General Now Desperate

Currently reading:
General Now Desperate

Gordy29

My 2022 multi jet 3 motor home went into fiat professional Garage5th may 2023 my Motorhome was 11months old 3981 miles on the clock,I have not seen it for nearly 6weeks my dealer has tried with fiat I’ve sent messages and phoned nobody bothers to reply got a reply monday5thof June asking was I the owner scanned my driving licence and V5 documents to them. you could not make this up.

My 2022 multi jet 3 motor home went into fiat professional Garage5th may 2023 my Motorhome was 11months old 3981 miles on the clock,I have not seen it for nearly 6weeks my dealer has tried with fiat I’ve sent messages and phoned nobody bothers to reply got a reply monday5thof June asking was I the owner scanned my driving licence and V5 documents to them. you could not make this up.
Any chance Office of Fair Trading/ Sale of goods Act/money back?
Not fit for purpose etc.etc.?

As bugsy said and, if it’s on tick, it technically belongs to the finance or leasing company…so ring them directly to fight your corner…it’s part of your rights under finance and contract law

I paid for it outright retirement present between me and my wife sold car and caravan which made up the bulk of the payment .Thank you for your advice will have to take legal advice now and try trading standards.

Go in and see them then???

If you're desperate go down there and see what they're doing.

I'm guessing the situation is not straight forward though and you have a van converter/motor home builder that you bought it off who took it to the fiat dealer, I'd still go to the dealer.

I paid for it outright retirement present between me and my wife sold car and caravan which made up the bulk of the payment .Thank you for your advice will have to take legal advice now and try trading standards.
At least you are not like a friend of mine, he sold his house , bought a motorhome to tour Scandinavia for a few years, leaving his money in the bank, by the time he got back house prices had rocketed so he couldn't afford another house and now he lives in a caravan!:(

Thanks I’ve been to my dealer who says the habitation side they deal but for the first 2years it’s fiat professional on the cab I’ve phoned constantly keep going round in circles 4 people are involved myself the dealer fiat professional and fiat uk which is Italy when phoning back it’s a French number of fiat

I had to provide similar documentation for Fiat to reset the start of the warranty to the Registration date. Of course the MH dealer should do that prior to delivery to the customer but many don't.

You have my sympathy. I bought new in 2009. Paid cash. Multiple problems. In the garage more than out and was starting to forget what it looked like. Fiat were next to useless. Just disgusting.

Update Friday 9th June, phoned fiat professional Garage am Friday parts still not in, Emailed fiat customer support again and asked where is the part having been told my Motorhome would be ready for the weekend phoned by fiat and told there are no parts available none in fiat’s warehouse can’t make this up could you she doesn’t know when any will be available.bearing in mind they have had my Motorhome since 2nd may.I will now be taking my dealership down the path of unfit for purpose and loss of use.To cheer me up the garage is running out of space will fiats stood up awaiting parts.Sorry rant over

Not related. The repairing garage can't get parts(rear door panel damaged in collision) and paint for my partners VW Polo. They can't give a time when the repair will be done. The reason given BREXIT.

Not related. The repairing garage can't get parts(rear door panel damaged in collision) and paint for my partners VW Polo. They can't give a time when the repair will be done. The reason given BREXIT.
You'd think that parts for the Ducato would now be easier, as it was a joint venture with PSA, now all under the same umbrella.
Brexit is a silly excuse. That may add some bureaucracy and cost, and maybe a little delay, but nor non-availability. It is not as if the channel suddenly became wider, or unnavigable.

You'd think that parts for the Ducato would now be easier, as it was a joint venture with PSA, now all under the same umbrella.
Brexit is a silly excuse. That may add some bureaucracy and cost, and maybe a little delay, but nor non-availability. It is not as if the channel suddenly became wider, or unnavigable.
Yup, wehn the mates ducato snapped a driveshaft, about five years ago, Fiat didn’t have it in stock in the country, so we just went to Citroen and got it…
Brexit is a reality, all the motor factors, dealerships (and, for those of us that used to get parts from abroad, suppliers no longer sending to UK), have indicated the hassle brexit has caused, so EU manufacturers and suppliers are waiting till they get full loads to the UK, rather than simply just in time or otherwise.
This applies across the board, not just cars/vans but also all our farming equipment, kubota bits from France and Italy, hydraulic motors etc from Germany I could go on…our local kubota dealer is telling us they maybe reviewing their viability as some common consumable bits, service kits etc, are taking a month or more, and that’s their bread n butter stuff!

Last edited:
Bought new 2008. Air con packed up. Fiat said it was out of warranty. It was 15 months old. Fiat timed the warranty from when the cab was supplied to the converter(in this case Lunar) not when the conversion was completed. A lot of it was going on with Fiat at the time.

Thanks I’ve been to my dealer who says the habitation side they deal but for the first 2years it’s fiat professional on the cab I’ve phoned constantly keep going round in circles 4 people are involved myself the dealer fiat professional and fiat uk which is Italy when phoning back it’s a French number of fiat
Brings back memories you would think you have two vehicles.

Brings back memories you would think you have two vehicles.
Heard exactly the same tale on a transit and VW…VAG are those special people where their vehicle is their personality, off the peg, bland etc etc but it’s got the badge, on the VW conversion the builder picked up the tab where the VW had run out.
The transit one was a case of going backwards and forwards as the van was clearly bought from Ford at date A, converted at date B, sold to customer date C…presumably registered just after purchase point D, but Ford sold back at point A…I don’t know what eventually transpired as I left the motorhome forums as was full of ‘my vans bigger than yours’ and silly arguments about the cost of a meal in Zurich

I believe every word you have written Gordy29. You are not the only one who is desperate.

I broke down on April 26th in the South of France in my van. I am a lady in my 70’s who has been recently widowed. I was travelling alone with just my young rescue dog for company.

I waited five and a half hours on a busy road junction before a low loader picked me up. I was then taken to a Fiat dealership an hour away. It was too late for the van to be looked at that evening, so the following morning the mechanic did a diagnostic test on it but could not find the fault.
I was low loaded again to the bigger ‘parent’ garage another 45 minutes away. When I got there the service manager didn’t want the van. I insisted that as it was still under warranty with only 9,125 miles on the clock…they had to accept it.
The van was taken off the lorry but put in a hotel car park next door. I was told they could not look at it until they got permission from Fiat Technical France. I said this was rubbish, as if I had broken down at the roadside someone would have inspected it,,,,as they had already done do at the first garage!
My van was left for 9 days without anyone looking at it at all. When I complainEd to Fiat Assist International/Allianz they said they had been told by the garage that someone was checking it regularly! I said this was NOT true. (I was still staying in it) at that stage). Still nothing was done.
Eventually work was started but the fault could not be found. An E-Tool had to be sourced from the U.K!
It is now six and a half weeks since I broke down and my van is still in a garage in Castres, France.
Yesterday I was informed by Allianz that Fiat is still waiting for some parts to complete the repair and they won’t be available until 21st-28th JULY. - That will mean my 21 reg van will be off the road for over 3 months.
The fault is with the automatic gear box. - A valve problem. They are waiting for the delivery of joints/seals to finish the repair. I am going to attempt to ask them to put a new gearbox in when I try to get hold of someone senior in the company on Monday. If they cannot do the repair in a reasonable amount of time then they need to look at replacing the whole unit…..which will not need the joints/seals.
I would never recommend anyone to buy a Fiat vehicle again after this dreadful experience. At the moment I am still stuck in France, as repatriation by train, plane or even driving by car from the South of France to the SW of England is not an option with a young rescue dog who gets car sick.
I would never have attempted this trip if I had been in an old vehicle. I felt I was being quite responsible in a new van. If anyone has any suggestions of how to move this matter forwards/contact details for someone senior in Fiat, I would be very grateful.

Back