General O ring coil pack (well discussed i know)

Currently reading:
General O ring coil pack (well discussed i know)

Neil75

Just a quickie, when you replace the O ring at the back of the coil pack do you need to drain the Oil? , probably sounds like a stupid question but this isnt mentioned in any guides , if its dripping im assuming that its holding oil back and therefore there is oil behind it. Also could this be responsible for rough idling as a fair bit of oil has dripped onto the sensors underneath? although connectors seem clean.

No need to drain the oil. There may be a little oil sitting behind it, so have a rag ready, but the cam housing does not hold much when engine not running.
Any oil in connectors may cause issues, so worth a good careful clean. Contact cleaner sprayed in, copiously, then soak it up with tissue/kitchen roll.

Ive just replace o ring , im assuming i put it in the right place , the shiny part at the bottom where the faces meet ? There wasnt one on there and 2 of the bolts were missing but its not leaking anymore and the o ring only cost me 98p so thats an easy fix

Last edited:
the o ring goes in the o ring gland ( a groove machined into the coil pack housing)

It's not a face seal.

I think you'll need to redo it as you will quite probably get a leak, and i would advise a new O ring too

the o ring goes in the o ring gland ( a groove machined into the coil pack housing)

It's not a face seal.

I think you'll need to redo it as you will quite probably get a leak, and i would advise a new O ring too

You know I did wonder , however leak has stopped and that original O ring looked in good condition , I think it was possibly due to the fact that a bolt was missing so it wasn't pulling the 2 faces close together , the reason I was confused is that Fiat sent me an o ring that was really thin , almost like an elastic band , nothing like the existing one
I even checked the ref when ordering it , It was an easy enough job , what I will do is see how it goes and if it starts leaking ill re do it.
Weird thing is that the lumpy idle has stopped so im assuming it was either air getting in/out or that oil drip was leaking on something it shouldn't have been (which is any part of the engine if you think about it!)

Thanks for the advice.

Ok so now its leaking , ill do it again in morning , ive attached a photo of the o ring that is on and the one that i was sent , i actually think the one that is on looks ok , any thoughts , the new one is too loose to stay in the groove , obviously incorrect , also can i use any similar size halfords o ring ? The sides on this are pretty flat and not the usual rounded sides of an o ring

Attachments

• 20171017_134339.jpg
    20171017_134339.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back