Technical No Start

Currently reading:
Technical No Start

74FiatX19

A while back, I was trying to get my X to turn over when I was working on it. I turned the key. All I heard was a clickity click sound under the dash on the passenger side. I hunted the sound down and found a small box (metal?) that was making that horrible racket. I was told it was a solenoid or something like that. Anyway. I was hoping to get some advice or knowledge fed to my brain to solve the issue. I cannot access my X at this point in time due to the fact that it is on the other side of the country.

The box is a solenoid as stated and is just a big relay. If it goes click and the starter doesn't turn then either

a) the high capacity cable from the battery to the solenoid is damaged
b) the high capacity cable from the solenoid the starter is damaged
c) the engine earth is damaged
or
d) the starter is broken and no amount of regular battery power is going to turn it

Try running a cable direct from the battery to the starter and see if it spins (make sure it can handle the current otherwise it will just melt pretty much instantly). If it doesn't then either the earth is the problem or the starter itself. If it does then it is the wiring between the battery and the starter (including the solenoid itself).

Back