Technical Overheating or temperature gauge fault?

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating or temperature gauge fault?

Hi

I wonder if any of you technical bods could advise.

I have posted several questions on here and the advice has been excellent.

Yesterday I drove 180 miles to Suffolk from my midlands home, had no issues at all and my Punto engine just purs as it always has done.

But after 4 hours of inactivity, I got back in the car to drive home, but after just one mile noticed the temperature gauge was on the highest level and the red light was on, I had also put heater and radio on when it started. So I pulled over and turned off the engine, as well as the radio and heater.

I restarted and the temperature gauge just went to normal (mid-point) and I drove home all the way with no further issues though I didn't put the heater on nor the radio (not sure if that would have made any difference though). Ironically, and thankfully, the temperature gauge suddenly went from mid-point up to maximum over about 30 seconds when I was just half a mile from home. So I carried on home. When I turned the ignition off it sounded like something was still turning for about 30 seconds until that wound down to a stop.

Checked car this morning, oil level is fine according to dip stick. Temperature gauge seems ok though I didn't drive anywhere just sat in it for 3-4 minutes.

Is this likely to be a genuine overheating issue or a temperature gauge fault?

Secondly, totally unrelated, I noted that when I was sat in car this morning (stationary) just revving the engine to heat it up, that when I took my foot of accelerator, and the engine spooled down from around 60 revs, it always self-flicked itself up a bit at about 15 revs, back up to 20 revs before spooling down, even though my foot was off the accelerator. Anyone know why this is happening?

Many thanks in anticipation of any help. Non-technical bod here :confused:

I think so, but I bought that 2nd hand and it was fitted. I suspect its on its way out and that which is making the noise when I turn the ignition off.

Just thought it was weird for the temp gauge to go to max temp after one mile. The fan (I think) only kicks in after sitting in traffic. So that wouldn't explain the increase from mid-point to max over 30 seconds after just 1-mile into a journey and then again after 180 miles into a journey.

Last edited:
Just tried a few things on the drive. Added some oil first, just in case it was dry.

After 5 mins just ran the car stationary, noticed it was losing revs a bit but still running, the temperature gauge started going up to max after about 5 minutes even though the 12-blade fan was spinning ok. Well I say ok, the whole fan unit was shaking slightly from side to side so is that abnormal? The actual fan was spinning ok though when I turned the engine off it continued for 30 secs and didn't sound too healthy as it spun to a stop.

But please understand, I am not mechanical at all, that is why I seek help in layman's terms. With the fan running and oil topped up, why would it overheat?

Last edited:
Have you checked the water/coolant levels in the cooling system?

You could also have a problem with your thermostat. If it was stuck closed, then even if the cooling system is full of coolant, and even if the fan is running full whack and blasting air over the radiator, there won't be enough circulation of coolant to give you adequate cooling.

It's a small cheap part (https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=470 even shop4parts dearer one is £20). I changed it myself on the 8V engine, and it's a quick job and you can access it all from above. If you're not mechanical, then I don't see why it would need more than an hour's time from a mechanic.

'course, it could be something else! All that said, I think it's unlikely to be the temp gauge.

Back