Technical Panda Power

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Power

Hi everyone,

Little bit of madness, but I decided to book my old Chichi into the tuning garage the other day to find out what power/torque she has before the rebuild. So tomorrow she gets strapped onto a couple of rollers for a power run. :cool:

According to the book she has 48hp and 69Nm of torques!

So in the words of the saw films...."I want to play a game" lol.

i am betting 38HP and if I am lucky 60Nm torque as I think the exhaust I have got will have ruined that. :(

Not sure what the winner gets yet...could be a beer....you never know :p

Cheers,
Si

oooooo.... might that be making things too easy! :p

I guess the best 0-60 I have got from the car with its current standard engine is 17 seconds. Not sure if its near that at the moment, certainly running quite well when its warmed up though....time will tell.

Need a few more guesses though :p This is estimated power at the flywheel. Although the results will be at the wheels....probably 23HP lol!! :eek:

The test is at 4pm tomorrow after work...get guessing guys and I'll post up the results and possibly a video of it too. I have never heard my car revving up from outside...i get to hear how loud it reeeally is now :eek:

Si

I'll guess at 38BHP/50nm. From what I have read and my own experience, there is probably only about 10 places in the UK who will give you a realistic figure, let alone an accurate one. Should soften the blow though!

Working on the principle that most old cars are in a shocking state of tune [mine included] I'll knock off 25% ! 36bhp 52nm
[hope you're pleasantly surprised though].

Mike

Well, that was great fun!! Car sounds lovely spinning up to 6,000 RPM. Will have a look at the video in a bit and maybe try to upload it onto youtube if its any good.

Here are the results (at least I hope that they have been successfully attached).

In summary it was 34.8HP at the wheels @ 5,200 RPM

And unfortunately the estimated torque was silly ( i think that there was a problem with the set up), because I very much doubt my car has over 100Nm! :p This also gave a predicted power @ flywheel of 70bhp which is almost what I expect after the rebuild lol!!

So we will have to ignore the flywheel performance data and stick with the power at wheels. Bit of a shame though. At least I can see where I have highest torque (3,000-4,500 rpm - as to be expected for a standard road cam), and also when my power dies! (after 5,500rpm:().

Seems a hard one to judge....I think uno1986 has it though with the power at wheels estimate but lewey you have it on the grounds that the data is completely unreliable!! Still some information has come of it so I am happy.

I will give more warning :eek: when I go for the after test. :devil:

Si

Attachments

• results.pdf
    637 KB · Views: 34
Haha, yes indeedy..now all I need to do is build an engine for under £1000 and then race it to london zoo to see the giant panda before Hammond, on a rocket powered hot air balloon gets there.....or something along those lines :D

I saw your car outside Maynards , thought you might be doing something with the rollers !! :)
Couldn't stop , too much of a rush as usual
Carl

I reckon 35 BHP at the wheels in a 24 year old Panda is a result.. :slayer:. Can't be that far off what it would given when new. Must be the TLC you give it Si (y)

Remember the Top Gear episode when they bought old Italian exotics? I think Jezza's Maserati was down from 190 BHP when new to 85 BHP or something like that :eek:.

Cheers,

Plug

I saw your car outside Maynards , thought you might be doing something with the rollers !! :)
Couldn't stop , too much of a rush as usual
Carl

I did try to sneak it in without too many people seeing..... I didnt want to shock the nation with the incredible power! :devil: BTW, where you hail too? I have recently moved to the area and discovered maynards right on my door step. SCORE!! You wouldnt be the member I met in halfords last year but who's name I completely forgot :eek:??

I reckon 35 BHP at the wheels in a 24 year old Panda is a result.. . Can't be that far off what it would given when new. Must be the TLC you give it Si

Remember the Top Gear episode when they bought old Italian exotics? I think Jezza's Maserati was down from 190 BHP when new to 85 BHP or something like that .

Cheers,

Plug

Yes I have to admit, I am very impressed. I have spent hours and god knows how much fuel experimenting with the timing. Could not find anyone who knew what the timing should be on the 965cc a112 engine except that 10 deg. advance was a good start. The carb seems to be set up ok, but apparantly runs lean towards the high end ( to be expected for a standard road cam) so could benefit from an upgrade on the second main jet. But all is a bit of a farse now as far as setting up this engine is concerned, as I am really hoping to get the engine work started soon. It has taken way too long to get all the necessary parts.:eek:

Chichi might have as much power as that masseratti some day....what an interesting thought :slayer:

Si

Back