Stilo Newbie with overheating

Currently reading:
Stilo Newbie with overheating

AbarthSA

Hi Evry1,

I`m from SA, I was on the forum many years ago with an Uno turbo but acquired myself a spotless Stilo AAbarth 2.4 20V manual, just loving her to bits. I do have one problem that popped up. On thursday she overheated suddenly , left her to cooldown and saw the water bottle cap was shot so i got a new one yesterday. That part is sorted, however she still overheats. Checked the thermostat and its fine. Then checked all the hoses for leaks etc.

The hose from the waterbottle to the head is cold
The hose from the thermo housing to the the radiator is hot
The hose from the radiator back to the head is cold
The little thin pipe from the housing to the water bottle is cold
The heater also does not get hot inside the car

I`m really battling and do not just want take the waterpump off as it`s a big job.....

Can anyone tell me how the check the pump if it`s circulating or might it me a blockage somewhere?

Thank you evry1

Hi
Not sure how you checked the thermostat nor at what stage your pipes is cold, but sounds like it is your thermostat.

Thermostat will only open to radiator after 90 deg is reached.
Flow can be checked by opening water bottle cap, reving motor and see if water circulate inside the bottle, using a torch. (Note: When engine cold)

You might still have some air in the system.
So system might overheat at idle but will clear when driving ( higher rpm's)

Last edited:
Cool thank you very much. I Checked the thermostat with boiling water and seem to open and close. I have an old housing as well and removed the thermostat completely. The pipe from the housing to radiator was hot when the car's gauge was in the middle where it notmally sits. At that temp the bottom pipe of the radiator going to the head is cold then. I suspected a blocked radiator but then also the heater pipes are cold which then says its circulation. I don't know these engines at all.

When the car idles it doe 't overheat...only when driving higher rpm's

Does your fan kick in?
Different speeds?

Airlock will get pumped out at higher rpm.

The fan does kick in, slow speed at middle of gauge the picks up to full speed just before 3/4

Back