Newcomer,introduction& rambles on about Citroens, Uno's, Pandas and random car things

Currently reading:
Newcomer,introduction& rambles on about Citroens, Uno's, Pandas and random car things

amphibious

Hello from a just joined newcomer.:slayer::slayer:

Deep breath:- (long post alert :bang:, get a coffee) :eek:

Introduction about me:- I dont often write big articles/blogs, so this is once in a while!

I bought a Uno 45 as my 'new' fun car. I knew they were brilliant when I drove other peoples in the the 1990's!

My car background though is mostly (real historic) Citroen ; with the odd Triumph and Alfa thrown in. :cool::confused:

I have, in my time, driven a Citroen 2CV around (parts of) fthe Arctic Circle to Asia (only blew three headlight bulbs on whole trip- (I like Citroen engineering). I even had the British Embassy in Latvia issue it with a kind of "car passport" following car document thefts. I did this not so long after the break up of the Soviet Union, and I think things were a little rougher then (?-but I have not been back since to compare).

I sold that car years ago, and it is the Uno that has replaced my sub 1 litre(ish) engine size car, fun and cheap to run. :) :slayer:

My other current cars:- I brought a Citroen DS (the original ones and not the "stupid modern" ones) back from New Zealand. I have been running it for 8 years. During this time it featured on a gliding cd in New Zealand (I fly planes & gliders for 'fun'), and it was on a music festival website in the UK.However I think the time has come to part with that car now as I am back up to owning three cars again. I may even be going down to just having the Uno.

I sailed until this summer, and my car for that and taking the boat to the beach was a Citroen XM V6 24 valve 3 litre, from the last few months of production. Brilliant and fast. But at 25 mpg (28.2 mpg on long cross country runs), I am moving over from that into my 1 litre Fiat Uno, but the common theme is they are both fun to drive 'drivers' cars. So a 1 litre car, can be like and 'similar' a 3 litre car.

When I lived in South Africa (I am a Brit) I had an Alfasud Sprint. South Africans love those and the GTV6!

All brilliant cars I feel. The red colour (Ferrari red ;-) ) of my Alfa there was the same/very similar to the Uno I have here. So I got my Uno in red to remind me of my South African Alfa days!.

In the 90's I used two other peoples Unos from time to time. This coloured my opinion and meant I had to get a Fiat Uno again now 20 years later! I can say emphatically that a 1 litre Fiat Uno can and does totally leave standing and out drag 1.9 litre Diesel cars, such as the Citroen ZX.

Why did I choose a 23 year old Fiat Uno above all the other small and newer cars that I could have chosen? Well they are fun and a 'real drivers car I think. Fast for the engine size, light and economic. I dislike modern "numb" cars.

Having driven a (new model not a classic model) Fiat Panda , I was shocked!The 'old' Fiat principles of having a light fun nippy car (from a small engine) seem to have gone out of the window a bit. The new Panda was not fun to drive compared to what I am used to, and it can be scary on the handling limit.

Quite scary.

And why on the (new) Panda, did they design a car where the windscreen pillar blocks out vision on bends, and low walls,more so than any other car that I have driven.? In Lanzarote with low walls and tight bends you *really* notice those design issues. I wonder if Pandas therefore knock more cyclists over on average, due to the blindspots in the windscreen pillars?

So an Uno it was for me. Especially as it has been delivering up to 58mpg, (accurately recorded) from the New Forest to the west country/Exmoor/Devon etc.

Incidentally as I am sure you all know, *never* trust your car computer fuel consumption read out. On my mums 2011 Seat Ibiza ST (same as VW, Audi, Skoda drivetrains) the computer nearly always gives an mpg reading of 5mpg *above* the real actual, physically measured mpg.The only time it read the other way was on a deliberately economical drive across southern England from Kent to the New Forest along the A272.

The car computer then said 52mpg,however actual was 58mpg. That is the *only* time in 2 years the computer has given a worse off mpg then real mpg. I assume all cars??? are the same. I would therefore ask anyone that quotes there car mpg figures...to only quote them if you have physically measured the fuel consumption from the petrol pump and worked it out with the mileage yourself. Otherwise the figures are 'worthless' and probably not correct.

More about me:-

I dislike:-

Diesel cars, because I do a lot or running/swimming and used to cycle.

Diesel fumes, even from modern vehicles with filters, leave one breathless, when ones lungs are working at high capacity on or beside a road. In comparison petrol cars hardly causes a cough. Most people seem unaware of this, (or do not care) when they buy diesels. I wish this fact would be publicised more when people choose to buy diesels. Asthmatics in cities is another overlooked consequence.

I did own a diesel car once, before I was aware of these diesel externalities. It was Fiat Uno Turbo diesel imported from Italy by a previous owner, as Turbo Diesel Unos were not available in the UK. It was too heavy, and lost the light 'Uno' feel.

I also do not like the way car companies, such as Citroen and Fiat have recycled the old car names, and put them on new totally different model. New cars that are so far away from the original design concept and namesake ethos. Eg Citroen with their DS. Look at the original and what you get now with the same badge.

I like:-
Flying, Sailing, Travelling, motorbikes, Citroens &Fiats (only the 'proper historic' models though), History,accurate information, the British Museum and Tate Britain!

Breathe again, or you can wake up now! . :worship::p

Re: Newcomer,introduction& rambles on about Citroens, Uno's, Pandas and random car th

Never heard of it. I am not a member of any car related club.

Back