500 Our 500SS

Currently reading:
500 Our 500SS

Yeah thanks everyone. They did a top job

RobinPJ - You have a PM

The Twins - If only!

James44422 - It works really well with the black covers. I think the roof design is enough of a statement so no need for the odd mirror cover business.

Also, the missus has been converted with the black covers so its all good!

Chapter 4. The right temperature

The next mod as the title suggests was a small tweak to the colour temps of the exterior lights. I can't stand yellow lights (reminds me of the stooopid streetlight outside my room at Uni back in the day!); it's just disappointing and dare I say it a bit embarrassing nowadays!!

Anyhow, I did a bit of investigating and short of taking a flyer with one of the no name eBay bulbs the choice really came down to MTec bulbs (LED's would've been nice, but I don't think there's a plug n play option on the market at the moment). So after doing a bit more digging it was either Super Blue (better output, slightly less white) or Cosmos Blue (worse output, a touch whiter). It seemed from the reviews online the output difference was noticeable whereas the colour difference not so much, so I got the Super Blues. Might as well go whole hog so Licence Plate, Indicator & DRL bulbs would also be changed (Indicators to the Chrome/Amber variety).

58001553.jpg

So after pleading with my local detailer (Drayke Fields in Birmingham...
shameless plug lol) to 'borrow' their lift, tools and facilities in general (taking the wheels off and a bumper drop would be necessary), I was allowed in on a quiet Sun to change the bulbs out. Unfortunately, things didn't go quite to plan as the fogs (listed in the handbook as H1 bulbs) are not!!! The contact was soldered on and the bulb itself didnt look like an H1. It kind of looks like the entire fog light assembly needs to be changed out as 1 piece, very weird...so in the end I scrapped the fogs.

Everything else was pretty simple including the bumper drop.

91636379.jpg

23583308.jpg

By the way, I changed the Dipped bulbs in the before pics above so you can really see the difference.

All done and after a wash:

98901156.jpg

And a night time piccy for ya...

66137006.jpg

I've never and prob will never use the fogs so whilst it would've been nice to change them out it's far from necessary. Also, as far as I can work out the output hasn't really been affected to my eyes anyway.
All in all, Im very happy.

Thanks all.

Back