Technical Power door locks, driver side not working

Currently reading:
Technical Power door locks, driver side not working

PDXPanda

Mine is a 1996 4x4 Country Club with power door locks. As I understand, I should be able to turn the key and lock/unlock all three locks from any of the three locks. This works for me on the passenger door and the boot, but not the driver side door. The driver side door locks/unlocks with the key as it should, but only controls the driver side door and not the other two locks. What’s the fix? Is something missing in my driver side door? Thanks

Just a thought , is it thinking the other side is the master lock as in LHD or RHD?
Failing that can you rest your hand or ear against the suspect lock/door whilst the good one is being operated to see if it is "trying " to work.
Older vehicles had a separate solenoid to lock/unlock and could fail, later ones are all built into the door lock it's self.
Often if all complete, taking the door card/panel off and lubricating the mechanism helps.

Just a thought , is it thinking the other side is the master lock as in LHD or RHD?
Failing that can you rest your hand or ear against the suspect lock/door whilst the good one is being operated to see if it is "trying " to work.
Older vehicles had a separate solenoid to lock/unlock and could fail, later ones are all built into the door lock it's self.
Often if all complete, taking the door card/panel off and lubricating the mechanism helps.

My Panda is LHR and the left door lock will lock and unlock separate from the other two locks. I do not think it is "trying", as you suggest. When you lock/unlock the left door, it does not activate the other two locks and when you lock/unlock the right door and hatch, they do not activate the left door. It is as if the left door is not connected to the other two locks.

If I knew how the system operated, I could describe it better. I've attached two videos, although I'm not sure if they will play properly on this forum.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Attachments

• Panda Driver Lock.mov
    7.6 MB
  • Panda Passenger Lock.mov
    9.6 MB
I wonder if it could be a bad relay somewhere or an actuator? I'm flying blind here, with no books or manuals. :)

I wonder if it could be a bad relay somewhere or an actuator? I'm flying blind here, with no books or manuals. :)
I would be tempted to take off the door card/panel and investigate further.
In the past I have had to fit many activators/solenoids inside door panels for customers, where they have failed and no longer operate the door lock mechanism.
Sometimes they just make a slight noise, which is why I suggested listening against the door when it is being activated and why I said trying to work.
Also oiling the mechanism when door panel off has worked for me in the past as it dries out and seizes.
Finally with panel off it may be possible that given the age someone has fitted a basic non central locking lock on that side or even that the connection has broken in the wiring loom at the hinge, it certainly wouldn't be the first Fiat with that issue.
Haynes manuals online are probably still available to give some advice.:)

Back