General old problems,new solutions?

Currently reading:
General old problems,new solutions?

foggy89

Hi folks,

Having been on the look out for a cinq for a couple of weeks now,and reading several reviews and write ups/this forum.It seems that there are a couple of recurring problems people have with the car,for example im reading of people going through a radiator a year and 6 clutch cables a year!

Alot of the reviews im reading were written between 5 and 10 years ago so im slightly worried these problems will be even worse now due to the extra time the cars have been on the road.However im hopefull that some solutions have been found(uprated rads and clutch cables etc) and that if i can put some pre-emptive work into a car ill be likely to get some relatively stress free and fun motoring out of it.

For example if i were to buy a low mileage(sub 50-60k) with good service history and the cambelt changes at the correct time etc,then fit a new radiator myself(not a good home mechanic but happy to follow a haynes manual on most average jobs)and replace the clutch cable with an uprated part,am i likely to have any large problems?

Normally i wouldnt worry quite so much due to the car being so cheap,but my last car(a clio 172) cost me £2k in repairs and i sold it within 3 months of buying it.

Cheers folks and merry christmas!

ive never had a new radiator in the 5 years ive had mine.... or a clutch cable..

there not all bad.

thermostats break not rads tbh and clutch cables break when the clutch wears, so when the pedal gets hard sort it. most poeople just keep going till it breaks.

coolant is a big thing on the cento. if your rad looks ok on the car leave it but give it a flush through and make ure it all works as should... fan is a weakness.

With a cheaper car, owners will scrimp on maintenance and thats the problem.

To my mind mileage is unimportant. Remember that the youngest Cinq is now over 12 years old so do 60000 miles is only 5K a year, not a lot.

100K is not ridiculous if backed up with a history file.

Failing clutch cables are usually a sign that the clutch itself is at the end of its life. It is a wearing part so budget to fit one. Some owners stick their heads in the sand and blame a 'poor design' rather than fit a clutch.

Cheers

D

Cheers folks,i like to keep my cars pristine so tend to sort niggles as they happen.Ill keep looking for one and be sure to take the buying guide with me when i go to test.At the moment im struggling to find any for sale,must only be 20 or so for sale in the whole country.

Cheers folks,i like to keep my cars pristine so tend to sort niggles as they happen.Ill keep looking for one and be sure to take the buying guide with me when i go to test.At the moment im struggling to find any for sale,must only be 20 or so for sale in the whole country.

A lot were 'done in' during the scrappage scheme.

Cheers

D

I got my 1998 Cinq a few years back with around 26k on the clock thinking it would be a good idea, I ended up having to replace the water pump, rad, top cover gasket, cambelt tensioner etc as a few things had started to perish or seize up. So if anything you're better off getting one that is in a good condition but has been used, instead of one with what would be relatively low miles for a car that's a minimum of 12 years old (mine will be 13 at the end of February).

From experience of both, if you can get a 1998 one with the newer style handbrake I'd go for it, unless an older one is in a much better condition or is a lot cheaper.

As others said, if you change the clutch cable and it pings again fairly quickly you need a new clutch. You can usually still drive back home (or work, parents, a friend, wherever is closest) by starting it in gear, I've done it twice.

Second the thought about the rear engine mount, mine is maybe a couple of years old and it feels like it may be going again already, that really depends if the driver is a yobbo though *cough*

There are seven (three Sportings) on AutoTrader right now.

Last edited:
Hmm is the newer design handbrake found in the late cinq or sei actually better than the old type with the wheel ?

Thanks
Ming

They are to me (based on my 1998 and driving two N reg, don't know if they are/were 1994 or 1995). Easier to pull on and it holds much better, even when the old ones had a new cable fitted or the old one adjusted.

Cheers chaps,ill be sure to go off age/condition when looking.Ive had a look over the 3 on autotrader and emailed the seller of the red one.Its very hard to tell what condition its in due to the snow on it,the boot panel looks either creased or very faded aswell but again it may just be frosted over.The yellow one for £495 is a 1997 model and might be worth a look.The £895 yellow one in a dealership seems over priced and is a 1995 model.

I check pistonheads,autotrader and ebay a few times a day but as yet to no avail.

Thanks for the help chaps.

Hm, I never had one side sticking because of the cable, only ever because the levers seized up (the two strips of metal, one pushes the shoes apart, one has the end of the cable attached).

The Younger Mrs S's Cinquecento "Titch" has managed on its original radiatore to this day. He was born in 1996 (Leo) and has about 78,000 miles now. Keep your coolant up to the proper concentration and the beast should last for a very long time...

Clutch cable snapping = worn clutch. Titch has managed to get through the OE Fiat cable and is now on his second (again, Fiat OE).

Engine mounts and water pumps... ? All still from the factory.

The alternator did go walkabout around 72,000 (it was the regulator in fact what died) but a new recylced Lucas alternator plus regulator from the Big H was cheaper than just a new regulator from Fiat.

Fuel tank.. supposed to rust. Titch has not a hint of rusty tank syndrome.

Oil leaks! The cam-cover gasket is the usual old FIRE engine (lasts 6000 miles then starts leaking) job. Almost worth changing these with an oil change! :D

The cam-shaft O-ring has been pissing oil out for ages. Waiting for the next cam-belt service to solve it. Again, it's the usual old FIRE engine weakness.. shared with 6,000,000 Puntos, Cinq's and Sei's.. :)

My advice.. is get the best body you can, since Titch is showing hints of wanting to rust around the rear (sills and wheel arches). The mechanical bits are cheap and easy by comparison.

Ralf S.

There is a guide in the Punto section about the top cover gasket, may be worth a look:

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-gui...ket-without-having-leak-again-week-later.html

My coolant was fine but the rad had just gone completely rotten. Tapped it against the floor once I had taken it off and loads kept falling off.

Surprised your engine mounts are still ok, no clunking when starting, grinding during acceleration, etc?

Back