OT - Anyone getting the iphone 4 tomorrow?

Currently reading:
OT - Anyone getting the iphone 4 tomorrow?

T

Tommy K

Well it seems the networks have started to fight it out. Tesco being the cheapest so far it seems!!!

T-mobile, Virgin and Three haven't committed yet... but they will prob just match the others.

Big question is..... Is anyone getting one???

Tempted as my 2nd hand iphone 3g 8gb is getting out of date - but has tonnes of hacks and freebies :)

Oh and I have no money... as it seems you can buy a car for the price of a telephone!!!

Let us know who the money bags are :);)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

just checked tesco, and i would go with them but their handset prices are too high.

i know its false economy but i dont have the lump sum to pay out for it at those prices.

i'm sticking with O2 despite the **** data allowance.

alarm is set for 4:15am, i'm going to try get in the staff entrances at the Mall as i used to work there, if not, i will be queuing with the masses.

saw some people today buying the 16GB on ebay for £850!!!!!!!!

Ridiculous! Espicially since it does half the stuff more advanced phones do nowadays, video calling.... only to other iphones over wifi.... video calling was sooo 2003, over 3G!

did anyone else hear about the signal problems, if you are left handed and hold the phone to your ear the signal drops out!
see http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/some-iphone-4-models-see-signals-drop-to-0-when-held-left-handed/

oh well, its a good piece of kit but at the end of the day it has outdated hardware and poopy software, is it really worth all that money? I don't think so but each to their own.

Darren

Picked mine up yesterday around 7:30pm. Upgraded from my 3g which I have had for over 12 months.

Very swish piece of kit so far. Was late on when o2 finally swapped the sims over to the micro sim as they were that busy.

So far so good

(awaits Robertos flame)

Also got mine yesterday around lunch time as GF works at o2 and made sure I had one.

Played with it all day and last night and I do like it but have to say I had (still got) the HTC desire and I actually prefer it so this maybe going on fleebay if I can get £700-£800 for it like they seem to be going for.

Why do you prefer the desire? just interested.

i walked out of the apple store with mine at about 8:25am, has been queuing since 4:30am!

the most impressive thing by far is the new screen, its unbelievable how crystal clear it is, you can read everything on the bbc website without zooming in.

i've not tried FaceTime yet but it seems to only be active when you make a call, which makes me think you can do it over 3g normally, unfortuantely i cant test it as non of the other new phones have the ability.

i'm not sure about the critisism though, the signal problem only seems to be some people, specifically those with sweaty hands, mine wasnt effected until i gave it to someone else to try, it drops the signal a bit when they hold it but not for me.

video calling was done very poorly in the past and i admire apple for trying to bring it into the modern age and make it a worth while thing.

the camera is pretty good but its not something i was bothered about in the first place.

i'm happy with my purchase, hope others are as happy.

Ry

Dont get me wrong I do like the new iphone 4

Im not having a problem with signal dropping off, well not so far, and I have to so I am getting more impressed with it the more I use it. Video calling is not for me anyway but thats IMO. I agree the screen is amazing beat the desire on that

I just like the desire as it feels you can personalise it lot more, the camera is a little better. I do find my desire quicker than the iphone still even with aps on it (dont have many on new iphone currently)

The look of iphone 4 is better than desire but for me its just I like the way the desire works compared to the iphone but thats just me

hmm sounds like someone had no intention of wanting the iphone 4,what an easy way to make £800! your gf got u the phone 2 1 side yet others qued hours..tutt tutt!

i think it looks so much better than the 'old' one, ill just upgrade my ipod touch and it will be the dogs :)

as for the guys gf getting him the phone, then why not? got to be some perks to the job....

stephend

PIC_0085-1-2.jpg

well im still tempted, but until blackra1n is sorted for the ios 4 I wont be getting one.... I like my free apps :)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

Wimmy, I'm not saying owt! ;)

Anyone who follows me on Twitter or Facebook will have seen the amusing stuff I have posted on the recent bout of sheep behaviour by iPhone devotees ;)

Let's get it out in the open before there's any confusion, I'm a Nokia fanboy :) However, this last year has been fecking awful as the Nokia N97 I rushed out and bought last year is a steaming pile of sh!te! Poorly designed internally, a clunky OS and internal parts failure mean it's almost put me off Nokia's for life. And that takes a LOT of doing.

Even the prospect of the upcoming N8 doesn't inspire me. The OS used on the N97 (Symbian ^1) and the version on the N8 (Symbian ^3) is still stuck in the realms of non touch devices. iOS4 looks and works a lot better.

However, iOS4 is still highly restrictive in terms of what you can and can't do with the device overall. At least Symbian is open and allows you to pretty much do whatever you like on it. There are no silly rules or hoops to jump through. No company telling you that you can only install apps they have approved and sold through their store.

And iOS4 still doesn't have PROPER multitasking. It's better than having none, like previous iterations of the iPhone, but it's still not true multitasking. I've seen a Symbian device run 67 applications at once. An iPhone4 would baulk at about 4 or 5.

And don't get me started on the left handed loss of signal issue, or the issue that sees discolouration of the front screen. But hey, no device is perfect. But it would seem that Apple have got a bit complacent and are copying too many of Nokia's mistakes.

IMHO, the best smart phone out there right now is the HTC Desire. It's fast, slick and the Android OS is brilliant.

But, and I am not insulting iPhone users per se, there are differnet smart phones for different people and different uses. The iPhone has predominantly won an audience of people who were scared by smart phones and were put off by the rather complex nature of them. Apple simplified and watered down the concept and then used their incredible marketing clout to sell it. At that, Apple are masters indeed.

Buy a smart phone that does what you want, not just because it looks cool ;)

Rob
BOO Member since 2002

FIAT History: Tipo DS, Punto TDSX, Punto Sporting, Cinquecento Sporting, Seicento Sporting, Bravo HGT, Marea Weekend ELX
Now residing in the land of Ford.

Well put Rob.... & it's your 2 posts min a day I have noticed more ;)

I'm a Nokia nut... ever since my 5110 I've always saved up and paid more just to own a nokia.

I dicided to try a smart phone, a lovely touch screen brick by Moterola on the 3 network. I vowed NEVER to own a touch screen smart phone again.

Went back to Nokia and got the N70..... oh dear. After 12 replacements Orange let me have change the handset.

I have since only ever had basic Nokia phones, 6230, 6500side & 6700 Classic. They don't do much, but shouldn't go wrong!

HOWEVER.... I bought a Apple 3G iphone from my old boss and for a lad who';s had the worst experience with Smart phone and touch screen.... this is amazing!

I wanted to hate the iphone, wanted to tell everyone who buys it, you've got far too much money to waste on a phone.... yet I bought Kate a 3Gs when they came to Orange network & then myself one..... and they are brilliant.

Ok, kate just uses it as a phone and internet device.... me, well it's unlocked and open to do just what I want... and there are hundreds of very clever people who will jump through hoops to make the iphone very very app rich for free :)

I will always be a Nokia nut, but only for a backup phone - Apple has won me over to get my full attention!

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg