Technical Orange Engine Warning Light

Currently reading:
Technical Orange Engine Warning Light

ChrisSim

I have a problem with Orange Engine warning light not going out after engine start. With notice stating "Antipolution faulty"
2008 Fiat Scudo 1997cc Diesel JTD 88kw/120hp
This has occured several times in the last few months.
Van drives normally except in 1st gear at 3000rmp it seems to loose power.
When the light stayed on the first time I drove over 100km on motorway conditions and nothing happened . Next morning on starting the light went out.
Several days later same thing except I drove nearly 700km and the light went out only after engine restart .
Yesterday , same thing . Light was out on a 120km drive and after 3 short trips , the light stayed on again. After another 120km motorway drive it is out.
I'm assuming its the catalytic converter / Particulate filter.
Any ideas out there?

I have a problem with Orange Engine warning light not going out after engine start. With notice stating "Antipolution faulty"
2008 Fiat Scudo 1997cc Diesel JTD 88kw/120hp
This has occured several times in the last few months.
Van drives normally except in 1st gear at 3000rmp it seems to loose power.
When the light stayed on the first time I drove over 100km on motorway conditions and nothing happened . Next morning on starting the light went out.
Several days later same thing except I drove nearly 700km and the light went out only after engine restart .
Yesterday , same thing . Light was out on a 120km drive and after 3 short trips , the light stayed on again. After another 120km motorway drive it is out.
I'm assuming its the catalytic converter / Particulate filter.
Any ideas out there?
I would take the vehicle to someone who has access to a diagnostic tool preferably when the light is on it may just be a sensor problem…. Good luck

Thank you for your quick response Veresecrazy, I have taken it to a local garage and had no joy other than the code for the pump not working, but the vehicle was blowing smoke before this warning light came on , I’ll try again and get back to you thanks 👍
It might be that the 'counter' of either the

'Oil Degradation'.. sooty oil

Or

DPF soot build.up .. sooty exhaust

is not happy

Plugging in software is the modern method..

That should also find the ErrorCode associated with these warnings :)

"Take to someone with the diagnostic tools" is a John Cleese response . I already thought of that, It's just that the nearest one is over 120km away and they can't check it for another 4 weeks . I suspect it's the catalytic converter and there isn't one available in the country and Fiat will charge $1600.00 for the part . I may as well import it myself for half that price as long as I know that is the problem.

"Take to someone with the diagnostic tools" is a John Cleese response . I already thought of that, It's just that the nearest one is over 120km away and they can't check it for another 4 weeks . I suspect it's the catalytic converter and there isn't one available in the country and Fiat will charge $1600.00 for the part . I may as well import it myself for half that price as long as I know that is the problem.
Then maybe buy a diagnostic kit would be the sensible thing to do , mr Bean

I have found some thoughtful replies on this Forum in the past .
This Forum is not your usual social media where offence and abuse is thrown around so don't do it Johnobhoy67.
I tried not to offend your response, so don't assume people out there are stupid, but you take the cake.

I have found some thoughtful replies on this Forum in the past .
This Forum is not your usual social media where offence and abuse is thrown around so don't do it Johnobhoy67.
I tried not to offend your response, so don't assume people out there are stupid, but you take the cake.
Are you for real, read your initial response to me, ‘John Cleese’ don’t dish it out if you can’t take it pal end of.

Firstly, don't buy any parts until sure they are needed. Catalytic converters rarely fail, unless they've been contaminated by another fault, so fix that first, or suffered impact damage, which can break the matrix inside. I would be surprised if a 2008 diesel had a catalytic converter.

A DPF, if fitted, is not the same as a catalytic converter. These do not like local journeys, as they cannot regenerate enough. A faster trip will help, but recovery will depend on the amount of soot inside. A forced regeneration might clean it well. This can be done with MultiECUscan. Sometimes this can be triggered with particular sequence of pedal position and starting, but I don't know about your particular model, it might be described in the manual.

In the UK there are people who can clean DPFs using chemicals (Terraclean?), I guess there's similar near you. Worth thinking about before replacing anything. If the DPF is well blocked due its use by a previous owner, cleaning may be the fix. If it is blocking due to your usage, you may need to change your use or driving style to alleviate the issue.

There will also be an EGR valve. This allows some exhaust to return to the engine, under particular conditions. Being in the exhaust flow, they get carboned up, and often stick. This might be the issue. Usually easier to clean, even if that means removal and on the bench. A diagnostic check will hopefully pinpoint the reason for the warning light. 2008 might also be a bit early for a DPF, leaving only the EGR as a potential problem.

Don't know if it applies with your vehicle, but on the Citroen's using same engine they used DPFs and Eolys? fluid to clean them in normal use. Basically there is a plastic bag reservoir of the Eolys fluid which is meant to last 100k miles life of vehicle? this is injected into the system to clean the DPF as it is going along. The two main problems are it doesn't like town use/short journeys as it doesn't get hot enough to clean it's self, or people who only put in a few litres of fuel at a time, what they should do ideally is run their vehicle low then fill to the brim is best. the reason is the computer tells how many time the fuel cap is opened and meters Eolys fluid accordingly, so what happens is the fluid runs out and then the DPF doesn't get cleaned and fails. How do I know this? I bought a Citroen ex Taxi cheap with multiple error codes, in my case the DPF was readily accessible, I took it off and tested the flow with water, then put it in a bucket with strong bleach and Bookers Oven Cleaner over a couple of days then used an industrial steam cleaner and brought out tonnes of brown muck, retested it and flow was greatly improved (there will be lots of people who say you shouldn't do this but it worked and the car only cost £300) After that I Used a Snap On diagnostic tool to tell it the DPF had been replaced and reset the codes, fortunately for me there was still plenty of Eolys fluid in the reservoir as the computer measures that. I am sorry but you will still need to get to a good diagnostic tool. If yours has a DPF but not with pipes coming out of it measuring it's pressure and telling the computer, you may still benefit from cleaning out the old one to try before spending the money. If it measures the back pressure from the degree of DPF blockage then what ever happens it will need diagnostic tool. By the way Eolys fluid is toxic I have been told!!! Another thing , you didn't mention the colour of smoke, when my Citroen was blocked I was getting light coloured smoke almost white and the fumes made your eyes water. Since I did this work it runs clean and as they say "like a horse with it's ears back" + no warning lights;)

OP is in Australia :)
and appears to be doing what diesel are best at.. DISTANCE (y)

Fiat started European DPF roll.out in 2008

But the mix of technologies in the Sevel built kit is a mystery to me

Some have Peugeot motors..some FIAT

Fully agree.. get Codes
Then .. clear Codes

Some may not clear.. and a reading of oil quality and DPF flow would seem a logical next step

The engine code would probably help narrow your options

Old PSA units were XUD series

Fiat just tend to use numbers

OP is in Australia :)
and appears to be doing what diesel are best at.. DISTANCE (y)

Fiat started European DPF roll.out in 2008

But the mix of technologies in the Sevel built kit is a mystery to me

Some have Peugeot motors..some FIAT

Fully agree.. get Codes
Then .. clear Codes

Some may not clear.. and a reading of oil quality and DPF flow would seem a logical next step

The engine code would probably help narrow your options

Old PSA units were XUD series

Fiat just tend to use numbers
Engine numbers would help, I believe the XUD engines were sohc, according to Autodata the 2008 Scudo 1997cc JTD 120hp was the first year of that range and was dohc with engine numbers RHG(DW10UTED4) Citroen Dispatch 2007-12 was 1997cc dohc 120hp with engine numbers RHK(DW10UTED4) whilst Peugeot in their Expert range from 2007-12 was 1997cc dohc 120hp and called theirs (DW10UTED4) RHK and RHR.
Not standing beside the vehicle makes life difficult, but given the PSA bloodline and it being an early model first I would check if it has a DPF and if . so does it have pipes coming out to measure for blockages etc to tell the ECU via pressure sensors. Just found this which confirms what I thought. ."They're peculiar to PSA vehicles (or vehicles that use PSA-derived engines) "The Scudo is actually a Peugeot Expert. Unlike AdBlue, Eolys isn't ..etc." If this is the case then somewhere under the vehicle (Peugeots used to fit them just forward of the n/s/r wheel for right hand drive vehicles) a sort of plastic container with a pump, these need bleeding with a diagnostic tool + my previous comments safety wise etc.

Thanks for these detailed and quite extensive replies to both "bugsymike" and "portland_bill". I have been advised by my local mechanic that my van has an RHK engine and does have a DPF but no adBlu or Eolys. It has also had placed by a previous owner a steel plate covering the EGR and though I have driven it for nearly 30K km it only now shows this engine light. I have also been quoted over $600 to clean the DPF . A diagnostic assessment alone will be about $200 which I will need to have not only to avoid any potential damage but as I am doing an EU trip later this year I may consider buying a DPF there and bringing it back in my luggage. This may not be relevant to the mechanical information here but The cost is about $600 online and I can sell the old one for scrap . The DPF looks like this as per image. Vehicle costs are high in the Antipodes. Much appreciate the positive and constructive information given. DPF.jpg

Thanks for these detailed and quite extensive replies to both "bugsymike" and "portland_bill". I have been advised by my local mechanic that my van has an RHK engine and does have a DPF but no adBlu or Eolys. It has also had placed by a previous owner a steel plate covering the EGR and though I have driven it for nearly 30K km it only now shows this engine light. I have also been quoted over $600 to clean the DPF . A diagnostic assessment alone will be about $200 which I will need to have not only to avoid any potential damage but as I am doing an EU trip later this year I may consider buying a DPF there and bringing it back in my luggage. This may not be relevant to the mechanical information here but The cost is about $600 online and I can sell the old one for scrap . The DPF looks like this as per image. Vehicle costs are high in the Antipodes. Much appreciate the positive and constructive information given.View attachment 408916
Hi Chris, does your DPF have the two small bore pipes tapped into it that the ECU uses to measure if the DPF is blocked? If not and you are possibly considering buying a new one in the future, then you might want to try the cleaning method I suggested as not a lot to lose. Re the blanking plate for the EGR, a 2005 1.9 Doblo Turbo I had worked fine with no errors after doing that, but daughter's 1.3 Multijet Grande Punto 2006 would throw up an error code occasionally regarding that which could easily be deleted with a cheap diagnostic tool and never affected the performance. Apparently the advice from the supplier of the plate was if error code appeared a hole could be drilled in the blanking plate to help. Regards Mike

To all who replied with useful information.
I have basically given up on this ,
This engine light comes on sometimes and then goes out for extended periods.
Usually comes on after a couple of short drives . The occasional very long drive usually "fixes" the problem
The van drives normally so I'm not particularly concerned

Back