Technical odometer repair

Currently reading:
Technical odometer repair

hydie331

Hi, i had my odometer repaired yesterday due to the mileage resetting its self. The problem is when they did the repair they broke the top plastic shroud around the steering column and damaged the piece of plastic in between the shroud and the clocks (screw driver lever marks). The garage is replacing the parts, but i said i will fit them. Does anyone know if the shroud can be replaced without taking the steering wheel off?

Regards
Hydie331

Noooo get them to do it FOC until they do it right!

Too much agro, took them a week to get it fixed in the first place, gave me a car but had to insure myself, me thinks it might have had a crack in it anyway the wife tells me now, so tuff they can pay for new bits. Just need to know if it can be replaced without taking the steering wheel off?

Hydie331

yes it can be done without removing the steering wheel , the plastic piece i think you are talking about is the top piece which just clips in, I have the complete instructions. as below hope this helps. took me about 30 mins;)

To remove the instrument cluster, proceed as follows:
Remove the 3 Torx screws on the lower steering wheel shroud, unclip the lower shroud from the top shroud and remove (it is made much easier by pulling the steering column fully out, and leaving the adjustment lever loose to be moved around whilst removing the shroud).
Remove the 2 Torx screws keeping the upper shroud on; they are high up towards the column stalks. Remove the shroud.
Remove the 2 Pozidrive screws securing the bottom of the instrument panel on. Remove the cloth trim that covers the gap when the steering column is at its extremist positions.
Remove the 2 Torx screws securing the top of the instrument cluster in place, on the lip of the dashboard.
Adjust the steering column so it is at its most out and lowest position; lock it in place.
Carefully pull the black trim "blade" at the top of the instrument cluster and use it to lever out the cluster; when you can, undo the connector at the back by pushing in the tab and pushing the red lever to the other side.
Manoeuvre the instrument cluster away from the dash, paying particular attention to the bottom lugs and the wiring on the steering column.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, sounds like it's not a bad job to do, hopefully the parts will be here today.

Hydie331

I've just bought a Stilo and i've also noticed that the milage is resetting itself,is it an expensive repair ?

Back