorted normally-aspirated engines and believe I can get all the speed a Cinq can handle that way.

https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=22060 got all the info u need about engine swaps (y)

Back