500 Noob From USA

Currently reading:
500 Noob From USA

Johnny come lately here... bought a 2012 500 Pop earlier this year and have been enjoying the heck out of it. I look forward to joining into the fray here and seeing what kind of knowledge or lack thereof can be gleaned from visiting your site.

(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
my car...

So far my modifications consist of lowering, alloys, tint, rocker stripe, rear seat and muffler delete, weight removal (140 lbs so far), ram air intake tube, dte pedal box, rear wiper delete, "1400" rear badge, and a lightweight battery...

20120721_190827.jpg

20120721_190959.jpg

20120721_190859a.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the FF zonder.(y)
You're probably the first modder on here with a the new Multi-air 500.
Would be interested if the mods made any difference.
Weight reduction probably had the most effect.

thanks loveshandbags

i'm an old school hot roddaer and yes probably at this point, the weight reduction has been my best performance friend.

the multi-air motor does like intake and exhaust modification, and since i have not professionally dynoed it, all I can say is what I have read from other reputable vendors, and their claim is intake/exhaust/timing controller is good for about 10 whp.

At this point I have a 70mm ram air tube located under the bumper at air dam level - feeding into the inlet of a modified stock intake system (k&n drop in filter, larger ID throttle body elbow) and a straight pipe in place of the muffler. I did notice a seat of the pants improvement but since I have been carving lbs. at the same time I cannot say what contributed to what. I can tell you that in stock form I could hit 114mph in 4th, and now I can see 120mph.

I have some other mods in store like a WOT alternator cutout and a WOT enabled modified iat / ect sensor circuit. I hope to have those done in a few months and that in addition to pulling another 60lbs from the car (replace heavy front airbag equipped seats with a nice set of retro styled racing seats).

When done, I'm hoping for a car that will hit 125mph and weigh 2150 lbs (the USA models are heavy - 2363 lbs with manual trans). That will put me within earshot of a stock 500 Abarth :)

Last edited:
Thanks - would still like to see a bit more how it looks without the rear seats (not that my wife and kids would be too pleased if I copied zonker).

Last edited:
thanks loveshandbags

i'm an old school hot roddaer and yes probably at this point, the weight reduction has been my best performance friend.

the multi-air motor does like intake and exhaust modification, and since i have not professionally dynoed it, all I can say is what I have read from other reputable vendors, and their claim is intake/exhaust/timing controller is good for about 10 whp.

At this point I have a 70mm ram air tube located under the bumper at air dam level - feeding into the inlet of a modified stock intake system (k&n drop in filter, larger ID throttle body elbow) and a straight pipe in place of the muffler. I did notice a seat of the pants improvement but since I have been carving lbs. at the same time I cannot say what contributed to what. I can tell you that in stock form I could hit 114mph in 4th, and now I can see 120mph.

I have some other mods in store like a WOT alternator cutout and a WOT enabled modified iat / ect sensor circuit. I hope to have those done in a few months and that in addition to pulling another 60lbs from the car (replace heavy front airbag equipped seats with a nice set of retro styled racing seats).

When done, I'm hoping for a car that will hit 125mph and weigh 2150 lbs (the USA models are heavy - 2363 lbs with manual trans). That will put me within earshot of a stock 500 Abarth :)

There was a guy with a Panda 100HP who put in a cold air feed that was on the inside of his front bumper (his bumper was off) leaving his stock air intake in place and he was quite pleased with the result. It sounds similar to what you have done but you seem to have gone a stage further. He noticed a difference in responsiveness as in more torque like the Sport button was on when it was off. Doubt that this mod would result in 10bhp but another guy on here with a non-MA 1.4 did get a dyno proven 12bhp with a CAI and a remap. When I looked at the MA engine setup this particular CAI wouldn't fit since the gap between alongside the battery was too tight for it. On balance your mod might be the best since there are downsides to an 'open cone'.

On the muffler delete did you remove the middle box with a straight through box and leave the back box in place ? Unsure if it's the same setup as the European. Also have you considered 'wrapping' your exhaust with ceramic tape - although this mod might only be useful if you have an open cone.

Have you considered using better spark plugs e.g. Denso VXU22 might possibly be the best spark plug available for the 1.4 - here's a youtube of how they're different (Click here). It might help to squeeze an extra 1-2 mph on deserted runway in the U.S. since speed limits are strictly enforced over there.

One mod that some have done is a Sports cat 100 cell removing the cat in the manifold and placing it further down the exhaust. Supersprint setup was the preferred option - unsure if it would fit on MA 1.4

On the European MA 1.4 it has 105bhp as standard whilst the US version got 101bhp but has more torque. So depending how you look at it you might have got a little short changed.

Can you confirm if you are using 5W30 synthetic oil as opposed to 5W40 ? Getting mixed information on it.

Really like the rear seat removal - it creates a flat loading bay and gives more room if you were carrying stuff. On the front seat change the Sabelts (££££) save 10Kg in total but they are pricey and like the ones that you are looking to get have no airbags. Not too sure how difficult it is to get a airbag bypass so that the airbag light doesn't come on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inquiry and kind words, and yes Colin Chapman (and Carlo Abarth) are my inspiration when it comes to performance thru weight shedding.

A couple pics of the rear area... the US versions have a flat steel cargo floor with the optional spare tyre mounted underneath via winch.

Do the EU models have a sump for the tyre inside the cargo area?

Piccys:
2012-05-27102810.jpg

2012-05-27102831.jpg

There was a guy with a Panda 100HP who put in a cold air feed that was on the inside of his front bumper (his bumper was off) leaving his stock air intake in place and he was quite pleased with the result. It sounds similar to what you have done but you seem to have gone a stage further. He noticed a difference in responsiveness as in more torque like the Sport button was on when it was off. Doubt that this mod would result in 10bhp but another guy on here with a non-MA 1.4 did get a dyno proven 12bhp with a CAI and a remap. When I looked at the MA engine setup this particular CAI wouldn't fit since the gap between alongside the battery was too tight for it. On balance your mod might be the best since there are downsides to an 'open cone'.

On the muffler delete did you remove the middle box with a straight through box and leave the back box in place ? Unsure if it's the same setup as the European. Also have you considered 'wrapping' your exhaust with ceramic tape - although this mod might only be useful if you have an open cone.

Have you considered using better spark plugs e.g. Denso VXU22 might possibly be the best spark plug available for the 1.4 - here's a youtube of how they're different (Click here). It might help to squeeze an extra 1-2 mph on deserted runway in the U.S. since speed limits are strictly enforced over there.

One mod that some have done is a Sports cat 100 cell removing the cat in the manifold and placing it further down the exhaust. Supersprint setup was the preferred option - unsure if it would fit on MA 1.4

On the European MA 1.4 it has 105bhp as standard whilst the US version got 101bhp but has more torque. So depending how you look at it you might have got a little short changed.

Can you confirm if you are using 5W30 synthetic oil as opposed to 5W40 ? Getting mixed information on it.

Really like the rear seat removal - it creates a flat loading bay and gives more room if you were carrying stuff. On the front seat change the Sabelts (££££) save 10Kg in total but they are pricey and like the ones that you are looking to get have no airbags. Not too sure how difficult it is to get a airbag bypass so that the airbag light doesn't come on.

Good insight there on the spark plugs and intake thoughts - I appreciate that.

On the muffler delete, I only removed the rearmost muffler and replaced with a straight pipe and tip. The central resonator and forward cat are still intact for different reasons.

The resonator does an excellent job of controlling NVH issues even with the muffler gone, not a single buzz or vibration has been added to the cabin by this change, and it's back pressure is really low.

As for the forward catalyst, well I live in California, which has bi-annual emissions testing and can be a really bad thing if you get pulled over on the street without the CARB approved cat on your car. There has even been vehicle confiscations if you are caught with a non smog legal car (u need to be doing something else bad mind you).

Exhaust wrap is a thought but since the catalyst is there, I'm not sure if I might start retaining too much heat in the system and start seeing failures. I'll have to do more pondering on that one.

As for oil, I am still under factory free oil changes (first 2 changes) and they are using regular 5w30 dino. I plan on going to Mobil 1 (0w30 or 5w30) when it comes time to pay my own way on the oil changes.

The seats... well the fronts combined weigh in at 102 lbs, and theres a company in texas that makes nice vintage style sports car seats and they weigh under 22lbs each. That and a set of OMP seat mounts should do the trick. As for airbar light, I might play with resistors to see if I can mimic the value the ecu is looking for, otherwise it's ignore the light or a little electrical tape on the inside of the gauge lens :)

Rob

Last edited:
Good insight there on the spark plugs and intake thoughts - I appreciate that.

On the muffler delete, I only removed the rearmost muffler and replaced with a straight pipe and tip. The central resonator and forward cat are still intact for different reasons.

The resonator does an excellent job of controlling NVH issues even with the muffler gone, not a single buzz or vibration has been added to the cabin by this change, and it's back pressure is really low.

As for the forward catalyst, well I live in California, which has bi-annual emissions testing and can be a really bad thing if you get pulled over on the street without the CARB approved cat on your car. There has even been vehicle confiscations if you are caught with a non smog legal car (u need to be doing something else bad mind you).

Exhaust wrap is a thought but since the catalyst is there, I'm not sure if I might start retaining too much heat in the system and start seeing failures. I'll have to do more pondering on that one.

As for oil, I am still under factory free oil changes (first 2 changes) and they are using regular 5w30 dino. I plan on going to Mobil 1 (0w30 or 5w30) when it comes time to pay my own way on the oil changes.

The seats... well the fronts combined weigh in at 102 lbs, and theres a company in texas that makes nice vintage style sports car seats and they weigh under 22lbs each. That and a set of OMP seat mounts should do the trick. As for airbar light, I might play with resistors to see if I can mimic the value the ecu is looking for, otherwise it's ignore the light or a little electrical tape on the inside of the gauge lens :)

Rob

Sounds like your CAT is in the manifold - the same as the European one. Placing a Sports Cat - say a 200 cell one (I think the standard is 400 cell) further down the exhaust allows a 4 branch performance Manifold and by all accounts makes the 500 1.4 much more responsive and more efficient. The downside to having the CAT further down means that it takes longer for it to get up to temperature so that it starts working. For some who have done this mod struggled to get the CAT light to go off with some having to resort to a re-map. This can be an expensive mod but probably one worth doing (if you can get away with it). Over here all you have to do is to get it past the MOT / NCT (every 2 years for this).

If one 'wraps' you can just do the top part of the manifold but leave about 2-3 inches where it joins the head. You wrap as far as the CAT and stop.
When you refer to regular 5w30 dino - is this synthetic or semi ?
Over here the MA has to run on 5w40 ACEA C3 and it's the same with the MA with the turbo as in our Punto Evo or newer Alfas.

In relation to Mobile I wouldn't be a fan of them (anymore) and would suggest looking at Amsoil which does a Class IV oil and it can be bought at a respectable price in the US. It has faired much better in the 'wear' tests whilst the M1 appears to have come out poorly. There are no compatable Class V Ester oils since the oil needed for the Fiat engine is a low ash one (C3). If you 'work your engine' I would stir clear of a 0w30. The thinner oil will give more bhp but will not provide the same protection.

That weight reduction on replacing the seats is quite a bit - nearly half a person.:)

The bypass on the airbag for seats is only an 'end plug' (although it's a special one). There was a discussion on it before on the FF and IIRC Recardo sold them if you bought their seats plus it also comes with the Sabelts which some have fitted in the Abarths. The 'bit' of electrical tape isn't going to do the job. If the airbag light is on the rest of the airbags may not work.:(

the long header and relocated cat would need a CARB approval, which involves testing and an exemption number. Supersprint is not going to spend the coin to do that, so I think we're stuck with the existing manifold/cat in street trim.

Not sure If I want to wrap still - not a lot of manifold there to wrap and it already is shielded so the benefit might be minor. Haven't peeked under the tin to see if the manifold is cast iron or stainless tube... now I'm wondering.

I believe it's a regular non (or possibly semi) synthetic. I know there was talk about reconfiguring the multi air to run on lower grade engine oils, and the ACEA C3 spec is probably just that (our oils are SAE classified like SE, SG, etc).

So Mobil 1 has been outclassed? I know for the longest time it was one of very few oils that met the GM-4716 SAE spec involving heat breakdown. But times change and that spec was made in the 90's so.... I think I'm going to look into oils here that meet that spec. Castrol Syntec perhaps??

As for rear seats, yes the american 500's are reinforced structure wise to make a 5 star crash safety rating, and thet meant heavy metal seat backs and brackets for the rear seats, as well as a beefier rear bumper support (18 lbs!) and a three path front crash zone using a secondary bumper support below the main one (one of the reasons why american 500's don't have a 6 speed trans).

Re: airbags - the plug might just be a resistor (or at least thats what I am hoping). Hopefully a plug will be offered soon, or if I just have to lose the use of the airbags it's ok. Been driving cars without airbags for many moons and I can live a little dangerously that way. Still better than a motorcycle ;)

the long header and relocated cat would need a CARB approval, which involves testing and an exemption number. Supersprint is not going to spend the coin to do that, so I think we're stuck with the existing manifold/cat in street trim.

Not sure If I want to wrap still - not a lot of manifold there to wrap and it already is shielded so the benefit might be minor. Haven't peeked under the tin to see if the manifold is cast iron or stainless tube... now I'm wondering.

I believe it's a regular non (or possibly semi) synthetic. I know there was talk about reconfiguring the multi air to run on lower grade engine oils, and the ACEA C3 spec is probably just that (our oils are SAE classified like SE, SG, etc).

So Mobil 1 has been outclassed? I know for the longest time it was one of very few oils that met the GM-4716 SAE spec involving heat breakdown. But times change and that spec was made in the 90's so.... I think I'm going to look into oils here that meet that spec. Castrol Syntec perhaps??

As for rear seats, yes the american 500's are reinforced structure wise to make a 5 star crash safety rating, and thet meant heavy metal seat backs and brackets for the rear seats, as well as a beefier rear bumper support (18 lbs!) and a three path front crash zone using a secondary bumper support below the main one (one of the reasons why american 500's don't have a 6 speed trans).

Re: airbags - the plug might just be a resistor (or at least thats what I am hoping). Hopefully a plug will be offered soon, or if I just have to lose the use of the airbags it's ok. Been driving cars without airbags for many moons and I can live a little dangerously that way. Still better than a motorcycle ;)

The wrapping is only worthwhile doing if you are using an open cone in a closed bonnet and even then with the CAT in the manifold it's of limited value. I did it and felt it made a little difference but I had a CAI installed.

In relation to oils there are some threads on the 500 side - search for 'oil' in the title. I've included a few links to different 'scar tests' and the M1 came out miserably and I used to be a fan of M1. If I was based in the US I would use Amsoil. Over here it's a little too pricey. M1 used to use Ester in the Class III oil but then 'cheapened' the mix so you're paying for the marketing. For those who know about oil they have classified the M1 as a 'cleaning oil' before putting the good stuff in - I might be a little harsh here.:eek:
Valvoline also got the thumbs up as a good value oil and that's imported over here in large quantities. C3 classification is for 'wear' whilst the C2 is for economy but has recently been spruced up to include some of the wear capability of C3. M1 do an ESP 5W30 C3 / C2 and 'on paper' it looks a great choice but I would opt for an oil that has done well in the wear & 4 ball wear tests.
I do have to admit that I did buy Castrol recently and didn't splash out on the Amsoil - that would have been my first choice.

On the airbags there was a discussion on the 'importance' of them and I was surprised to 'pick up' that a decent seat and a 4 point harness (although this is a mod) is the 'next best thing'. Still I'd like the air bags to work and it's a requirement of an MOT / NCT test not to mention insurance cover.:)

More weight removal pics...

Here's under the "bonnet" -

2012-03-30171849.jpg

OEM engine cover and intake assy - 9.2 lbs
Shorty Intake filter assy - 1.1 lbs
Savings: 8.1 lbs

OEM Fiat Battery - 36.2 lbs
Group 81 lawn tractor Battery (350cc - a) - 16.4 lbs
Savings: 19.8 lbs

Removed Front Bumper Support (behind bumper) - 11.3 lbs

Underhood insulation - 0.8 lbs

Total removed off weight heavy front: 40 lbs

Pic of the muffler delete pipe...

2012-03-10091920.jpg

OEM 500 muffler - 12.6 lbs
Straight Pipe w/ tip - 4.3 lbs
Savings: 8.3 lbs

Rear Bumper Support delete: 18.0 lbs

Total Undercar Back: 26.3 lbs

Ram Air Intake (I'm not running the shorty filter at this time, I like the quiet of this system better and I think the ram effect improves on the power)

2012-06-27191537.jpg

2012-04-25181940.jpg

2012-06-28075927.jpg

2012-06-28075807.jpg

then... added a larger diameter intake elbow to get rid of the next largest restriction in the stock intake...

2012-05-25171222.jpg

Last edited:
Back