General Oil leak + noisy/rattling exhaust when pulling off

Currently reading:
General Oil leak + noisy/rattling exhaust when pulling off

josh69notts

Hi everyone, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I took my Fiat Punto 55 reg 1.2 active to the local garage on Monday - there was a hole in the exhaust system near the flexpipe (where the two bolts sit.) Had the exhaust re-sleeved, oil + air filter change along with a new horn. When I picked the car up driving home yesterday I could smell burning coming from under the car and oil is leaking onto the flexpipe (unsure if this is the garage's fault after not properly discarding the oil and left a fair bit on the front axle - cant see any oil leaks from the engine)

Whats also more instinctive is pulling away in reverse/gear one on a slight incline the exhaust makes a right racket/noise - or when im driving in a higher gear and take my foot off the accelerator the noise comes around again.

Car is due to go back to the garage tomorrow afternoon since i've complained about it, any help/advice before I go there would be greatfully appreciated since my knowledge of cars is not up to scratch to be honest. I've attached a couple of photos

Thanks!

Attachments

• WP_20190723_16_21_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190723_16_21_51_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • exhaust1.jpg
    exhaust1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Normally the exhaust rattle is the rear silencer hitting the suspension due to the rear mounting rubber needing replacing. If you go the back of the vehicle try moving the pipe with your foot, if the rubber has failed you can move the pipe and hear it banging the suspension, its a cheap fix as the replacement rubber costs a couple of quid. The oil leak could be residue oil that flowed out when the Filter was removed, although i would have thought the garage would have cleaned that off before completing the job

Last edited:
Back