General Non interference engines

Currently reading:
General Non interference engines

Tinaareba

Hi guys, I'm after a bit of advice again please. Can anyone tell me if a 2.3 multijet 120 is a non interference engine. The engine code is F1AE0481D but I can't find any info on it online. Thanks for any help.

Not certain on this model but most modern diesels will be severely damaged if the cam belt snaps.

Hi

As far as I know, both inlet and exhaust valves on this engine dip down about 6 mm into the cylinder during operation. If the cam belt is fitted wrongly by more than about 1 tooth, or it snaps, the valve heads will meet the pistons at some point....

Thanks for the replies guys, it's sort of what we expected. We had a tiny glimmer of hope that it might be a non interference engine but not to worry. We broke down in the van but it said it was a fuel problem some thought we had water in the fuel as we had not long filled him up, got the tank drained and the guy agreed with water contamination. Showed a throttle body error code on the reader so changed that and put new battery on as old one died waiting for recovery. Turned over lovely just wouldn't fire. Tried to start it again when we got him recovered to somewhere off the road and there was no compression so we were hoping that the damage may not be so severe, any thoughts or opinions most welcome.

I read some engines are designed to snap the rocker arms if the piston contacts the valve. Dunno if it applies to the engine you have.
:cool:

Because diesel engines run on very high compression pressures, they have very tight combustion chambers. It is very unlikely that any 'small' diesel engine since the 1960s would be non-interference. That is why there would be no reference in any description.
It is possible that some of the enormous engines in ships might have enough clearance, or other industrial applications. (Before anyone feels the need to add a list of exceptions!)

Back