Technical oooops!...... seicento handbrake!

Currently reading:
Technical oooops!...... seicento handbrake!

hey guys,

parked up on maccies in lunch yesterday on not much more than a 5 degree slope, put on the handbrake, turned off the engine and started removing the front off my headunit when i was suddenly surprised by my gf next to me screaming that we were still moving! :bang: slammed my foot on the brake before hitting a car that was driving past :worship: so now having to leave it in gear atm.

so need to adjust the handbrake (n) but dont have a clue what im doing and i dont want to go playing round and mess something up so can anyone give any advice or a step by step guide on adjusting it?

cheers

luke

p.s. this might be a good guide to place in a stickie for new people, just a suggestion if anyone agrees.

Yer i know ive already read them but it doesnt say what and where you have to adjust. knowing my luck it will probably be blindingly obvious but i just thought i would ask before i started goin messing around with it and making it worse! :(

Jack the car up safely, and go underneath, middle of the car, there is the handbrake, the adjuster is there, get yourself a haynes manual as well might help.

cheers badger, when doing my boot install (pics to come when carpeted) i noticed a silver plate under the rear seats, can you access the cable from this or is it a pain in the rear end?

tbh though, the sticky covers in enough detail how the handbrake works - so if you read that, and then look at it you can figure it out.

best advice though is to get a haynes manual, it does cover it well. Make sure when you jack the car up its on axel stands. The handbrake adjustor is right in the middle of the car - not a good place to be if a jack slips!

The cable is one issue, the rear arms that actuate the handbrake on the rear hub is often the culprit. If you are jacking a car up, you MUST support it on axle stands on solid ground. I also use chocks as well for the wheels that remain on the floor.

Always, always, ALWAYS use axle stands. Bricks etc do NOT work!! People have been killed by either pulling the car off said bricks or the bricks not supporting the weight and collapsing.

cheers guys for advice but the problems sorted now! after posting this thread went to the local motorworld to get some carpet for my boot install and my mate who works there was owed a favour by the guy in ATS so took it down there and got it adjusted for me! saves the hastle when they can do it in five mins imo.:worship:

Hey!

i think my handbrake is broken on my seicento. i was on a hill and went to put it on, but kept rolling backwards! :eek:

also the button tht u av to press in to release it, is like pressed all the way in! is anyone elses handbrake like dat?

Thanx
Kirstie

Hey!

i think my handbrake is broken on my seicento. i was on a hill and went to put it on, but kept rolling backwards! :eek:

also the button tht u av to press in to release it, is like pressed all the way in! is anyone elses handbrake like dat?

Thanx
Kirstie

what they are saying is words like 'tht u av' and 'dat' is txt speak and not everyone is from the uk and under 25 years old so may not understand what you are saying, text speak comes second to proper spelt english words on here :)

But in answer to your question no the button shouldnt be all the way in and sounds like your handbrake cable is stretched and either needs adjusting or replacement but is a cheap fix

what they are saying is words like 'tht u av' and 'dat' is txt speak and not everyone is from the uk and under 25 years old so may not understand what you are saying, text speak comes second to proper spelt english words on here :)

Ah, so this is a derivation of English for the hard of thinking. I though 'dat' was Digital Audio Tape, and had no idea where the handbrake came in.

Cheers

D

Back