Technical Oil Pressure

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Pressure

meikle

Hi. The engine in my 1.3 multijet is back in and I've had it running but not on the road yet thankfully.

I was letting it run to check the radiator fan would kick in and left it for a few minutes. I came back to a huge pool of oil. The oil way spraying out of the oil filter cap seal.

Should the oil be under pressure in the filter?

Could it just be a dodgy filter seal or is excessive pressure blowing it past the seal?

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Yikes,
Maybe drop the oil, put new oil in along with filter,
Check the oil filler cap for signs of wear and tear,

Hi. The engine in my 1.3 multijet is back in and I've had it running but not on the road yet thankfully.

I was letting it run to check the radiator fan would kick in and left it for a few minutes. I came back to a huge pool of oil. The oil way spraying out of the oil filter cap seal.

Should the oil be under pressure in the filter?

Could it just be a dodgy filter seal or is excessive pressure blowing it past the seal?

Any thoughts.

Thanks

The oil must be pumped past the filter.

Did you tighten the cap to the 'specified torque'?

I can't remember the torque for it, maybe around 9nm to 15nm

I think eper might have it

Thanks for all the input.
I've spoken to a couple of engineers today and they both agree that 99% sure it is a damaged oil filter cap.
A crack might not be visible to the naked eye but under pressure it will open up.
Apparently the oil is at 50 psi and it will spray out dramatically.
Haven't got another one to try yet but I'll keep you posted.

I had another look at the rubber O ring. It has lost all its elasticity.

When I was doing the engine refurb, I fitted a new filter and seal.

Anyone come upon this before?

I would have added a photo but can't see how to do that. Can anyone advise me on how to do that?

Thanks

Back