Technical panda gearbox.

Currently reading:
Technical panda gearbox.

Alfizzle

is there any other gearbox i could fit to a 999cc fiat panda to give it a little extra oomph??

it has a five speed atm, but i find that the gears are way to short and there's a lot of extra power to be squeezed from the little man..

also i realize that pandas aren't speed machines, but is there anything worth while tuning wise that i could do to him to make him go more?.. i already have a cat back system fitted and i know there's no point in fitting an induction kit (y)...

would a camshaft out of a 4x4 fit in a 999cc panda clx?.. surly that would make it go abit more?.. would it make the idle abit rough tho?

any help would be appreciated.

list of tuning mods are endless depending on what you want

I think the punto box might be a good idea, will need the mounts bodging and they rod linkages may be different. Lightening the flywheel by about 2kg might be worth doing too. makes the engine rev alot easier. always have the options of porting/flowing the head. bigger throttle body. I've heard that punto 60 exhasut manifold offer better flow so one of those could be invested in. unfortunatley the Panda ECU's are not mappable so if you want one you'll need a stand alone engine managemnet system like emerald/megasquirt.... there is an FAQ in the Cento FAQ's about tuning the FIRE engines too. Cam wise, yes 4x4 cams do fit. not easy to find though. so far all Fizz models i have seen have been fitted with them. Timing may need to be adjusted slightly and the clearances re set to 4x4 measuremnts but yes, they do help. i expect the cams, perhaps a larger TB and lightend fly wheel will make it rev a lot more and offer some good accelration through 2nd and 3rd gears

How big are stock panda TBs anyway? 30mm?

Last edited:
oooo looked at some manifolds on ebay.. do you think it would just be a straight fit?. recon i could get away with using the old gasket aswell:p

is there much from the punto 60 i could swap over to panda?...

is the throttle body any better?

thanks.

hmmm.. i was thinking of getting a mega squirt ecu but last time i looked im sure it only worked with mpi not spi??..:confused:

well it will be staying if i can find some way of squeezing a few extra bhp out of it! (y)

if not its gonna have to go.. untill i have enough money to buy another and do an engine transplant with a 1.2 16v turbo'd fire engine :D

I've checked that before as well.
One think you need to think about.
If you keep original 1.0 Panda engine and fit "faster" gearbox you may loose some power (acceleration) so it could be the best to fit bigger engine (like I'm going to do)
but if you would like to swat it anyway I would suggest gearbox from UNO 1.0/1.1 Fire.
Panda final drive ratio (for 5 gears gearbox) is 3.87
and 0,84 on fifth gear.
Punto 85 1.2 final drive ratio is 3.73 (4.072-sport) and 0,89 on fifth gear.
Uno 1.0/1.1 final drive ratio is 3.73 and 0,78 on fifth gear.

Punto's got bigger wheels so can have different ration but Uno's got albo 13" so im my opinion UNO will be the best. Higher speed, lower rpm (but less power:)

I was thinking to swap just interior parts from Uno into Panda (or just final drive (main gear) if it's possible)

Jakub

I've heard that punto 60 exhasut manifold offer better flow so one of those could be invested in..

is there much from the punto 60 i could swap over to panda?...

is the throttle body any better?

thanks.

TB, exhaust mani fold, and mybe the cams and inlet manifold. all would bennefit from a new map though which isnt possible on the stanard ECUs

not sure I want to be reading this. Got a Punto 60 rotting away on SORN on the drive :chin:
Don't know about the injection models but the carbs were 32's btw.

list of tuning mods are endless depending on what you want

I think the punto box might be a good idea, will need the mounts bodging and they rod linkages may be different. Lightening the flywheel by about 2kg might be worth doing too. makes the engine rev alot easier. always have the options of porting/flowing the head. bigger throttle body. I've heard that punto 60 exhasut manifold offer better flow so one of those could be invested in. unfortunatley the Panda ECU's are not mappable so if you want one you'll need a stand alone engine managemnet system like emerald/megasquirt.... there is an FAQ in the Cento FAQ's about tuning the FIRE engines too. Cam wise, yes 4x4 cams do fit. not easy to find though. so far all Fizz models i have seen have been fitted with them. Timing may need to be adjusted slightly and the clearances re set to 4x4 measuremnts but yes, they do help. i expect the cams, perhaps a larger TB and lightend fly wheel will make it rev a lot more and offer some good accelration through 2nd and 3rd gears

Woudn't it better to just fit a 1242?

:yeahthat:

The money you would spend doing all that's been suggested to a 999cc FIRE and the time/ energy taken in fitting everything, it would be WAY quicker, easier and cheaper just to drop in a 1242 8v. Don't get me wrong, the 999cc FIRE is a great little engine but as the saying goes - "there ain't no replacement for cubic displacement" ;)

Also, wanting more 'oomph' from the gearbox? If you raise the final drive ratio or fit bigger wheels it should theoretically go faster but you will lose acceleration. What exactly do you want - quicker acceleration, higher top speed or both? To get both then you need more power AND a higher final drive ratio. Fitting a 1242 and 14" wheels will be the easiest way to achieve this though your speedometer will under-read from the bigger wheels increasing the rolling radius.

There's a few member on here that have made quicker Pandas and most of them have done it by fitting bigger engines. They will be able to offer you plenty of advice in carrying out such a conversion. I'd also forget about a 1242 16v turbo conversion as you are talking a large amount of money, work and fabrication to make this happen unless you are VERY experienced in mechanics. You will also need to do a lot of work to the suspension and brakes to make your Panda safe enough to handle the large increase in power.

Good luck with your project though and do let the forum know how you get on :)

Last edited:
Back