no red key help

Currently reading:
no red key help

D

dean

Ive bought a 98 bravo supplied only with blue key, key works ok but i'm afraid of loosinfg it. how do i get a replacment key cut without the red key?

red keys probs

You can have a copy of your blue key cut a timsons for about £12 quid, but neither of them will sort out any engine probs you have.
If you go to FIAT for a red key, they will charge about £800, although you can find sites that advertise here that will bypass all your engine stuff and they only charge about £200

I did the same last june.
The follwing is based on independant advice I recieved.

The legal situation is: the car has been sold as defective. (You can quote the sales of goods act)

You are well within your rights to refer back to the seller and demand that they rectify the problem or refund your money, or propose some other acceptable offer.

This is the line I took. I had to pester them alot
and they gave me a bit of a run around but in the end, to rectify the problem, they had to replace the red key which meant they had to replace all the locks, ECO and code box.

The garage I bought from is part of a large concern that did have ties to fiats.

Obviously if you bought privatly you may have difficulty with the previous owner. But any garage
should comply.

Also, you may have to be prepared to take into account any disount you recieved. However, argue your case. You did not now the fiat red key was so essential and you did not know it was 1200 pounds to replace. I assume.

Write to them immidiatly letting them know of the defect and your requirments. Keep all correspondance.
If you belong to an auto club, seek their advice.

Good Luck.

patrick and steve

Thanks for the advice I'll keep pestering the car dealer for a solution, so I guess I have no option but not to loose my key?

a bit more info

If you do pursue it with your dealer, section 14 of the sales of goods act is the applicable legislation.

A search of this on the WEB should take you to the
appropriate government document. (This gives generalised statements)

I was informed that because the Fiat Master key is
so essential for some maintenance work and because it costs so much to replace, the car is considered defective under this act if it is not passed on with it.