Technical Panda cross phonebook query & heater settings

Currently reading:
Technical Panda cross phonebook query & heater settings

Hi , thanks in advance for any help, I only get a few contacts synced with name to my phone book in my panda cross. I do have a large number of contacts in my phone, I wonder if I have too many for the memory. In many cases I get just the number of the contact calling me without the saved contact details. Android cat S62 pro with about 1700 contacts saved. Not a big issue, just wondered if I have done something wrong.
Second query is about the heater, when it's cold and using the auto function, compressor light is on, although temp is set to 22 degrees and it's warming the car - am I using more fuel in this setting ?

I have c50 contacts in my phone and the car does see them all. It has been tempremental to do various things in the past. I did once delete all my user data and start again. Once it got the idea, its been fine. I think it should see all your contacts in your phone. I believe its just reading that data not importing it into the car.

If you are using air con yes it will use a little more fuel. In auto it decides if the air con is needed, and if it can run automatically. Uness the temperature is under 5C it will run the compressor and use fuel to do so. Try as I might, I cannot detect much extra fuel consumption or performance loss on mine when the auto aircon is operating so I dont think its significant. The compressor and indeed the whole system is tiny compared with larger cars. This may explain why its not seen to affect things a lot. You can set a high temperature and switch the air con off and the heater seems to work without the air con. I couldnt be bothered for any savings I think are there to be had.

Hope this helps.

I haven't synced my phone book to the car, but always see the number of the caller shown in the dash, and usually their name if they are i my phone's phonebook (only), where there are a few hundred contacts. iPhone connected by bluetooth, 2018 Panda 4x4, basic uConnect radio (not the latest touchscreen version). Sometime though, it chooses not to show the name. Sometimes it chooses not to operate hands free at all... But mostly it works as it should.

Last edited:
Part 2 - the orange air con light will always be 'on' in auto mode, but the compressor may not actually be running. The compressor turns on and off according to the temerpature of the chiller unit. Even in winter, the air con will kick in now and again as that dries the incoming air and so speeds up the demisting. On models with manual heating controls but air con fitted its always good to fire it up to demist, and also keeps the system happy by 'exercising' the compressor which keeps its bearings in good nick and also tends to reduce the changes of leaking by leaping the compressor seals lubricated. The impact on mpg is tiny, the gains from having it on are far more useful (and may save the cost of regassing or of a new compressor compared to a car where its not being operated often enough :) )

My A/C is used almost everyday, wether is to dismist the windshield or to increase/decrease interior temp and I don't seem to find any difference in the fuel consumption. As per the contacts issue showing on the dash, which radio version do you have (year model)?

Part 2 - the orange air con light will always be 'on' in auto mode, but the compressor may not actually be running. The compressor turns on and off according to the temerpature of the chiller unit. Even in winter, the air con will kick in now and again as that dries the incoming air and so speeds up the demisting. On models with manual heating controls but ai measure in spite of tryingr con fitted its always good to fire it up to demist, and also keeps the system happy by 'exercising' the compressor which keeps its bearings in good nick and also tends to reduce the changes of leaking by leaping the compressor seals lubricated. The impact on mpg is tiny, the gains from having it on are far more useful (and may save the cost of regassing or of a new compressor compared to a car where its not being operated often enough :) )
I broadly agree with all HH says, but you can turn the air con light off and have the heater on if you press the right buttons. Savings if any, I can't measure in spite of trying.

Thanks for all the replies, driving economically with auto on 22 degrees, 6.6 lts / 100 km, I was getting just under 6 in the summer. I will try with manual heater setting and see if it improves 😀
Had the Panda for 5,000 kms and 6.3 overall average since then , driving carefully in eco mode

Thanks for all the replies, driving economically with auto on 22 degrees, 6.6 lts / 100 km, I was getting just under 6 in the summer. I will try with manual heater setting and see if it improves 😀
Had the Panda for 5,000 kms and 6.3 overall average since then , driving carefully in eco mode
I always have found you use more fuel in colder weather so this alone will be some of it..

Update - having deleted many contacts in my phone , just 350 now, and repaired my phone, I know see the correct name on the instrument dash 👍
I have c50 contacts in my phone and the car does see them all. It has been tempremental to do various things in the past. I did once delete all my user data and start again. Once it got the idea, its been fine. I think it should see all your contacts in your phone. I believe its just reading that data not importing it into the car.

If you are using air con yes it will use a little more fuel. In auto it decides if the air con is needed, and if it can run automatically. Uness the temperature is under 5C it will run the compressor and use fuel to do so. Try as I might, I cannot detect much extra fuel consumption or performance loss on mine when the auto aircon is operating so I dont think its significant. The compressor and indeed the whole system is tiny compared with larger cars. This may explain why its not seen to affect things a lot. You can set a high temperature and switch the air con off and the heater seems to work without the air con. I couldnt be bothered for any savings I think are there to be had.

Hope this helps.

Back