IMG_20220202_090027_1.jpg

Panda Panda 100HP

2009 Panda 100HP

Introduction

This is my recently acquired Panda 100HP and I'm so pleased with it. I purchased a 1.2 Eleganza a couple of years ago as a daily driver and as something for my daughter to leant to drive in. I did quite a bit of work on that car, clutch slave cylinder thermostat, alternator, all the brakes as well as fitting 500 from seats. I just love the quirky Panda, its more like an old mini (of which I had and built up a number in the very dim and distant past) than anything I'd driven for a long time and was cheap and reliable.

My daughter passed her test and is now living in London so I wanted something a bit quicker and what better than the 100HP.

This one has already been lowered and I love the look but I did manage to split the sump withing hours of getting it home !. I Not the best way to get to know your new car but we got it fixed and its been ripping up my commute for a few weeks now,

I'm planning on putting in a cheap 2DIN touch screen head unit and the drivers seat needs a bit of foam but all in all it seems in good shape.

IMG_20220202_090027_1.jpg
100HP cried out for the Abarth turbo engine. But it cried out even more for lightweight brakes and suspension parts to improve tyre contact with the road.

100HP cried out for the Abarth turbo engine. But it cried out even more for lightweight brakes and suspension parts to improve tyre contact with the road.

I get you I haven't driven another one so I can say how much the lowering effects the drive but it can feel like a bit of a lump with the sport activated and at low speed. That said it corners so flat and turns it as hard as you dare yes it can light up the inner front tire when pushed but thats all part of the fun !

I know people are doing engine swaps but whilst I can turn a spanner I don't have the skills, time or money for such things so I'll just make do. I had a 1.2 prior to this so by comparison this is a angry go cart

The "Sport" setting reduces power steering assistance and quickens the throttle pedal action. I almost never use it.

It's indeed quick compared to the 1.2 especially the later VVT version which has boogerall mid range. The issue for me is the very hard ride. Its ok on smooth roads, but where I live the car skips all over the place. It has new shocks all around by the way. It has to be taken very carefully over the back lanes (and there are many down here) making the 1.2 actually the better drive where it matters.

Engine swaps are not as simple as dropping in the new engine. You would need to swap over the complete Abarth wiring system and then the instruments would refuse to play nice. In short it's not a practical proposition. When done you still have the heavy unsprung weights and basic back suspension which uses hard springs and short bump stops (to control roll) instead of ARB and more a more compliant spring setup.

I'm probably in the 'Honeymoon' period (having got over splitting the sump inside an hour of getting it home) this one has been lowered a fair bit so I'd guess the ride is even firmer. Its does remain incredibly flat in the bends but I agree the ride is harsh. My commute is sometimes motorway and sometimes narrow back roads depending on the traffic, its a bit of a handful under power on a bumpy road but entertaining none the less.

Ask me again in 6 months, but I think there is way more good than bad

I sometimes sound like I don't like the 100HP. No true - its a great little car. But its annoying that Foats took the leap and nasty options regarding suspension. Have fitted dshrtewr rear bump stops and softer springs from the 500. They needed spacers at the top to get the ride height right but the better ride over carp surfaces more than makes up for the (slightly) increased body roll.

Front end has new struts with original springs. Not good. The springs have shortened over time so need to be replaced It would like softer spring rates that give the OEM ride height but that's a big ask, so will go with OEM spec springs.

@DaveMcT no I know where you're coming from, back in the day (I am cracking on a bit these days) I had a number of Minis and did all kinds of work on them mainly as I couldn't afford much else and at the time the scarp yards were full of them. The last one was a a later model with 12" wheels and actual disc brakes that I dropped a 1275 MG Metro engine into, I think I had 5 in total.

Great cars but so many design issues that just never got fixed, the engine stay/mount is utter rubbish, they will start to fail break the seal from the exhaust to the manifold and take out the oil seal on the gear selector every time as well as have the engine flopping about, there was a aftermarket solution to this from way back. The distributer faces the from grill, its within 3-4cm from the grill so as soon as it rains it get wet and the car misfires, fixed with a rubber glove....I could go on but I'm already just ranting.

If it wasn't for the stupid pricing and the endless rust issues I would still have one today

Did you know the Metro was intended to have a Maestro type air intake to the side. At the last minute, engine team said no dice you'll have to use the old top feed air intake. Body shop had to redesign the car with a high scuttle to make space. That's highest order corporate incompetence but typical of BL's weak management and corporate nonsense.

Incidentally, the horrible Austin Allegro was almost identical to the Italian Alfa-Sud. We know the latter had paint problems and rusted terribly (especially in UK salt) but it was a 100x better product than the Longbridge offering.

The 100HP has its issues but none that could not be really quite easily sorted. I guess Fiat just went to the newer "cooler" 500 and did the cool stuff to that.

Last edited:
Back