Technical Passenger Seat / Steering Wheel problems

Currently reading:
Technical Passenger Seat / Steering Wheel problems

My passenger seat's broke and my steering wheel has gone funny :mad: :bang::bang:

When pulling the handle up on the side of the seat to let passengers in the back the back part of the seat tilts forwards, but the rest of the seat no longer moves, making it near impossible for passengers to get in to the back.

Anyone had this before and how do i sort it out (y)

I don't know if it would get fixed under warranty, as it's in it's third year warranty, and unless the a**e is pretty much falling out the car Fiat normally won't touch it :mad: though i've yet to phone and ask

Now for the steering wheel problem - on the right hand side of the steering wheel, across from the spoke (not sure if that's the right word for it - i hold my my across from the centre hub) the leather is starting to come away from the steering wheel, and it's all crinkly and flapping about, quite horrible actually.

I'm really annoyed cause this is the second time that this has happened since owning the car :bang:

I know a few others have had this problem, but has anyone actually had anything like this fixed in the 3rd year warranty?

Thanks (y)

will it move with the handle at the seat front?
see this
https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/185389-seat-runners.html

Andy - you're a star thanks bud (y) :worship:

For some strange reason the seat appeared to have locked on the runners. I lifted the handle again, it didn't move, so i pulled the seat forward using the forward and back adjuster underneath the seat, and then pushed the seat back in to position.

I lifted the handle on the side of the seat again and hey presto it moves all the way again.

Rather bizarre indeed!

Just need to see if i can get the steering wheel sorted now (y)

I went to the dealers yesterday to enquire about the steering wheel, and for once i was actually quite impressed with the services from the dealer, coffee and daily news papers whilst waiting (y) which is more than what i can actually say about Fiat themselves :bang:

As the car is in the 3rd year warranty they had to see if they could get authorisation from Fiat themselves to see if they could claim under the warranty.

Low and behold Fiat declined :bang: (n)

I shall be phoning Fiat themselves to make a complaint.

Is the steering wheel not classed as a major component? At the end of the day you can't steer without it :D

Damn substandard quality

My steering wheel had done the same when i bought mine last september and its a 56, it took fiat 5 months before the actually changed it for me and it was grey leather but goin darker now :S but still, better than a ripped crappy 1, problem is my gear knob is doing the same now and fiat want 50 quid so gonna have keep lookin on ebay!!

My steering wheel had done the same when i bought mine last september and its a 56, it took fiat 5 months before the actually changed it for me and it was grey leather but goin darker now :S but still, better than a ripped crappy 1, problem is my gear knob is doing the same now and fiat want 50 quid so gonna have keep lookin on ebay!!

My car is on it's second steering wheel now due to the exact same problem, and this one has gone the same way, so talk about shoddy quality, and this steering wheel was replaced about 14 months ago.

£50 for a gear knob :eek:

Speak to Chris@souls he might be able to get you a bit of discount on that, he works in one of the Fiat dealers i believe, and he also does business on ebay (y)

I have the same flaky rubbish steering wheel issue. I tried to get it done under warrenty, but a knob from the dealer noticed I wore a ring, they told Fiat this & they declined to replace as they said it was the ring that wore it down. Which is stupid.
How many people wear a ring/wedding ring & have there steering wheels ruined? No a lot. Maybe the gear knob. But the steering wheel is just crazy. The Bubbles/flaking I have are at the very top of the wheel when the front wheels are in the streaight position. I dont drive like a chav & hold the steering wheel at the top. The only time its touched is when Im moving it. I dont grip it there & even if I did, you dont hold the wheel fully in your palm.

I tried to dispute it with Fiat UK, who were rude & kept hanging up when ever I challenged this. I even wrote to complain about one the steering wheel & second the attitude of the Fiat UK person who I spoke with!

Never herd anything back & have since long given up on Fiat.

I hope my cars written off (See accident thread) so I can get rid of it.

Oh, & I had new brakes put on the other week, the dealership noticed oil leaks. I had 3 in total, One on the gear linkage, a seal, a second on the near side drive shaft, another seal & third was the sump, which was replaced as it was a "odd" shape. I have a knock from the front end which I was told was the front anti roll bar, which will need replacing next month, if I get it back.:(:cry:

Well, Fiat got in touch today regarding my dispute over the steering wheel and they are not going to replace it :bang::bang:. Keep quoting third year warranty :bang:

Not impressed at all one bit :mad:....

Speak to Chris@souls he might be able to get you a bit of discount on that, he works in one of the Fiat dealers i believe, and he also does business on ebay (y)

I had myne replaced under 3rd year warranty, thanks n il try for that gear knob..

Last edited:
Back