Technical Noisy

Currently reading:
Technical Noisy

BF95

Saturday I replaced my near side front bearing, then the calliper housing blots snapped I when and picked up 2 from fiat, since then the car has had a noise that only happens when you drive roughly 3 miles then below 10mph the near side starts making a grinding noise it's not consistent like it a sand paper on metal noise but it disappears at the higher speed you go, I thought it would have been the break heat shield possibly catching but had the disks off and knocked it all down but the noise is still there, any ideas of what it could be?

Using a press to push out the centre ball bearings then a hammer a chisel to remove the outer ring which was stuck and the same with the bit the was on the spleen section then pressed a new on into place, I kept adjusting the heat shield cause that's the noise it's making a tinny catching noise but when it gets hot it's like it distorts the shield, and catches, but someone at work that it could be brakes catching or the bearing was pressed in at an angle

So another £40 on an bearing? Or bash the head shield clean the calliper housing down then clean down the sliders and see if that's any better? Or do I just go to a scrap yard and pick out the hole strut with everything attached?

Dont get the whole strut

Why?
Wear and balance
Just buy a 2nd hand hub with bearing and possibly driveshaft
Saves time with torquing up bolts and stuff

You simple remove strut bolts to swivel hub
Track rod end
Bottom ball joint bolts
Disconnect Gaitor on gearbox cup
Brake caliper
Brake disc removed

Remove hub unit and refit in reverse

Ziggy

Suppose but even then I've just soent £40 putting a new bearing but a new I hub I will have to look for in scrap yard or eBay

Suppose but even then I've just soent £40 putting a new bearing but a new I hub I will have to look for in scrap yard or eBay

Yea scrap yard my friend

2 things tho
1 You dont know the condition of the CV joint - its gaitors either
The Bearing itself or the needle bearings in the other side

It could be in the scrap yard for that very reason - worn bearings and something else

Tread carefully friend

Ziggy

did you just replace the bearing? why didnt you just buy a hub and bearing together? there both quite cheap these days especailly for a punto mk2....
as for driving while the noise is still present may cause some wear and tear but not for certain on that one....
if it was me id be replacing the hub and bearing:)
dont get neither from scrappy either, never recommended always go brand new with this sort of stuff!
last time i brought a hub and bearing i paid £22 inc vat from eurocarparts.

Last edited:
Back