Technical No power to go....

Currently reading:
Technical No power to go....

4matt

While driving to the tip on friday i pulled up to the roundabout before it then when i put my foot down to go.... Nothing happened.... well something did i stalled the car. Started fine and then gently pushed the accelerator and managed to get the engine to rev slightly. Nursed the car into the tip got rid of rubbish then nursed the car home.

Acceleration was slow but managed to get the car up to 60 on the duel carrageway but since then i haven't managed to get to the top of the road at over 20. There is a nasty smell from the engine exhast too.

Thought it was clutch slip at first but the car wont accelerate like normal while out of gear sitting on the drive. Checked the air filter and its clean.

My car is a multijet diesel delivered may 2005 bought second hand 10 months ago.

Any help anyone?:bang:

Could be a number of things, like supercharging pressure sensor, airflow meter, maybe EGR valve, etc.

If it's a May 2005 build, it'll just be in it's 3rd year warranty and barring any wiring faults, it should be covered. Although you will likely have to pay the initial diagnostic charge, but you can normally claim it back if the fault is a covered item as far as I know.

While driving to the tip on friday i pulled up to the roundabout before it then when i put my foot down to go.... Nothing happened.... well something did i stalled the car. Started fine and then gently pushed the accelerator and managed to get the engine to rev slightly. Nursed the car into the tip got rid of rubbish then nursed the car home.

Acceleration was slow but managed to get the car up to 60 on the duel carrageway but since then i haven't managed to get to the top of the road at over 20. There is a nasty smell from the engine exhast too.

Thought it was clutch slip at first but the car wont accelerate like normal while out of gear sitting on the drive. Checked the air filter and its clean.

My car is a multijet diesel delivered may 2005 bought second hand 10 months ago.

Hi 4Matt

Sounds very like something happened to me within the past two months.

Here is the post and it's follow up I sent:

Hi all,

I put the following post in this thread on 23rd March, 07:

Hi,

Good idea to list the various faults - I am about to list all of the faults on the Jan 05 MJ Dynamic I own

1. Dashboard (heating controls) bulb went - seems to happen after service for
some strange reason - €2 to fix.

Ah, that's it I'm afraid, no complaints otherwise!

Am I tempting faith with this post? Hope not.

Regards to all,

BJ20

Sad to say, I was tempting faith, with 92 K Kms on the clock, the engine management light came on - it stayed on for a few days and I noticed that it would not rev above 2,000 revs so it went in to the dealer - Result: a fuel sensor was giving problems. Fixed in one day and back on the road, warranty work so no cost. Except of course having to take a half day off work etc.

At least it did not let me down, it went over and back to work (round trip about 88 miles or 126 of them new Kilometre things) but just not very fast. It would not cross about 100 Kph but then again, it showed that the limp home mode works.

Hopefully that is that. No more tempting faith.

Stay safe,
Any help anyone?:bang:

Might be turbo as suggested but thay might shut you down altogether. Any Engine Management light ever come on?

It's call "Limp home mode" - as you discovered :)

Good luck with it either way.

BJ 20

I don't know, but I wouldn't suspect the turbo myself, as it's purely mechanical.
The smell from the exhaust - what did it smell like? Unburnt fuel? Oil? Burning? Sulphur (rotten eggs) is a common smell on petrol engines, but I don't know if that applies to diesel.

I'm pretty sure the exhaust is blocked, it can be either the EGR valve or the particulate filter, I'd guess it's the last one. It's very common with modern diesels. If it produces more smoke then usual, it's almost certain one of the above. The good news is that it's easy to clean/replace the part.

Well there is more smoke than normal.

No Engine managment light... or any warning lights at all for that matter.

The smell is a diesel sooty smell! best i can describe it.

Bloke down the road reconds it might be the injectors.

I have it booked in on thursday.

My hand book ect says the warrenty is two years! with option to buy year three. This is not stamped. So the previouse owner didn't buy year three.

Thanks to everyone who has given the help in this thread i shall now go armed to the garage......:worship:

You sure it isn't just a turbo hose that's popped of or split?

I have had a good look round under the hood... and under the car too. However the way everything is packed into the engine bay its difficult to see anything well.

Thanks for the help....(y)

PANDA'S Back! YIPEEEE!:D

Well the Panda came back home last night and it's trip to the clinic was successful. Turns out it was the EGR Valve.

The computer told my garage that it had two faults The mass air flow meter and the EGR valve. However its was the garage's choice to do the cheepest part first and this cleared the other fault. So be aware if you have the same sort of problems that one thing can cause two faults on the EMS computer.

So got the car back and it's back to its usual flying self. I am £200 out of pocket but happy it's sorted and didn't cost me £300 more for the other part.

Thanks to everyone for your help:worship:

The computer told my garage that it had two faults The mass air flow meter and the EGR valve. However its was the garage's choice to do the cheepest part first and this cleared the other fault. So be aware if you have the same sort of problems that one thing can cause two faults on the EMS computer.

air flow meter works in tandem with the EGR after all the EGR operated when the airflow meter tells the ECU to open/close it so most of the time you will get both airflow & EGR errors.There is a set of parameters available to determine which is at fault.

Good its fixed:)

I had a very similar thing happen to my MJ its a 55 plate with 20,000 ish miles done.
I was on the M1 went to overtake the car in front put foot down on throttle and
nothing put throttle down fully and still nothing so pulled into slow lane and managed to creep along at 45!!! I didnt have any funny smells from the exhaust though unlike 4matt. Managed to get it fixed by my local garage (fantastic mechanic) and lo and behold it was both the EGR and air flow meter he did try the air flow meter first as with 4matt's mechanic but it was found that it was BOTH the parts.
Cost me £200 all told (£20 air flow meter £80 EGR valve both genuine Fiat parts).
Now the car is transformed, ever since I bought it with only 4000 on the clock and 8 months old the turbo has always kicked in at 1800rpm very noticably so going from stand still has always been an art (when I bought the car I had already tried another MJ Panda and a Corsa with the same engine in. Both of which had this same turbo lag). But now its like a different engine it pulls eagerly from standstill NO turbo lag and far more torque than it has ever had. As you have all noticed I'm sure the turbo is very noticable with its loud whistling, well the thing I have noticed is that before the repair the turbo didnt sound below 1800rpm (hardly suprising as it didnt kick in till then) when the car went wrong with loss of power no turbo whistle at all until 3800ish rpm (I had to rev it this high just to shift the car), and now the whistle creeps in from about 1000ish rpm and is very progressive.

Oh and I did not once have a engine management light come on!

Am now a very happy Panda owner.:D

Last edited:
Back