Technical Oh...rust

Currently reading:
Technical Oh...rust

I just found this on my 2010 EVO, so whats the prognosis?

IMG_20240521_115439.jpg

IMG_20240521_115400.jpg

IMG_20240521_115512.jpg

"Just" found? :unsure:
If you care about the car, you should look underneath every year (or twice a year), minimum.
And do something with the rust, in early stages. To avoid "surprises" like that.

Now it's too late. Front frame/beam/axle/whatever (forgot proper name) must be replaced (this year).
"Opel Corsa D" can be a donor here (if there is a problem with "Grande/Evo" parts availability).

PS
What about MOT (last one)? Passed without comments/warning?

The prognosis is you need a new front subframe. Nothing can be done to repair that safely. Looks like the rust has eaten into the metal and it’s fractured due to the rust being more brittle, so yes this could have looked ok a week or two ago and now it’s scrap. Front subframe is not too horrific to do, just need space and a lot of time

Righto I need a new front subframe. The last MOT does mention rust on the front subframe, I think I bought the car like this at auction about 9 months ago. I obviously didn't look closely enough at the subframe when I got it home. I then got consumed with my GP which nominally was in worse shape. So I've probably been driving this quite a while without issue, not sure how much longer I should leave this?

I'm probably going to buy another GP now, and then I can lay this one up for a week or two while I fix the subframe.

I think I tracked the subframe using ePER. Parts number 50518356 for a 1.4Litre, 8 valve, 2010 Punto EVO.

Last edited:
In the good old days of Fiat, their engines leaked oil, so did their Fwd gearboxes. This covered the front subframe in oil, so stopping the rot. Stones and bolts, nuts and other road debris still pepper the sump on some models.

But again, as you have found out, non oil leaking Fiats do rust.

The wife's 2012 Punto, had two sumps put on it. Even though when she first purchased it In August 2012, I cleaned the front of the sump and bottom and put on a spray of underseal/bitumen.

That's a bit of a crack there, can't disguise it with anything, as it's a stressed point with a bolt in it.

In the good old days of Fiat, their engines leaked oil, so did their Fwd gearboxes. This covered the front subframe in oil, so stopping the rot. Stones and bolts, nuts and other road debris still pepper the sump on some models.

But again, as you have found out, non oil leaking Fiats do rust.

The wife's 2012 Punto, had two sumps put on it. Even though when she first purchased it In August 2012, I cleaned the front of the sump and bottom and put on a spray of underseal/bitumen.

That's a bit of a crack there, can't disguise it with anything, as it's a stressed point with a bolt in it.
The ironic situation here is that as well as the rusting sub frame on my EVO I could also see the old original rusty sump was leaking oil. Out of human interest I went under my GP to check the sub frame which was fine, but once again the sump is leaking! GAH!!!. So I have two leaking sumps, I've already changed the sump on a different car and it wasn't too difficult, so the sumps didn't warrant mention in the original post. Fiat and their rusty sumps...mmm :)

Back