Passport...

Currently reading:
Passport...

Yazza54

Established member
My passport has run out and I need to renew it, theres a car in Northern Ireland that I'm after... will I need a passport or just ID to get in? I think I should just need ID because it's part of the UK but I'd be very grateful if someone could confirm!!

i have been told by my irish housemates that if flying you will require passport, they were not sure about driving tho.

Ryanair will demand a passport. Any other airline will take photographic ID. Going by boat needs no ID.

Its the exact same for NI and ROI due to the common travel area, despite being different countries in the case of ROI.

You don't need a Passport to fly within the UK, and possibly not even to ROI, but in the consideration of terrorism concerns a photographic ID will be needed, so as much as possible would be good.

However, check with the airline as some require higher standards than others. If you're thinking about bringing a car back, you might get a better rate if you go as a foot passenger on a ferry from Holyhead and then bring the car back with the same line.

If you let me know which airline you're thinking of flying with I'll ask when I get to work tomorrow.

Not sure which airline you're flying with, but I asked at the flybe and BMI desks today and both will accept you on domestic flights with photo id, which could be a photocard driving licence. They will also accept some other forms of id such as University id and expired passports.

i think this is a point why id cards are a good reason. but do you want to be on a government database and not know how its being used i rather be spied on
Don't forget...you already are on many databases - some government ;)

The I.D. cards the Government want us all to have contain biometric information, namely a fingerprint. The only people who can access that information would be a Government department, such as the Police. I.D. cards may have their uses, such as proving your age getting into pubs or buying booze for the gang of goths round the corner, but are actually sod all use for anything else.

If I had a twin, even if he wasn't identical, he could probably get away with using it, unless he was fingerprinted.

I have a storage unit which is very secure as I have to scan my thumbprint to get into the building. The problem is, the machine doesn't recognise my print. I have to get a bloke to use his to open the lift for me.

Some of the airlock type doors at the Airport use a retinal scan. Mine aren't recognised by the scanner. I have to get a security bloke to open the doors for me.

Maybe all this technology isn't a great as it's supposed to be.

Back