General NZ Bambinas in Auckland... 1996

Currently reading:
General NZ Bambinas in Auckland... 1996

Back in 1996 my sister got married to a Kiwi, so we all hopped in planes and went to attend. Good choice: 25 years later they are still married! (y)

Offcourse, after spending >24 hours in a plane, you want to get the utmost out of the NZ-experience...

Driving around Auckland, headed for one of the old volcanoes, we spotted a Fiat dealer on Mt Eden Rd with some classis 500's in front of the store. We were allowed to have a look inside at a prestine Bambina. Behind the shop, in a yard, a few Bambina's were 'parked'. The shopowner commented that they were given to him by their previous owners, so that he could use spares to keep others on the road. Apparently at that time it was very difficult to get spareparts...

He also showed us pictures of another yard with more then 50 Bambina's waiting for better times.

Hopefully some of those made it & are back on the road!

+ 500 regards,
Martin

Thanks for the pictures Martin. At that time I lived about 3 doors up from John Collins' workshop (JC Automotive) and he serviced my (pictured) yellow 500 (which I purchased from him). He's no longer fixing 500s but I understand he still has a large warehouse full of the very best 500s he acquired over the years. At that time the 500 had little value and were even used as footballs at a stockcar meet, something John was incensed by and even had a local paper cover the atrocity.

I can also confirm that JA500 is still alive and well with its owner of 43 years. He recently had an engine and brake upgrade but still retains the gearbox he's covered over 260,000kms with. He is also the man responsible for the book about the Bambina.

Attachments

• todd niall.jpg
    todd niall.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1432469252.jpg
    1432469252.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200427_150455.jpg
    IMG_20200427_150455.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the pictures Martin. At that time I lived about 3 doors up from John Collins' workshop (JC Automotive) and he serviced my (pictured) yellow 500 (which I purchased from him). He's no longer fixing 500s but I understand he still has a large warehouse full of the very best 500s he acquired over the years. At that time the 500 had little value and were even used as footballs at a stockcar meet, something John was incensed by and even had a local paper cover the atrocity.

I can also confirm that JA500 is still alive and well with its owner of 43 years. He recently had an engine and brake upgrade but still retains the gearbox he's covered over 260,000kms with. He is also the man responsible for the book about the Bambina.

How Cool Andrew! And what a small world...
Nice to hear that John is still enjoying his Bambinas. I told him then that I found my Vignale Gamine in 1992 in Sydney & brought it back with me to The Netherlands. He really took time to show us around & even gave us a Bambina emblem as a reminder of our visit!

I would have expected the JA500 to still run strong indeed. That it belongs to the writer of The Bambina book I did not know. (uhh.. I did not know about the book!). I just sent the image to the editor of our Dutch club magazine & he commented that he was present at the Garlenda presentation of the Bambina book. He met Todd Niall & even got a signed copy of the book. As he had already purchased one before the meeting, he asked me a minute ago if I would like it... (y)(y)

Thanks for sharing the images & the book with me Andrew!

ps. Just also got a picture of the back cover: my wife & I walked on top of that bridge once! https://youtu.be/ekGgTQNiawE Can recommend the Auckland Bridge Climb to anyone!

Ps2. that red Alfa goes well with a yellow Bambina!! :)

Last edited:
It's a very good book Martin. NZ has an interesting history with the 500. Everyone over a certain age has a story about one.
I lived for many years in Auckland (now in Napier) and drove over that bridge on a daily basis to work for a few years. It now has quite a few more lanes added. I have that original brochure too.
Ah, the red Alfa. I was too young and stupid (and poor) to do that car justice. If I'd kept it I would be laughing today. Sadly I sold it for a song. It still lives as far as I know, as does the Bambina although now in blue.

Yes... I look forward to reading it! Is it correct that the Bambina's were different from the Fiat 500's sold in Australia??

That Alfa Romeo -being original- would be a small fortune now!

Loved Napier too; pretty relaxed city. And offcourse had to swim with the dolphins...

Was chatting with my sister yesterday & she does remember those Bambina's on Mt Eden Rd vividly too. She even sent me a link for one that is up for auction. Well built, but it's probably an Aussie import??
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/fiat/500/listing/2923782592

Cheers! Martin

Yes... I look forward to reading it! Is it correct that the Bambina's were different from the Fiat 500's sold in Australia??

That Alfa Romeo -being original- would be a small fortune now!

Loved Napier too; pretty relaxed city. And offcourse had to swim with the dolphins...

Was chatting with my sister yesterday & she does remember those Bambina's on Mt Eden Rd vividly too. She even sent me a link for one that is up for auction. Well built, but it's probably an Aussie import??
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/fiat/500/listing/2923782592

Cheers! Martin

I haven't got the book to hand but I can't remember there being any differences to the Aussie cars. The one for auction was sold new here in 1968 and from memory that was the last year of local assembly. After that they were imported built-up from Italy until 1973. Around 6000 500s were assembled in NZ.

I can confirm the Dolphins are now gone and the Marineland attraction closed. We now have a large aquarium instead

We actually swam with dolphins in open sea, but -on second thought- that would have been in Kaikoura...

I did not know they were importing complete cars later from Italy.
The Vignale Gamine only became available as right hand drive after the UK-importer (Frixos Demetriou) ordered something like 200 cars. They came as rolling chassis from Fiat and that started in 1968 too!

Is it known how many Bambinas are still alive in NZ??

On all of my trips to NZ I only ever saw two 500s on the road and attending a classic car shows in Rotorua. I did visit a few museums which all had at least one on display. That included the one in Hamilton that had two and also a very rare Vespa car.

Attachments

• 2383347A-3804-46E8-926C-EA9A5EE7CA93.jpeg
    2383347A-3804-46E8-926C-EA9A5EE7CA93.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
there are quite a few still in road worthy condition but many sit in garages for most of the time. The last get together in Napier (late last year) drew 7 local cars. I know of several others that couldn't make it. The wagon has moved south now.
A reasonable number have been exported to Japan, UK and Australia over the years but there's still a healthy number left and more keep popping up that I haven't seen before. I'm not aware of a single Gamine in NZ sadly

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_114917.jpg
    IMG_20200920_114917.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
On all of my trips to NZ I only ever saw two 500s on the road and attending a classic car shows in Rotorua. I did visit a few museums which all had at least one on display. That included the one in Hamilton that had two and also a very rare Vespa car.

NICE! Will put that museum on the list the next time we visit Auckland. COVID-permitting offcourse... :cool:

there are quite a few still in road worthy condition but many sit in garages for most of the time. The last get together in Napier (late last year) drew 7 local cars. I know of several others that couldn't make it. The wagon has moved south now.
A reasonable number have been exported to Japan, UK and Australia over the years but there's still a healthy number left and more keep popping up that I haven't seen before. I'm not aware of a single Gamine in NZ sadly

Cool meeting though! You should invite Guinness Book of Records for the maximum amount of driving Baminas. We once did that in the Netherlands with Gamines. The Worldbreaking record of 6 cars in one row still stands!! (y)

(we did have a later meeting with 14 of the 20 cars is The Netherlands though!)

I run a worldwide Gamine Register and indeed, none have popped up in NZ so far. 2 in Australia and a couple in Japan. 530+ in 29 countries: far more then expected by many....

NICE! Will put that museum on the list the next time we visit Auckland. COVID-permitting offcourse... :cool:

There is an interesting but slightly crazy museum on the outskirts of Tirau. Some very interesting vehicles in there and there was a Bambina right at the back.
There were two 500s in the motor museum as you head north out of Wellington.

We broke ours on the outskirts of Tirau on the delivery run to Wellington! Finished the trip one the back of a car transporter. Stripped spline on the drive shaft. Complete restoration followedIMG_1891.JPGIMG_2045.JPGIMG_0700.JPG

[/url]
... I just sent the image of the Bambina-book to the editor of our Dutch club magazine & he commented that he was present at the Garlenda presentation of the book. He met Todd Niall & even got a signed copy of the book. As he had already purchased one before the meeting, he asked me a minute ago if I would like it... (y)(y)

Finally joined both:
* rediscovered Bambina-emblem, gift from John while visiting JC Automotive on Mt. Eden road & admiring the JA-500 in 1996
* The Bambina-book signed by the author/owner of the JA-500!! (y)

VERY nice book. Those images and stories are an absolute must for every 500-fan.

Last edited:
Back