out playing with the IR filter again, c&c?

Currently reading:
out playing with the IR filter again, c&c?

arc

this is where i stand
Been a while since i've used the IR filter, but went for a stroll yesterday. All shots are at Stafford Castle.

C&C welcomed, on all aspects including borders (i dont normally put them on)

1>
trees_to_castle.jpg

2>
off_path.jpg

3>
trees_to_castle_side.jpg

4>
castle_hill.jpg

5>
castle_otherside.jpg

6>
castle_side.jpg

7>
from_castle.jpg

They look fantastic, really ethereal quality.

*add IR filter to ever expanding wishlist*

Ps, I like the boarders, gives them depth in my opinion (y)

thanks bob :)

the borders are slightly uneven, out by 3 pixels i think. i was falling out with photoshop at the time, so just left them as they are!

thank-you trev, i'm not sure what canon cameras are like at IR - might need slightly longer exposure, but it's fun playing around :)

IR light is limited, and all cameras have a hot mirror (IR filter) on the sensor - so longer exposures are needed.

1> 13 seconds
2> 30 seconds
3> 13 seconds
4> 5 seconds
5> 5 seconds
6> 5 seconds
7> 4 seconds

I love them. Whats the IR filter? Was it an SLR?

I know a little but not alot about photography lol.

Shot on a Nikon D50, dSLR. I use a hoya r72 IR filter. It filters out light below a wavelength of 720nm. The cameras sensor is senstive to IR though, so records what you can see above. With the filter in place, if you look through the lens you won't see anything.

Some ridic pictures, I am going to have to use one as a wallpaper

cheers :)

The different manufacturers vary on how much exposure they require. From my experience they go, from shortest to longest - Nikon, Canon, Olympus - I dont know about any of the others as I havent had any experience of them.

I have played with IR a bit myself, but got fed up with the post processing involved. When I upgrade my camera I may change my mind and get the E1 converted to IR only.

hey arc,

what lens have you used for them pics? i fancy a IR filter now for my d40 that and a polarising one so i can start experimenting.

the exposure times all depend on how much the hot mirror filters out. the D50 lets a lot more light through than current generation nikons. i've no idea about the others.

regarding post processing, i use a custom white balance they i set on the camera using grass as white, converted the RAWs to TIFF using Bibble (to retain the white balance data) and then played with the levels in Lightroom. I would say processing time was about a minute and a half per image :)

edit:

raptor - they are shot using the kit lens on the D50, which i believe is the same as the d40/x kit lens. I'm not sure on other brands of filters, i've always used hoya. I did have a hoya circular polariser which was very handy in summer, dialing out reflections, or just making the sky look really blue. but i lost it :( i need to buy a new one!

Last edited:
Back