General panda 4X4 swap, help !

Currently reading:
General panda 4X4 swap, help !

NLK

Hi everybody,
I've just bought a 1990 4x4 panda 1000cc carbs. I'm going to change the engine and i'm looking in the fiat engines. I would like to know if the 1.4 turbo of uno enter in this car because I have a good opportunity for this engine. Is the block the same as the 1372 fire because I have to be sure that it's a directe swap concerning the adaptation engine/gearbox... I 'm ok to modify small thongs like exhaust, or other components but not to adapt the engine to the gearbox... Are the holes for bolt correspondig? and are the silent the same?
Thank you for help because i don't find anything actually
bye

Hi,
ok it seems that its not possible to fit the 1400 cc turbo from uno in the panda 4x4 because the engine doesn't fit the gearbox.(it's not a fire engine). So i have done research and found out the 1.4 turbo of the punto gt (130bhp) wich block is different. Does somebody know if in this case the engine bolts on the geabox directly and if the mounts are similar?
thanks

Hi,
ok it seems that its not possible to fit the 1400 cc turbo from uno in the panda 4x4 because the engine doesn't fit the gearbox.(it's not a fire engine). So i have done research and found out the 1.4 turbo of the punto gt (130bhp) wich block is different. Does somebody know if in this case the engine bolts on the geabox directly and if the mounts are similar?
thanks

The Punto GT uses the same basic engine block as the mk2 Uno turbo. They are both incompatible with FIRE engined gearboxes. You'll also have problems with the exhaust and driveshafts as these too are completely different. And the cooling system. And the ignition/ fuelling system. And the engine mounts. I think you get the picture...

You're best off fitting a bigger FIRE engine and forgetting the UT lump. The 4x4 gearbox will get ripped apart by the UT's torque anyway.

Last edited:
Found the link:

http://www.sarano.nl/foto panda.htm

As you can see, it is possible to fit a Uno Turbo engine into a classic Panda. However, this was a skilled and highly professional job and I suspect as well that it cost a fair bit...

So unless your pockets are deep and you have a wealth of experience in car modifying I suggest you stick with the NA FIRE lumps ;)

Have you considered a rolls royce RB211 jet engine from the Boeing 757-200 series? You might have a few problems fitting it in but it may give you the power your looking for... I'd agree with the boys here and say you'd be better sticking with a FIRE engine of 1242cc or less to save the gearbox but the RB211 is tempting now that there's a down turn in avaition and the price is just dropped under Five Million Euro (y)

Jim

Hi,
Finally i'm going to put a 1242 16v 86BHP that i just found from a brava. I would like to know if I need to change the water radiator or i can conserve the one of the old panda? Last, are the radiator hoses, are they conservable or should i take the ones of the brava?
Thank you
NLK

Hi,
Finally i'm going to put a 1242 16v 86BHP that i just found from a brava. I would like to know if I need to change the water radiator or i can conserve the one of the old panda? Last, are the radiator hoses, are they conservable or should i take the ones of the brava?
Thank you
NLK

The Panda 999cc radiator and 1242 16v radiator have similar capacities, so as long as your Panda radiator is in good condition you can use that. As for the hoses, you need to mix and match to get the best fit.

Have you seen Panda Sport's thread on fitting a 16v FIRE into a classic Panda?

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/119200-how-fit-16v-fire-engine-panda.html

Do also bear in mind that the 16v may be a little too much for the 4x4 system. It's an off road 4x4 NOT a rally car 4x4, so don't go thinking you'll be getting a mini Lancia Delta by fitting this engine! You're only meant to use the 4x4 system up to around 40mph anyway, after that you should only use 2x4 unless you like picking up driveshafts and propshafts from the road ;)

Back