General Noob here

Currently reading:
General Noob here

w1nd

Hi All,

New member here, I got the wife a 500 to cut down on running costs from her previous Golf TDI GT. She only does about 5 miles a day so think this is a better option in the long run.

She likes a sporty looking cae so making a few changes this weekend.

At the moment its a 1.2 pop electoclash - grey, completely standard apart from reversing sensors..

This weekend its getting colour coded mirror covers, Abarth alloys and a side stripe (not looking forward to that job).

P.S - I secretly like driving it to, like a go-kart!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good. Very similar story to me, i cant help 'borrowing' her car instead of my C Class.

I also got a 500 pop and straight away colour coded the mirrors. I havent got round to wheels but i may be tempted. Where did you get the arbarth alloys?

Cant persuade the owner (My wife) to get stripes though so i went for the chrome bumper guards

w1nd,

Hi and welcome to the forum. (y)

How old is the 500 you've bought? Does it have Stop/Start??

I would recommend your wife takes it out for a spin of more than 5 miles at least once or twice a week, else you could find your battery will start to suffer. My Missus does a 18 mile round trip to work every day and thankfully, so far, hasn't suffered any issues with either the S/S or battery.

Not much else to say really, just enjoy the car, consider buying a decent set of mats (if you don't already have any that is).

A couple of minor things to be aware of. The front suspension top mounts (under the bonnet) can fill with water (well ours did the first couple of weeks we had it) and cause the suspension top nuts to rust. I cut the bottoms off a couple of 1 litre fizzy drinks bottles and placed them over the suspension mount 'cups' and they no longer fill up with water on rainy days or when going through the car wash. Oh, and check your window washer squirter barrels mounted in the bonnet, they can come loose and fall out!

If you intend getting a Fiat dealer service, please, please 'phone around for quotes! Otherwise, use a good trusted independent.

And finally, please have a really good read through the threads. There is a lot of really good info on here. Enjoy!

I second everything frupi said above. My wife does low mileage so i make it my job to take it out once a week for a run up the motorway and a little spin about :)

Our SS hasnt caused any issues and works perfectly in the 300 miles so far.

Hadnt read about the suspension mounts so i will be checking that tonight.

Oh and we got our mats off ebay. Black with a nice 500 logo on for £20 + postage

Hadnt read about the suspension mounts so i will be checking that tonight.

That was something I think I picked up on the forum some time back. When I checked our own, the suspension top mounts were full of water. I dried them out, wire brushed the top nuts/threads, coated them in vaseline and put the pop bottle bottoms over the cups. They aren't even stuck down, they just sit there seemingly unaffected by air/wind. They are in quite a sheltered postion though, so that probably helps. Anyway, problem solved, no more pooling water.

Wow some great tips, thanks for the warm welcome!

Where did you get the arbarth alloys?

Did a cash deal outside of ebay, they are brand new with tyres the guy just got the essesse (however you spell it) pack!

Black with a nice 500 logo on for £20 + postage

:eek: have already ordered those exact ones!

frupi said:
How old is the 500 you've bought? Does it have Stop/Start??

No thankfully, not sure I am a fan of that, its a 2009 with 17k on the clock.

Great tip on the mounts, will give it a good clean this weekend and give it a good check over!

frupi said:
I would recommend your wife takes it out for a spin of more than 5 miles

Perfect excuse for me to use it once a week, I do a 70 mile round trip so that should be good for it..

Thanks again :slayer:

Hi All,

New member here, I got the wife a 500 to cut down on running costs from her previous Golf TDI GT. She only does about 5 miles a day so think this is a better option in the long run.

She likes a sporty looking cae so making a few changes this weekend.

At the moment its a 1.2 pop electoclash - grey, completely standard apart from reversing sensors..

This weekend its getting colour coded mirror covers, Abarth alloys and a side stripe (not looking forward to that job).

P.S - I secretly like driving it to, like a go-kart!

Welcome to the forum wind.
You wouldn't be the only noob on here !

A thread here on the different Abarth alloys that you can put on a 500.
On a 1.2 model suggest keeping to a 16 inch size.
Plenty of Abarth ones coming up on ebay in that size for those who have upgraded to the esseesse kit.
As an alloy upgrade I like the 'by diesel' alloys which are part of the 'Abarth kit' option that's available on the TA & TA + model. These have been sprayed black but they've left the 'outside' in alloy.
A 'wanted ad' on the FF wouldn't cost anything.

Another option in place of the colour coded mirror covers is satin mirror covers - these can look well. Only issue is the 'clash' with the chrome at the front of the car but some may not notice.

What stripes were you looking at ?

EDIT: just noticed you got the Abarth alloys:doh:. Your posting wasn't there when I replied.:eek:

Last edited:
What stripes were you looking at ?

Not sure yet, maybe some metallic silver stripes, like the Abarth but without the actual word. Its difficult to find any electro clash grey 500's with stripes so not sure what will look the best. All I know is I think they all look better with some form of stripe..

Yep wheels are the 17" petals, my missus loved the look of them.

If the ride is that badly comprimised we will swap for the 16" or maybe upgrade the suspension, will see how she rolls for a little while. I am sure I wont loose any money on them as got a good deal (y)

Not sure yet, maybe some metallic silver stripes, like the Abarth but without the actual word. Its difficult to find any electro clash grey 500's with stripes so not sure what will look the best. All I know is I think they all look better with some form of stripe..

Yep wheels are the 17" petals, my missus loved the look of them.

If the ride is that badly comprimised we will swap for the 16" or maybe upgrade the suspension, will see how she rolls for a little while. I am sure I wont loose any money on them as got a good deal (y)

The 17inch petals are the lighter of the 2 upgraded alloys on the A500 so that's the better of the two. As a consolidation the tyres will more than likely be Pirelli P0s and last well and have relatively lower rolling resistance compared to the Continentals on the 16 inch wheels. According to another member on here it didn't impact mpg by much.

Check out RUI's 500. He has some nice strips down the middle of the car which sound a bit OTT but they look well. They don't stand out too much. If you're after the Abarth stripes on the side like the ones on the A500 they can be picked up resonably. You could emulate the ones that come on the Abarth kit pack on the TA & TA+. There's some recent threads on here on them.

In relation to the suspension the best upgrade that I've seen lately is the Koni Sports (covered on the Panda section) just on the rears to keep the cost down. Some have also changed the rear bump stops to Fiat coupe ones. They're cheap on ebay and relatively easy to fit.

Last edited:
The 17inch petals are the lighter of the 2 upgraded alloys on the A500 so that's the better of the two. As a consolidation the tyres will more than likely be Pirelli P0s

Yep brand new P0's... will see how they go!

With regards to stripes dont want to emulate an A500, just want to have something a bit different. Certainly wont be changing badges or anything like that, its just the wheels we liked.

Will browse through ebay and see whats about!

Yep will check out RUI's 500.

Been lurking around for ages but have not posted much.

Finally here is a pic:

Yep I think these Petals go with the electroclash grey perfectly.

To be honest the handling to me seems improved, but its certainly more bumpy with these wheels on... just avoid the pot holes and its fine! :)

Back