Technical P0342 camshaft sensor after valve cover

Currently reading:
Technical P0342 camshaft sensor after valve cover

Prospeeder

So I have a 2012 fiat 500. I did the valve cover gasket, and changed the oil. Used synthetic 5w30 oil. I’m very experienced at working on cars, none of the job was difficult. Upon startup, engine Doesn’t want to start, you can hear compression come and go, finally starts, engines loud, lifter noise like crazy, engine light on for p0342, misfires, and map sensor. I shut it off, checked everything, ground on valve cover, connectors, etc seem fine. Oils full, you can see tons of oil splashing around with the cap off running. Took oil filter back out looks normal. Took valve cover back off I see no issues. I clear codes, only the p0342 and misfires return. The p0342 returns the moment the engines cranked over. Just key on engine off no fault is triggered.

I checked 5v reference good, sensor ground good, put a scope on it, makes a wave form that looks like a cam signal. I tried another cam sensor, no change. I ohm checked signal wire to computer it’s good. I’m at a compete loss here, what on earth did I do to this thing?

So I have a 2012 fiat 500. I did the valve cover gasket, and changed the oil. Used synthetic 5w30 oil. I’m very experienced at working on cars, none of the job was difficult. Upon startup, engine Doesn’t want to start, you can hear compression come and go, finally starts, engines loud, lifter noise like crazy, engine light on for p0342, misfires, and map sensor. I shut it off, checked everything, ground on valve cover, connectors, etc seem fine. Oils full, you can see tons of oil splashing around with the cap off running. Took oil filter back out looks normal. Took valve cover back off I see no issues. I clear codes, only the p0342 and misfires return. The p0342 returns the moment the engines cranked over. Just key on engine off no fault is triggered.

I checked 5v reference good, sensor ground good, put a scope on it, makes a wave form that looks like a cam signal. I tried another cam sensor, no change. I ohm checked signal wire to computer it’s good. I’m at a compete loss here, what on earth did I do to this thing?
Just a guess and hopefully someone more familiar with your model will get back about it.
Some models with variable valve timing hydraulically controlled, if covers disturbed can drop dirt into the filter for that system causing timing issues and recently it was mentioned the need to change old O rings if disturbing the parts.

1.4 multi air engine
I've never owned one of these or worked on one but I have read quite a bit on them and watched videos about the hydraulic valve actuation. It sticks in my mind that they are VERY particular about oil. Apparently serious running problems can be experienced if the oil isn't exactly "right" I believe there's a filter in the feed to the valve gear which it's recommended is cleaned regularly?

Oil Pressure is 80psi cold. 5w30 Synthetic Oil, Genuine Mopar filter. Tried a cam and crank sensor. I dont see how a P0342 fault would be caused by the multiair brick

Back