General Now Desperate

Currently reading:
General Now Desperate

I noticed you bought the van after retirement?!? If so, and you were part of a union, they’re pretty damned good at legal, like dogs with bones!

Update,my wife and I went away Monday after being told that our part would be at least another week we managed to hire a static .Tuesday am 8.30 13 th June our Motorhome was being fixed today and would be back with them tomorrow Wednesday 14 th I’ve just driven all the way to Scotland to be told it’s fixed, fiat have phoned me today saying the adblue injector failed to fix it they are now waiting on an adblue tank to fix it I will keep you updated 😩

On scanning the whole thread, I have not found any previous mention of adblue. Perhaps I missed the particular sentence. Now we have mention of an adblue tank. This has caused my ancient brain to partially recall a posting in which reported a trapped fuel line, breather, or could it have been a trapped adblue connection? There was a reply quoting a second similar occurence of the problem. It may be worth noting that the trapped line, had been trapped by the converters bodywork in both instances. Down to lack of care by the converter. As I recall it took some finding.

Sorry to be so vague, and it could be a "red herring", but a trapped connecting pipe would not be cured by injector or tank replacement.

Thanks for the repl
On scanning the whole thread, I have not found any previous mention of adblue. Perhaps I missed the particular sentence. Now we have mention of an adblue tank. This has caused my ancient brain to partially recall a posting in which reported a trapped fuel line, breather, or could it have been a trapped adblue connection? There was a reply quoting a second similar occurence of the problem. It may be worth noting that the trapped line, had been trapped by the converters bodywork in both instances. Down to lack of care by the converter. As I recall it took some finding.

Sorry to be so vague, and it could be a "red herring", but a trapped connecting pipe would not be cured by injector or tank replacement.
thanks for the reply fiat professional fitted an adblue injector on Tuesday when it was going to be delivered back to me the adblue fault light reappeared they are now going to fit an adblue tank thankfully it’s all under warranty,I have taken on board what you said about a trapped line ,it was 11 months old when this occurred and 3850 miles.thanks again for interest

I've heard that Transit vans have the adblue control module on top of the adblue tank, and overfilling the tank can cause the module to fail. Genius piece of design, but allows easier fitting on production line, if the whole assembly is supplied ready to fit and connect. It is likely that Fiat may get their tank and control module from the same manufacturer, as this would not be something they'd develop themselves. Has it been overfilled?
(Think about this, but don't answer on here, if it may void the warranty.)

I've heard that Transit vans have the adblue control module on top of the adblue tank, and overfilling the tank can cause the module to fail. Genius piece of design, but allows easier fitting on production line, if the whole assembly is supplied ready to fit and connect. It is likely that Fiat may get their tank and control module from the same manufacturer, as this would not be something they'd develop themselves. Has it been overfilled?
(Think about this, but don't answer on here, if it may void the warranty.)
Thank you for that

Like Gordy29 it is interesting reading your comments, and thanks for your support.

I feel my experience should ‘go public’ as a warning to others, maybe an article in a motorhoming magazine? Any suggestions! It will be two months that Fiat has had my van for in 48 hours and it still isn’t fixed.

The latest was the parts, (which I was originally told would not be available until the end of July), musterioely turned up at the garage last Tuesday. - This was after Stellantis got involved and notified Fiat U.K. about the problem. I was assured by Fiat U.K. that the repaired would be done Tuesday/Weds and after tests on Thursday I would have my van back by Friday the latest. By Thursday evening I had not been contacted re a delivery time, so I rang the chap in the U.K. who was dealing with the matter. He said the garage had just informed Fiat Assist that the van wasn’t ready and for them to ring the garage again on Monday. (By now Inhad changed my Le Shuttle booking yet again….assuming the van would be back in Friday). I asked what the delay was this time but Fiat Assist has not asked!

I have a French friend in England. Unbeknown to Fiat she rang the garage in Castres to find out what was happening. She was told that one part had not arrived on Tuesday…..and miraculously again, it turned up whilst she was on the ‘phone to the garage! - I was assured by Fiat U.K. on Tuesday that all the parts had arrived!

I have suspected all along that the garage is telling lies in this matter.
1. They originally told me they could not look at the van until they had received authorisation from Fiat France. They didn’t touch the vehicle….yet had I been broken down at the roadside a diagnostic test would have been run. (My van was not inspected at all for 10 days).
2. They then could not establish the problem and took over three weeks to do so. (Why was the E tool they neededeventually needed not ordered sooner?).
3. They were untruthful about how long the parts were going to take to arrive. (End of July until Fiat U.K. questioned it).
4. Parts suddenly arrive when they are being checked up on!
5. Finally, when my French friend rang them they told her part of the communication problem was that nobody spoke French. This isn’t Italy false, as the chap who has been Fiat Assists contact with the garage is based in Croydon but is. French.
Fiat Assist International are also at fault. They have not pushed for information.
I am now also going to have to apply for an extension to my 90 days. I will never holiday in France again in my van. I will have to pass through it to get to Greece/Germany etc, but as a destination it is off my radar. Fiat in France seem to have no control over their associated garages, and the technical department is useless. I would never buy a Fiat vehicle again.

I've read this thread with interest and I do sympathise.
But I also look at it from the other side - I have been on it.
We had no control over the amount of work coming in and it was often too much to handle.
Just can't do it all at once
Someone has to wait
So do you make your regular customers, who you depend on to stay in business, wait?
Or the person you don't need, who is just passing through who you have never seen before and will never see again?
Be honest What would you do?
And would you tell them the blunt truth - that other customers are more important to you?
Or would you give them some flannel about not being able to get parts?

***** ducks for cover ****:eek:

I've read this thread with interest and I do sympathise.
But I also look at it from the other side - I have been on it.
We had no control over the amount of work coming in and it was often too much to handle.
Just can't do it all at once
Someone has to wait
So do you make your regular customers, who you depend on to stay in business, wait?
Or the person you don't need, who is just passing through who you have never seen before and will never see again?
Be honest What would you do?
And would you tell them the blunt truth - that other customers are more important to you?
Or would you give them some flannel about not being able to get parts?

***** ducks for cover ****:eek:

@Katerina
I have been reading of your predicament. Any progress?
Fiat phoned on Thursday to say my Motorhome was being repaired today 22nd June phoned fiat professional garage said it was being finished by pm Friday pm phoned my dealer and asked where was my Motorhome was it was finished but no driver to pick it up 🤣will be returned on Monday 26th they said as a gesture of goodwill they will refill the tank with diesel. I left it with them with over 3/4 tank 2 months ago I have proof I always take a photo of my dash board watch this space.

Fiat phoned on Thursday to say my Motorhome was being repaired today 22nd June phoned fiat professional garage said it was being finished by pm Friday pm phoned my dealer and asked where was my Motorhome was it was finished but no driver to pick it up 🤣will be returned on Monday 26th they said as a gesture of goodwill they will refill the tank with diesel. I left it with them with over 3/4 tank 2 months ago I have proof I always take a photo of my dash board watch this space.

picked my Motorhome back up 26th June washed and cleaned full tank of fuel really pleased to have it back.,biggest delay problem the motorhome warranty was not registered when taking delivery,dealer and fiat all quick enough to get your money but pass the buck when problems arise moan over.😊

picked my Motorhome back up 26th June washed and cleaned full tank of fuel really pleased to have it back.,biggest delay problem the motorhome warranty was not registered when taking delivery,dealer and fiat all quick enough to get your money but pass the buck when problems arise moan over.😊
PLEASE report this to trading standards as these people need to be brought to account. Please try and stop this happening to someone else. Please do rate them as a business on here so others can avoid them at all costs. I think some compensation should be provided for this as its really BAD I would give them one chance to make an offer before reporting them. If they are any good you should get something reasonably significant in compensation for loss of use etc. My opinion this should be in excess of £350!

Last edited:
Back