General Oil tube seals

Currently reading:
General Oil tube seals

El cargador

Hi All, I am rebuilding a 600cc engine and the oil tube seals that came with the gasket set are the thick ones, when tightening down the head they seem very tight to the point I am worried about cracking the head above them. I have torqued the head down but am not sure if he new ones will prevent the head sealing . If I can get new silicone O rings at the local hardware store would that be ok?

Which push-rod tubes are you using? I tend to use the 'external-spring' variety. Yes, they are quite expensive, but they have the big advantage that they can be fitted (just) AFTER you have bolted down the cylinder head. I use the thick silicon (red) seals. If you are using the tubes with the small concertina sections in them, you can use the thick seals quite safely as the tubes will compress slightly. If you are using the 'non-concertina' push-rod tubes I would suggest that you use the thinner seals (again, the silicon variety if you can get them).I would NOT recommend that you use 'hardware shop' seals---the Fiat seals are shaped to fit snugly onto the tubes and into the head and the crankcase.

Which push-rod tubes are you using? I tend to use the 'external-spring' variety. Yes, they are quite expensive, but they have the big advantage that they can be fitted (just) AFTER you have bolted down the cylinder head. I use the thick silicon (red) seals. If you are using the tubes with the small concertina sections in them, you can use the thick seals quite safely as the tubes will compress slightly. If you are using the 'non-concertina' push-rod tubes I would suggest that you use the thinner seals (again, the silicon variety if you can get them).I would NOT recommend that you use 'hardware shop' seals---the Fiat seals are shaped to fit snugly onto the tubes and into the head and the crankcase.
I'm wondering what your thinking is there Tom? AFIK the thin ones are for concertina and thick for solid tubes.
I'm pretty sure there's no chance of standard seal of either type cracking the head.

Hi, the engine is a 600cc from a 126 I presume, the gasket set they sent me included new oil tube seals but they were the thick ones(no other choice on the website for this engine) as I said I was afraid of damaging the head as it was very tight to torque up, but I remembered I had a set of seals for my car and they were the thin type for the concertina tube. Problem solved

Back