Technical no flashing!!

Currently reading:
Technical no flashing!!

keithabi

hi all,anyone ever had any problems with indicators on a brava.sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.a smack on tne underside of the steering column sometimes works,is this the location of the flasher unit?if so,how do you remove the steering wheel to check the connections without setting the airbag off!!!cheers....

Yes. sammiboo's car had this problem. It got worse over time. We got a replacement stalk assembly from a breaker, as the Fiat price was nearly £200. Been fine since.
H

Broken stalks are a reasonably common problem for Bravo/a owners and like Sammi says are well worth replacing. The shroud around the wheel comes off easily enough with a couple of screws and bit of wrigling, a wanring though you will probably end up with your airbag light on.

Keep battery disconnected & reconnect only when you are sure everything is ok & all connectors back in place.As Helz said airbag light will come on if you switch ignition on with clockspring disconnected or you f*ck up the clockspring thus secure it in place with a piece of tape so it can't turn.If it does turn you have to centralize (centralise?) it otherwise next time you turn steering to full lock it'll break the clockspring.

T14086 said:
Keep battery disconnected & reconnect only when you are sure everything is ok & all connectors back in place.As Helz said airbag light will come on if you switch ignition on with clockspring disconnected or you f*ck up the clockspring thus secure it in place with a piece of tape so it can't turn.If it does turn you have to centralize (centralise?) it otherwise next time you turn steering to full lock it'll break the clockspring.

I wonder if that's what I've done and why my light is on? How do I know if it is and if I have broken it, is it fixable?

If clockspring is broken it will (although not always) make a 'crunching' noise when turning the wheel & often horn wont work aswell.Like I say if ignition is switched on with clockspring disconnected it will bring light on.....your local dealer prob best bet to put it on examiner....you know your friendly carsisle dealer;)

carsisle,carlisle,carilise (must be one of them...word I could never spell:eek: )

T14086 said:
If clockspring is broken it will (although not always) make a 'crunching' noise when turning the wheel & often horn wont work aswell.Like I say if ignition is switched on with clockspring disconnected it will bring light on.....your local dealer prob best bet to put it on examiner....you know your friendly carsisle dealer;)

carsisle,carlisle,carilise (must be one of them...word I could never spell:eek: )

It's in my location under my name :D Nope, wheel doesn't make a crunching noise and horn is well and truly LOUD so it isn't that. My usual garage has invested in diagnostics and already offered to sort it at next service so will take it to them, County Motors Carlisle would no doubt send it back with some more lights on for good measure. No offence to them but when your first experience is bad, you tend not to go back unless desperate :eek:

Helz said:
It's in my location under my name :D

oh yeah:eek: oops!

You can do a resistance check on the clockspring wiring but you need to be VERY careful,even the small button battery inside a multimeter can set the airbag off:( So you would obviously need to disconnect the clockspring completely for safety.

Back