General Part Exchange Value

Currently reading:
General Part Exchange Value

FiatFleetFamily

Established member
My time as a Croma owner maybe coming to a close. I have seen very near to me a in a BMW dealership a 2006/55 Alfa Sportwagon 2.4 Mjet 20v Ti :slayer: with 52k on clock, which I am very tempted to buy.

Whats interesting, is that the BMW dealer had never seen a Croma. Expecting a bashing with Part Ex value, though quite pleased I think,

My Croma having just under 70K with full history was valued at £3700.00 as a part exchange.

What do you guys think, I think its very resonable price....

Guessing here, but if they show it at close to £10000, then you are virtually giving your car away. What they get for the Croma will be the profit on the deal?

In may last year I sold my 2005 55 Croma 1.9 16V MJT Prestigio in metallic with winter pack with 45K miles to Carcraft for £5300, Fiat dealers offered me 3500-4000 trade in but to be honest I had had enough of poor reliability of both the car and dealers and changed brand completley.

I would say 3700 is not a bad offer all things considered.

This sort of experience really drives me mad. There are very few if any Fiat cars over the years that have been bad by design, bad in use/reliability and bad after correct attention by a decent Fiat dealer with manufacturer support.

Many fall at the last posts of dealer and Fiat UK attention to detail and customer experience.

I currently going through this with my Croma's rear tyre wear. After Fiat contacted me for a customer feedback after my 2nd year service I was asked was there anything else I would like to raise. I said YES. I want to claim for excessive rear tyre wear compensation.

Several weeks later a person from Fiat calls me and said that he had enquired of my dealer re: tyre wear and I had 5mm of tread left. I was also politely advised that road conditions can affect rear wheel tracking and wear.

I could see and hear the water dripping from behind his young ears. I was also advised that overall my original tyres at 24K miles were perfectly OK. So Fiat fit Kuhmo tyres from new, front wheel tread depths at 24K miles are 8mm etc. etc. Beggers belief.

When I politely tried to advise this person that I have over 30 years Fiat servicing and ownership experience, all the tyres have been replaced and the rear wheel geometry as shipped from the factory at -2.5 deg. camber and 6mm toe in was totally wrong the response was almost "what do you expect". I was then challenged as to why I had not raised this issue before. I said I had but the Fiat service bulletin said that if the insode to outside tyre wear was less than 6mm in x miles then there was not an issue. My tread wear was flat, 1.6mm after 11500 miles.

I then explained that because of this badly written bulletin I had no option but to have the car fully computer/laser aligned and then run for another year.

So year 1 = 1.6mm tread left after 11,500 miles - tyres replaced
Year 2 = 24,500 miles tread = 6mm

BIG difference. Now I have the date to support a claim.

Sadly Fiat UK don't have the skills, knowledge or customer service care to realise diddly squat.

I know one person who was advised that because he tows a caravan (like I do) then this accounts for the rear tyre wear. Sheer cr*p and ignorance. Tow ball weight max is about 70kg i.e. one person. So taking 1, 2 or 3 rear passengers (at 70kg each) is, by design, going to increase rear tyre wear to such an extent that 12K miles is acceptable.

Recap. Most Fiat cars are bloody good and issues that are bound to occur can and SHOULD be sorted by an integrated partnership between the Fiat dealers and Fiat UK. Sadly this is not happening in many cases. :devil:

Nick /////

In may last year I sold my 2005 55 Croma 1.9 16V MJT Prestigio in metallic with winter pack with 45K miles to Carcraft for £5300, Fiat dealers offered me 3500-4000 trade in but to be honest I had had enough of poor reliability of both the car and dealers and changed brand completley.

I would say 3700 is not a bad offer all things considered.

On the Geometry issue, the first real chance I had to take the car for a long drive, I could feel the car was all over the place, so took it a 4 wheel alignment centre that i have used before, they said the geometry was all over the place, explained in some detail all the changes they were going to make, I have the data sheet some where (before and after) cost me £65 but the car is so smooth and easy to drive now, such a difference I wonder if this is why the previous owner got rid.....

Guessing here, but if they show it at close to £10000, then you are virtually giving your car away. What they get for the Croma will be the profit on the deal?

Keith

If anything they will prob sell Croma for £4000 to £4500. I have subsequently had other px valuations and all are in the £3500 - £3900 area.

Mine being higher mileage than most, this hit is to be expected, where as Nallen, has posted a Parkers valuation, that is for 40K, allow the extra 30K in mileage and around £3750 is to be expected.

I doubt if a BMW dealer would retail the higher mileage Croma, more likely auction for about £2500? What I meant was their car would be priced to allow the PX valuation to be close to the gross profit on the Alfa, so reducing the trading risk. So what they get at auction would be the profit on the deal.
You could try to buy the Alfa for £7000 ish.

Well I have just ended almost a years ownership of my Croma, a 05 Eleganza Mjet 150.

I parted Exed it against a 08 Bravo Mjet 150 Dynamic with some extra's which I picked up today(y)

The Fiat dealer gave me £4500 in px. The Croma had 16K on the clock.

I paid 7990 a year ago for the car.

I doubt if a BMW dealer would retail the higher mileage Croma, more likely auction for about £2500? What I meant was their car would be priced to allow the PX valuation to be close to the gross profit on the Alfa, so reducing the trading risk. So what they get at auction would be the profit on the deal.
You could try to buy the Alfa for £7000 ish.

I am now a Jan 2006 Alfa 156 2.4 Mjet 20v Veloce Sportwagon.

The BMW dealership bought my Croma for £3700 and I bought the Alfa for £5995 with a full oil and filters change and new pads and discs all round and a 6 month warranty. Cost to change £2300.

Believe it or not that the BMW dealership are marketing and retailing my old Croma for £4650.00 with a 6 Month Warranty.

On the Geometry issue, the first real chance I had to take the car for a long drive, I could feel the car was all over the place, so took it a 4 wheel alignment centre that i have used before, they said the geometry was all over the place, explained in some detail all the changes they were going to make, I have the data sheet some where (before and after) cost me £65 but the car is so smooth and easy to drive now, such a difference I wonder if this is why the previous owner got rid.....

I'm thinking of having a geometry check on my GP. Where did you have your check carried out? ... Nottingham Alignment (NottmCar4WheelAlignment)?

Back