General Non-sporting Cinq value

Currently reading:
General Non-sporting Cinq value

Steve70

Hi everyone

I'm probablty a bit out of touch with the prices of Cinquecentos having not bought a project for a year or two, so I wondered where values are currently at?

I've been looking at an early car in with 57k on the clock. It was driven into a dry garage ten years ago and hasn't been started since! The paint is OK just grubby, as is the interior. Bodywise the boot corners are sound, as are the inner sills but with the usual crustiness developing at the back ends.

Its potentially a nice original car but an engine that's been dormant for ten years is a worry as it could have all manner of issues, particularly with furring up of the cooling system. The braking system would need a comprehensive overhaiul too, plus a set of new tyres would be on the cards.

I'd say under £500 for the value but I may be way off course. I'd appreciate any other opinions.

Steve

Attachments

• Surf1.jpg
    Surf1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Surf2.jpg
    Surf2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • Surf3.jpg
    Surf3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Hi everyone

I'm probablty a bit out of touch with the prices of Cinquecentos having not bought a project for a year or two, so I wondered where values are currently at?

I've been looking at an early car in with 57k on the clock. It was driven into a dry garage ten years ago and hasn't been started since! The paint is OK just grubby, as is the interior. Bodywise the boot corners are sound, as are the inner sills but with the usual crustiness developing at the back ends.

Its potentially a nice original car but an engine that's been dormant for ten years is a worry as it could have all manner of issues, particularly with furring up of the cooling system. The braking system would need a comprehensive overhaiul too, plus a set of new tyres would be on the cards.

I'd say under £500 for the value but I may be way off course. I'd appreciate any other opinions.

Steve

Very Old car that was cheap when new with no mot, very old tyres etc.

I would be saying bit more than scrap , £100 If you really really want it but seriously do you want it?

At least it doesnt have a cam belt.
But they don't like rusty cooling systems , blows head gasket.

It looks solid and not been messed with (which is always nice).
Looks like all the original hose clips under the bonnet.

You'll want to trailer it away though.
Fresh coolant, fresh oil, fresh brake fluid & new tyres.

Tappets probably stuck, but they are naff.
I got hold of the solid setup from a Panda and converted to that. Ran much quieter after that.

£100 is generous , scrap value possibly £60 If your are lucky.

Does it have full service history up to current 57,000 or was it treated like carp like a lots of cheap cars are?

I don't know about the paperwork, but I looked at the oil and it appeared to still be fairly clear, so I suspect it hasn't been treated like 'carp' :)

These cars are gaining some collectable value now and this one is well worth preserving as a nice original example just as long as it can be acquired for a realistic sum.

Judging values can be difficult- yes there are very few left, but not many people seem to care, although that will surely change as all baby Fiats seem to become sought-after given time. Look at the 126.

Beware clean oil in a non.runner

All the **** has settled to the sump pan
(Darned gravity)

I know its a lowly car.. but as you say they become rare quicker :(

If its actually solid.. its got a value as a sporting t.jet shell

blu73 will have more idea

(Werent you selling one ..a 903..for £600 last year?)

Last edited:
Beware clean oil in a non.runner

All the **** has settled to the sump pan
(Darned gravity)

I know its a lowly car.. but as you say they become rare quicker :(

If its actually solid.. its got a value as a sporting t.jet shell

blu73 will have more idea

(Werent you selling one ..a 903..for £600 last year?)

Don't get me wrong I like a lowly car.
I don't like trying to deal with people who think it's the crown jewels just cos it's old.

Second the oil looking clean because all the carp settled out.

I still think £100 generous especially if it's a non runner.

Last edited:
Yes good point with the oil- that would make sense.

I suspect the owner will end up hanging on to it as I don't think his idea of it's value and mine are going to get anywhere close enough to meet, which is fair enough.

There was recently a non-running Turquoise base model that made £600 on ebay, which I thought was very strong money. Since then it's been put on the road and polished up and is now with a dealer for £2,495 although whether he'll get that is another matter....

Yes good point with the oil- that would make sense.

I suspect the owner will end up hanging on to it as I don't think his idea of it's value and mine are going to get anywhere close enough to meet, which is fair enough.

There was recently a non-running Turquoise base model that made £600 on ebay, which I thought was very strong money. Since then it's been put on the road and polished up and is now with a dealer for £2,495 although whether he'll get that is another matter....

Ring the dealer ask them how much they will pay for another one? See what they say.

As with all things, value is relative to what someone will pay. I'm not really a fan of people putting a value on stuff like this, its an old cheap car, to one man its worth nothing, to another its a treasure to be saved - such people will value it very differently.

With fiats this age, for me at least, the value comes from the condition of the shell, there's nothing on one of these mechanically that can't be fixed for really cheap and getting your hands dirty :shrug: I can't weld so repairing rust is expensive for me but there's also something nice about having a cars thats never been welded.

If your interested in a project i'd say its well worth a visit to look it over, its got some cool things going for it being an early one, the desirable black dash (hopefully whatever that is fitted on top isn't drilled and bolted on and just stuck there), early style seats which look to be a bit grubby but with next to no wear. You often find with cars like this the owner is totally prepared to haggle quite a bit and there's a high price to put off tyre kickers but you never know unless you get in touch and show interest. I certainly know if it were me I'd rather sell a bit cheaper to know it would be used and cared for than bought to strip or something - but we aren't all the same, some people are of course just interested in the best possible price. I've not followed price of cinqs for a while either so can't really comment on the general price they go for but as above, just cause one sold for x amount doesn't really mean you can use that as a guide on another anymore, they are too niche now for that imo.

Thanks for your thoughts, all input appreciated!. I have actually seen the car in the flesh and bodily I couldn't spot anything of much concern in the usual problem areas, bar the inner sills being a bit crispy at the rear end and a minor scuff on one rear wheelarch.. The colour is 'Surf Metallic' according to the label inside the tailgate. I do particularly like the early cars and the all-important interior is in good shape. I think the item on the dash top is an alarm sensor and probably attached by sticky pad.

I'd certainly like to take the car on and preserve that originality. It would be great to drive it to next years Festival of the Unexceptional. There's always a chance the owner may eventually relent on the asking price. He said to him it's just an old car that's in the way, yet has a geatly inflated idea of it's worth. I offered him a good deal more than scrap value but it cut no ice so I think the best thing for now is to walk away and if he really does need it shifting he may be more willing to negotiate.

I'll keep you posted!

Steve

Back