Oops, i broke my alfa.

Currently reading:
Oops, i broke my alfa.

Since i had the alfa it had a problem with the revs fluctuating at the end of the journey and in the damp while the engine was hot. It has been getting worse over the course of today so i hat to fix it. Just spent hours with my head under the bonnet cleaning the throttle body and with the battery disconnected to reset the ECU. When i finished i started the engine but all it would do is turn over. The fuel pump was silent and the CODE light was on.

I stripped the BBOB (the Relat box, Black Box Of ********, because it is in the worst possible place) and cleaned loads of green gunk from all 4 of the relays and rebuilt it. Turned the key (red master key this time), the fuel pump was working! the code light went out... But still nothing.

I pressed the fuel cutoff under the seat, there was what felt like a 2mm wide pin under the rubber that definately went in. Turned the key, and it STARTED!!! well, on one cylinder and stalled out again.

After a few more trys i started it on one cylinder again so i gunned the throttle and the other 3 eventually kicked into life (i think i flooded the engine before and it was just cleaning out). I eventually got a stable tickover so i put my tools away. As i put the cover back on the BBOB i deliberatly tapped the relays and the engine felt like the revs suddenly dropped slightly, each time i tapped it.

I shut the bonnet and returned the drivers seat. by this time the temp needle was starting it's climb and was on 70. i tapped the throttle a few times and the revs kept dropping to the min of the rev gauge. It was refusing to idle unless i gently drop the revs with the throttle to 1k.

I have run out of light so there is nothing more i can do.

This is going to be pain to drive to work with and i don't know if the ECU is truly reset.

Looks like i need a new Idle controll valve but i hope it doesn't brake down before then.

Lol, yep that's true.

I got to work with no trouble this morning. I adjusted the throttle cable as there was loads of "dead zone" before the butterfly started moving so it was a little more responsive, but i think it was uneccessary so i will reverse it on saturday.

terrified this morning as it was chucking it down, flooding everywhere and worrying that the engine might cut out on the way.

Back