General no fixing point drivers mat.

Currently reading:
General no fixing point drivers mat.

overml

Picked up a new TA Lounge. No mats fitted by the dealer so bought some from ebay. When fitting them today I noticed there is no fixing on the floor of the car. Is this right?

Picked up a new TA Lounge. No mats fitted by the dealer so bought some from ebay. When fitting them today I noticed there is no fixing on the floor of the car. Is this right?

You are right. italian practicality at its finest. So if you get bored in traffic, you can always slide the matt around the driver side carpet floor for entertainment.

That is correct. Rubber mats are better IMHO anyway :)

I recall genuine Fiat mats came with a stud that you fitted yourself. It screwed into the carpet and the mat clipped to it. But it's been a few years since i dealt with that.
That is also correct. Something just seemed wrong about screwing a stud into the carpet on my car.

The mats I was supplied with had velcro backing strips which allowed the mat to cling to the carpet.

mine to from the dealer, no problems with slippage either

The Velcro works fine, cannot see the logic behind the plastic screw anchor point into the carpet. It doesn't hold firmly but no doubt Fiat thought it was the deign feature of the year. :slayer:

The velcro doesn't do the carpet any favours, to the point that mine is now getting less grippy and the mat is now moving around a bit as a result.

The potential consequences of mats getting stuck underneath brake pedals means that it is not a bad idea to go "belt and braces" with the screw thing as well as the velco (although I confess to not following my own advice here).

you can always use the rubberised mesh, cut 1" shorter than the mat and place between carpet and mat, works well but wash it every 6 months to remove podery dust.

Thanks for all he replies. Been testing the mats and they seem to be staying in place. They do have some sort of grip matterial on the back so all seems fine at the mo.

Back