General Panda Eleganza on Motorways ?

Currently reading:
General Panda Eleganza on Motorways ?

Terry1100

Hi dudes - new here.

I'm thinking about a Panda to replace my Citroen C2 1.1SX.

It's almost always only carrying me and I make a 200 mile round trip every other day on the M25/A2/M20.

The C2 is fine but with 30k miles in 18 months it needs changing now or the trade won't touch it at three years old.

How is the 1.2 Eleganza as a motoway car - I expect to be able to hold 80 - 85 (the C2 can) without the fuel consumption getting too sad (keeping in sight of 40mpg - the C2 manages 41 normally and drops to 38 if I really thrash it).

Panda was my first choice when I bought the C2 but it was too new so there were no discounts around and there wasn't a convenient dealer for me.

Anyone with any experience of both got any other comments in comparison ?

thanks in advance.

Terry

I can't comment on the C2 but rather than the 1.2 Eleganza I would go for the 1.3 Multijet as it is more economical, higher top speed, better acceleration & will cruise at 80-85 mph quite comfortably.

I'm a bit confused. You want to change it because the trade won't touch the C2 at 3 years, with 60k miles on it. What makes you think the Panda is any better in that respect. Financially, you've made the biggest loss on the C2 already. By changing for the Panda, you'd be making the initial loss on that too, so I reckon changing would actually cost you more. Lowest cost option would probably be to keep the C2.
H

The Panda is a great little car. I drive a Stilo but have recently had a Panda as a courtesy car. It was only a 1.1 and it had no problems maintaining 80mph+. I would agree though that the 1.3 diesel is the best option. All the car magazines are unanimous in their praise of the 1.3 diesel in both the punto and panda. A diesel will also maintain its value better with a higher mileage than a petrol engined car too. MPG would probably be at least 50mpg at 80-85mph too.

Thanks all,

I know it seems to be a bad move but the combination of current value, outstanding finance/settlement, rate of depreciation level of discount for the Fiat make sense at the moment (for me at least - I've been watching the depreciation vs the settlement figure) - and I'd get a new car out of it.

I hear what you're all saying about the diesel but as far as I can tell, the Eleganza is only a 1.2 petrol -or did I miss something.

I take the point RE the Eleganza only being available with the 1.2 petrol engine. It really depends on how keen you are to have the extra equipment on the Eleganza. To add air con to the multijet is £500, which would make it approximately the same price. Other than that there is very little difference in "useful" spec between a dynamic and an Eleganza. I would also hope you could get air con fitted for much less by haggling with your dealer too.

Although, now is clearly a great time to buy with 4 years 0% finance. Whichever Panda you choose you will be delighted. You could also consider the new Grande punto that is out in January, although that is a much bigger car, with prices likely to start around £8995.

The Eleganza is only available with the petrol, but you could spec up a Dynamic MJTD and then save money on fuel. 20k a year is into diesel territory for running costs, which means it's a big shame that a MJTD Eleganza Panda isn't available...

My Punto had the same petrol engine as the Panda has and I could get 50mpg or so on the motorway at 70mph, and 60mpg if I slowed to more like 60mph. Soending a few more minutes in the car could save a few quid each journey. The faster you go the more fuel you use as drag squares with speed. Of course if you need to get somewhere quickly then you've got to drive fast...

Personally for that kind of milage I'd look to a larger diesel vehicle for comfort, especially if you can get hold of a lower milage nearly new car.

I once drove a C2 1.1 and it was the most hateful little thing on the motorway; having used a Panda 1.1 in the same environment it would kick it to death so I think the 1.2 would be much better than the C2.

Diesel makes better sense though, so long as you can live without the nice Eleganza goodies (or are willing to pay for them).

If I were you I'd buy a used low-mileage car as a way of protecting residuals; buying a brand new car and putting 30K miles on it in 18 months is like flushing money down the loo.

I've got the MultiJet Diesel model and it's a fantastic little car that I'd highly recommend to anyone. I got it at the end of August and have so far clocked over 4500 miles on it and I couldn't wish for better performance, fast, nimble and 70-80mpg most of the time!
The main reason behind purchasing this model is that it is the fastest & the most economical of the range at the same time! (strange but true) and the Dynamic spec is good enough for most people, unless you really have to have things like aircon (in the UK?!!, yes we have got aircon in our Crown Victoria, which is useful at times but really not that essential over here)

I have a Panda Eleganza and I think that it is very good on motorways. I can easily cruise at 80 - 85 mph and it tops at about 100 mph. Every time I take it on the motorway I am surprised how refined it is. It is actually quiter at 85 mpg than a Toyota Corolla and definetely a lot quiter than other small cars I have driven on the motorway. I noticed that the Panda gets quiter as soon as you get over 75 - 80 mph. Have you noticed the same thing?
Unfortunately I have to sell my Eleganza so if you want a genuine bargain please act fast! I bought it in Februari this year and it has only done 5800 miles. It is in immaculate condition and has foglights, an aluminium dashboard kit and red paint as extra's. I love it to bits but can't keep it on as a 'third' car. Look in the classifieds if you are interested and make me an offer asap. :cry:

Ive just driven an Emotion ( Eleganza for France ) for 13 hours on motorways with a full load and full compliment of passengers and a roof-rack carry bin loaded up and it cruised along at 80mph with minimum noise and fuss. At 80mph it maintains speed up and down hills better than at 70mph in 5th gear, probably because of the torque curve.

Loaded up it got 40.3 mpg, unloaded I can do the same trip for 48 mpg. It is obvious that the 1.3 multijet has more power and torque and will do the job better but the 1.2 suffices nicely.

Back