General Off Road Advice

Currently reading:
General Off Road Advice

hudson

My brother and I bought a beaten up old 1 litre panda 4x4 as an off road project. Drawn to its tiny weight and over-hangs, we knew it'd easily compete with the more expensive beasts. There's also an awesome feeling of knowing you've done it all on a shoestring (I mean cheap, we haven't literally done it ON a shoestring, that's just not practical). There are one or two things we'd like to know, so if anyone can help that'd be great (baring in mind our budget).
1: On sunday the cam belt snapped while I was driving. Some people have said the engine will be rubber-ducked and some have said that the engine will be fine as it won't have turned. Please dispell any myths.
2: If the engine is knackered, what would you replace it with? We were thinking along the lines of a fiat diesel engine or at least something with a little more torque. Ideally, we want an engine that'll match the gearbox and sit under the bonnet with the least amount of fuss.
3: How would anyone suggest hiring the rear (leaf spring) suspension, and what coil-springs (from what vehicle) would be best suited to hire the front?

Any help much appreciated. All good.

Hi there. You will get deluged with excellent technical advice in a minute ;) But il start the ball rolling. As long as its a FIRE engined Panda the engine will not be goosed its a non interference engine. The easiest power upgrade is to fit a Punto 1242cc motor onto your standard Panda gearbox. :D

As far as raising the car is concerned, remove the wheel arch liners, front and rear and put on larger tyres - I had 185 70's - gives you about an extra inch ground clearance.
Apparently FIRE engines fit FIRE gearboxes regardless of model

I think the engine should be fine if you stick a new cam belt on and check the positioning of the wheels/timing etc... it should run as before.

I couldn't agree more with all of the previous comments ! (y)
However ...
...The 4x4 Panda is a beautifully balanced machine and is capable of a lot more than you might imagine. This is why it was chosen by lots of farmers to carry feed up to isolated flocks in the middle of nowhere.
The engine will be fine, don't worry. Do the larger tyre/inner wing bit. Leave the springs alone, but 'lighten' the car where possible.
When other 4x4's plough through trouble ... you will glide effortlessly over it !(y)

pandafan said:
I couldn't agree more with all of the previous comments ! (y)
However ...
...The 4x4 Panda is a beautifully balanced machine and is capable of a lot more than you might imagine. This is why it was chosen by lots of farmers to carry feed up to isolated flocks in the middle of nowhere.
The engine will be fine, don't worry. Do the larger tyre/inner wing bit. Leave the springs alone, but 'lighten' the car where possible.
When other 4x4's plough through trouble ... you will glide effortlessly over it !(y)

Adding to your comment: The Panda 4x4 drive train was developed by Steyr Daimler Puch in Graz (Austria) for the Austrian forestry workers and farmers for very hostile conditions (when it comes to motor vehicles). The size of the chassis was perfect for the application as it is much more compact than a Land Rover having the advantage in the forests when it gets tight.

One of the outstanding qualities of the Panda 4x4 is that it can go at least at 45 degree angle fully loaden before falling over sidways. Getting the vehicle higher up would limit these capabilities.

Oldschool said:
Adding to your comment: The Panda 4x4 drive train was developed by Steyr Daimler Puch in Graz (Austria) for the Austrian forestry workers and farmers for very hostile conditions (when it comes to motor vehicles). The size of the chassis was perfect for the application as it is much more compact than a Land Rover having the advantage in the forests when it gets tight.

One of the outstanding qualities of the Panda 4x4 is that it can go at least at 45 degree angle fully loaden before falling over sidways. Getting the vehicle higher up would limit these capabilities.

Good Man ! ... hence the much-maligned 'inclinometer'. treated as a quirky accessory ( by Panda 'Fans' ):( ...it is an incredibly useful instrument. (y)

If I was you I would stay with the 1.0 engine and box because it carriers so much torque as you would be shocked at what it can pull showing that amout of torque. You may what to look at improving the air flow and simular thinks to this.

Dave.

Last 4x4 Panda I drove I rolled in a field and it was written off, I wasn't even trying hard. I've discovered that this 45CL spins it's wheels on wet grass on tickover, although I'd like to try a set of M&S remoulds at low pressure in the Panda, just to see what it can do in the dirt. Anyway, I have the Disco for the mud.

I'd agree that you'll likely to be lucky with the engine if the cam belt broke at low revs under torque, but with a break at high revs, expect bent valves as a minimum, with things getting rapidly worse thereafter.

Fiat Nutter said:
If I was you I would stay with the 1.0 engine and box because it carriers so much torque as you would be shocked at what it can pull showing that amout of torque. You may what to look at improving the air flow and simular thinks to this.

Dave.

First off, fit a K&N direct replacement filter into your air box.. Then run the airflow intake pipe either through the scuttle to the roof or into the front of the heater intake box under the bonnet.... 'Tuning' ...'helps you breath more easily'(y)

Awesome response so far! Fair play!
Was a bit reluctant to ask the advice of people who love Panda's because its intended use is... um... less than gentle. Thought some may find it sacrilegious. It really was a heap when we bought it though.
As for torque, with a run up it'll tackle most hills with the little power pushing the already-moving car, but anything over 45 degrees and run ups are risky and the lack of torque becomes very apparent. That's partly because the engine had been sat for years when we got it and it's not great.
It's also partly our fault because of the bigger wheels we've got on it.
They're 31 x 7.5 x 16.

hudson said:
Awesome response so far! Fair play!
Was a bit reluctant to ask the advice of people who love Panda's because its intended use is... um... less than gentle. Thought some may find it sacrilegious. It really was a heap when we bought it though.
As for torque, with a run up it'll tackle most hills with the little power pushing the already-moving car, but anything over 45 degrees and run ups are risky and the lack of torque becomes very apparent. That's partly because the engine had been sat for years when we got it and it's not great.
It's also partly our fault because of the bigger wheels we've got on it.
They're 31 x 7.5 x 16.
I know that it sounds stupid, but you'd get better results from smaller tyres !
Look at your car 'Holistically' !(y)

Back